Orton officially released from Dallas per PFT

madlithuanian

• 2 weeks later...

Why would we want to invest anything in a guy who is willing to give up millions of dollars so he can retire? We cannot give him a contract anywhere close to what he walked away from with the Cowboys. I'm sure Emery has not forgotten his lesson from last season when that DT (Ellis?) quit on him the first week of camp.

Why would we want to invest anything in a guy who is willing to give up millions of dollars so he can retire? We cannot give him a contract anywhere close to what he walked away from with the Cowboys. I'm sure Emery has not forgotten his lesson from last season when that DT (Ellis?) quit on him the first week of camp.

One word (name): Jerry Jones. That's why he might consider retiring. But I'd be good with Kyle coming back. He's not a real dynamic performer but consistent.

I think I read that he gets $4 mil this year regardless of what he does. Not sure how that worked but theoretically he could sign on with the Bears and still be paid like he was with Dallas without being in Dallas.

As far as him coming to Chicago, and as I was saying in another thread, both Palmer and Clausen would have to flop something fierce before it's considered. I don't know that they'll keep three QBs on the active roster anyhow. Fales, if he makes it, will probably end up on the PS. Of the two remaining, Clausen probably has the better shot because of his connection to Trestman.

One word (name): Jerry Jones. That's why he might consider retiring. But I'd be good with Kyle coming back. He's not a real dynamic performer but consistent.

I think I read that he gets $4 mil this year regardless of what he does. Not sure how that worked but theoretically he could sign on with the Bears and still be paid like he was with Dallas without being in Dallas.

As far as him coming to Chicago, and as I was saying in another thread, both Palmer and Clausen would have to flop something fierce before it's considered. I don't know that they'll keep three QBs on the active roster anyhow. Fales, if he makes it, will probably end up on the PS. Of the two remaining, Clausen probably has the better shot because of his connection to Trestman.

If retired, he will receive 1.127 off of his bonus money. we should only consider him if the people we brought in fail. There is only so much time to see what our QB prospects can do and a vet like Orton will only be brought in if they fail. Is he better? if he wants to retire from football, no one will ever no.

If retired, he will receive 1.127 off of his bonus money. we should only consider him if the people we brought in fail. There is only so much time to see what our QB prospects can do and a vet like Orton will only be brought in if they fail. Is he better? if he wants to retire from football, no one will ever no.

I'd be good with it. The whole deal is weird with the Cowboys paying Orton huge money to be a backup and then bringing in Brandon Weedon.

To me it's one of two things:

1) Orton wants a final chance to prove he can be a starter. He won't be that at Dallas and could have been bumped to #3. Or,

2) He really wants to retire

If he's going to play, my guess is that he's going to one of half the teams in the league that has turmoil at the QB position. Houston anyone? Either way, I don't see him coming to the Bears.

The latest from PFT...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...ack-kyle-orton/

Bears G.M. open to bringing back Kyle Orton

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT

Kyle Orton

AP

It’s unclear whether free agent quarterback Kyle Orton plans to play in the NFL again. But if he does, Bears General Manager Phil Emery would be interested in bringing him back to Chicago.

“I have great respect for Kyle,” Emery said on ESPN Radio. “When I was in Kansas City, we brought him in. That’s the famous claim the Bears figured they would get [in 2011]. We claimed him. He came in. He started against the Bears; got hurt first or second play. At the time in Kansas City, we won the game. The next week, he starts against Green Bay, an undefeated Green Bay team [which] had the longest winning streak in football at that point. [He] beat them; beat them in Kansas City. Great leadership skills, guys really like playing for him, big arm. So the skill set is there. But as far as where he’s going in his career… that we don’t know.”

Orton was released by the Cowboys after staying home from all offseason work, and there’s been some talk that he plans to retire. But Orton hasn’t done so yet, and it’s possible that he could play if given the right opportunity. Orton was drafted by the Bears in 2005 and played in Chicago for four years.

Backing up Jay Cutler in Chicago may be that opportunity. Jordan Palmer and Jimmy Clausen are currently competing for the No. 2 spot in Chicago, with rookie sixth-round draft pick David Fales expected to make the roster as the No. 3. If Orton is motivated, he’d be a better option than anyone currently in Bears camp. Unfortunately for the Bears, Emery seems to believe that Orton will retire, and so Emery is more focused on the guys the Bears have in camp.

“We’re extremely excited about Jay, and we’re extremely excited about the competition we have for the backups. If we see a player at quarterback or any other position that can help us, we’ll certainly take a look,” Emery said.

Orton knows that if he wants to play, Emery is just a phone call away.

The latest from PFT...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...ack-kyle-orton/

Bears G.M. open to bringing back Kyle Orton

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT

Kyle Orton

AP

It’s unclear whether free agent quarterback Kyle Orton plans to play in the NFL again. But if he does, Bears General Manager Phil Emery would be interested in bringing him back to Chicago.

“I have great respect for Kyle,” Emery said on ESPN Radio. “When I was in Kansas City, we brought him in. That’s the famous claim the Bears figured they would get [in 2011]. We claimed him. He came in. He started against the Bears; got hurt first or second play. At the time in Kansas City, we won the game. The next week, he starts against Green Bay, an undefeated Green Bay team [which] had the longest winning streak in football at that point. [He] beat them; beat them in Kansas City. Great leadership skills, guys really like playing for him, big arm. So the skill set is there. But as far as where he’s going in his career… that we don’t know.”

Orton was released by the Cowboys after staying home from all offseason work, and there’s been some talk that he plans to retire. But Orton hasn’t done so yet, and it’s possible that he could play if given the right opportunity. Orton was drafted by the Bears in 2005 and played in Chicago for four years.

Backing up Jay Cutler in Chicago may be that opportunity. Jordan Palmer and Jimmy Clausen are currently competing for the No. 2 spot in Chicago, with rookie sixth-round draft pick David Fales expected to make the roster as the No. 3. If Orton is motivated, he’d be a better option than anyone currently in Bears camp. Unfortunately for the Bears, Emery seems to believe that Orton will retire, and so Emery is more focused on the guys the Bears have in camp.

“We’re extremely excited about Jay, and we’re extremely excited about the competition we have for the backups. If we see a player at quarterback or any other position that can help us, we’ll certainly take a look,” Emery said.

Orton knows that if he wants to play, Emery is just a phone call away.

I'm still good with him coming to Chicago, in a back up role. He defines "game manager". Doesn't throw big yards but doesn't make many mistakes. Would he work in Trestmans O? Cerebrally yes but dynamically? Hard to say. From my recollection Orton still gets his money from Dallas regardless of what he does so if he wants another shot...on a wining team...sounds like Emery will be willing.

Question now is how would he do in competing for the back up role? From what it sounds Palmer may be leaving soon because he's just not clicking. Clausen is a little more of an unknown. Mostly because he's been off the radar for the last few years. From reading into this article I don't get the impression that Clausen has 'burnt any bridges' and still is showing promise. If I had to choose between the two (Orton and Clausen) I'd go Clausen because he's younger and potentially a higher ceiling. But, Orton comes in a very close second because of his proven record.

Notice the quote from our own GM, who's considered a stickler for specifics in player scouting, saying Orton has a "big arm".

It's been a long time at this point but that used to be a real pet peeve of mine, because Kyle weirdly got the reputation for the opposite among some people (yes, even in these forums). Eventually though, I just used it as a sort of litmus test. If a post referred to him as being weak armed, I knew right then I was dealing with a fan who'll shape their opinion based on the blabber they read on the internet more than what they see on the field.

Anyway, he might as well retire. Coming here to backup a guy who just signed a ridonkulous contract, a guy he's outperformed (statistically, albeit barely) since that guy got him shipped out of town...I don't see that happening. Retire a multi-millionaire and leave the CTE to the football heroes.