The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

AZ54

Offense…

We have an oline, even without two of our starters. When Slauson went out and then soon after Garza I was worried how the backups would handle it. Buffalo's Dline is the strength of their defense and for most of the game, even with the backups, Cutler had time to throw and Forte had holes to run through, enough to get a 4.8ypc avg.

Cutler was in control of the offense throughout. He must stop the boneheaded decision like the late INT but there is plenty of discussion of that in the other threads so no need to belabor the point here. Jay looked comfortable before the snap, calling protections, and when making audibles and making sure everyone was lined up. We were usually at the LOS with plenty of time to get all that done and execute the play.

RBs…we used Forte too much and he dropped a TD pass. I get that we were trying to get back in the game and I'd have kept him out there too but over the course of the season he's going to need more rest.

WRs…without Alshon and Wilson we're not very good. Thankfully Marshall did not blow out his knee when it was bent backwards. Holmes doesn't know enough of the offense yet to be fully engaged but I remain optimistic for him as the season moves along. How was it not defensive holding or PI when that DB held him on that entire route near the end of regulation?

Defense

Pass rush where are you? Jared Allen looks old and slow. He didn't play much in preseason and said he was ready to go for the game but if that's all he's got things aren't looking good for the rest of the season.

Dline held their own in the run game and there were no highway lanes like we gave up last year…unless Briggs gambled and took himself out of position. He did that at least twice, including the big play that gave up the huge run to end the game. Sutton made a nice play for a loss late in the game, hopefully a sign of things to come.

LBs..Briggs looks fat and slow. On top of that his mistakes were often glaring in that he gave up big plays. I didn't see much of SMC out there, seemed like we were in nickel D most often with Briggs and Bostic the only LBs. It's hard to focus on this when I'm not at home but Bostic, while not spectacular, seemed like our best LB today.

DBs…too often the coverage was poor especially in that soft spot in the middle between CB and S. People are ripping on Conte because he went after the ball and not the tackle on the overtime run but at that point I'd go for the strip too. He had a nice read on his INT.

Special teams kick coverage has improved a lot since a few weeks ago.

Good analysis.....My fears after the first game are the old guys on D will kill us. Agreed the Briggs looks fat and slow, Allen was invisible out there and is going to be a liability in the run game (I didn't want him for that reason), and Tillman is not gonna be able to stick with speedy WRs.

Good analysis.....My fears after the first game are the old guys on D will kill us. Agreed the Briggs looks fat and slow, Allen was invisible out there and is going to be a liability in the run game (I didn't want him for that reason), and Tillman is not gonna be able to stick with speedy WRs.

Overall it was still a better showing than what the Bears D was able to put together last year. The O turned the ball over 3 times, the game went to OT, and the Bears still only gave up 23 points. Even though the Bills aren't the best offense in the league, they didn't torch the team through the air and they were only able to get 15 first downs during the game compared to the Bears 29. The D wasn't spectacular against the run, particularly if you factor in the game killer, but at least so far it wasn't an open gate; until that final run the Bills were at about 4.7 ypc.

That's not the best defense in the league, but so far thats a major improvement from last year.

Imagine what the Eagles, Seahawks, won't even mention Denver, would do to this team

The Bears simply have to do a better job scoring if they play a team like the Eagles or Broncos. Hell, they'll have to do a better job putting points up next week against the 9ers if they want to hang there too.

The Bears were one of the top offenses in the league last year. They're not going to win games if they can't put up more than 20 points.

The Bears simply have to do a better job scoring if they play a team like the Eagles or Broncos. Hell, they'll have to do a better job putting points up next week against the 9ers if they want to hang there too.

The Bears were one of the top offenses in the league last year. They're not going to win games if they can't put up more than 20 points.

It would have certainly helped if Alshon was out there. He played just 49% of the snaps. That takes away a huge element of the offense. Marshall was gimpy as well. They turned into last years Falcons (Julio Jones was hurt and Roddy White was dealing with nagging injuries).