Anyone thinking Ted Phillips should not get fired

Chitownhustla

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0913/nfl...ets-midway.html

He has not done anything right.

One thing that is no longer true from this article is the claim that the Bears have kept their payroll down. Over the last several years this has been incorrect most years - the Bears have used up almost every scrap of their cap space each of the last few years. In some cases (like this year) that has led to them only being in the middle of the pack on total payroll, but still using up virtually the entire cap because they have so much dead space due to Peppers. Over the last several they have been close to or at the top of the league in payroll.

I totally agree with the claims of the Bears being a tremendously undervalued, poorly managed asset, but that is not because of a lack of spending on payroll for the last half decade.

I don't think the Bears keep their pay roll down.

More about Teds financial mistakes. I have said don't fire him just keep him on the business side but after reading this he doesn't derserve to be on either side

They used to. 5-8 years ago that was a legit complaint against them, but at the same time they were winning while doing it! They went in big in free agency to start filling holes in the early part of this decade (think about the day where they signed Peppers and several other players).

I'm not trying to defend the current management, I just want people to indict them for the correct reasons. They're not being cheap. They're putting money on the field and doing so in a totally ineffective way. That's not a complaint about them being cheap any more, the correct complaint is that their targets are failing to produce on the field on a regular basis.

Absolutely.

The poor decision making needs to be remedied with firings.

They used to. 5-8 years ago that was a legit complaint against them, but at the same time they were winning while doing it! They went in big in free agency to start filling holes in the early part of this decade (think about the day where they signed Peppers and several other players).

I'm not trying to defend the current management, I just want people to indict them for the correct reasons. They're not being cheap. They're putting money on the field and doing so in a totally ineffective way. That's not a complaint about them being cheap any more, the correct complaint is that their targets are failing to produce on the field on a regular basis.

Many have said Phillips needs to go, he is not a "Football" guy, just an accountant that is out of his "element"

So it is ironic to me that a 4 year old article from such a source as Forbes Magazine is used to justify the point he needs to be replaced.

Many have said Phillips needs to go, he is not a "Football" guy, just an accountant that is out of his "element"

So it is ironic to me that a 4 year old article from such a source as Forbes Magazine is used to justify the point he needs to be replaced.

Im using it because I have said it and others have said to take away the football operations from Ted and leave him on the financial side only.

I really dont think he deserves to be running the Bears on either side.

Watching the Packers vs Lions today Troy said it a couple of times, the Packers are a well run organization. This cant be said about the Bears.

You are not going to get rid of the McCaskey's, so where do you start???It starts with Ted Phillips.

I thinhk there's honestly enough out there besides this old article for fans to be upset with Phillips.

Without even looking at the article specifically...here's what we know:

1. He hired Angelo and Emery. Both Angelo and Emery to date have failed at thier overall jobs. That's to bring a championship to Chicago. Angelo also left them in a bad position after many failed drafts. Emery is hit & miss in the draft.

2. The Bears have not increased in value since he took over as president. http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/ The Bears, as of August, are # 8. And one could say their value may even be lower given the awful season at the moment. But their value is almost half of the Cowboys. 3.2B to 1.7B. The Texans are even worth more! I'm actually surprised to see PIT and GB lower...but those are not major markets.

3. The new stadium is a virtual fail. It's regarded as a joke everywhere else than Chicago. And most in Chicago thinks it just looks bad. Nice and new, but looks odd. Tack in the BS that concerts and everything else happen there, the crummy turf, and that its tens of thousands too little in seating...it's bad. For a huge city and market like Chicago...it's a fail. I love Soldier Field. But, they also used to play at Wrigley. All things must change, and they should have went elsewhere in or around the city.

I personally know finance people that could run that team from a finance angle. I'm not one of them, but I definitely know people that could. So we know he isn't a great football guy, and it would appear he's not a great finance guy...why keep him?

The answer is easy. Pure loyalty from the family. They make enough money just to not be concerned theat they aren't making more. The McCaskey's didn't earn that money. They inhereted it. Papa Bear earned it. They are happy to take their piece, have a team do just well enough every ten years, and live a content life. Sure, they love their team. But I believe folks like Bob Kraft love theirs too. He just also happens to be savvy and wants more than just enough.

The Bears will be mediocre as long at the ownership is content with such. They have tried. They have been willing to pay salaires. Peppers, etc. However, the people they hire keep making grievous errors in decision making on who to give big checks to. When you don't know how to do it...you hope that those around you do. That's what's going on. Until Goerge McCaskey and others in ownership are willing to cut their pals loose, and bring in real football business people, we will continue to be what we've been since 1985. Good every now and then, and average to poor the rest of the time. But never good enough to go the distance.

Phillips is simply the poster boy for that scenario.

I still feel that even with average people like Phillips and Emery involved, we could still luck into something with the right coach. It's doubtful, but possible. I'd just prefer above average football people in charge... At least a mistake would be a true error, not expected.

Sorry for the ramble...just frustrated over how this club is being handled.

The biggest issue, and really the only issue listed in that article is that Phillips made a deal with the City of Chicago to keep the Bears in Soldier Field. I live in Arizona and don't much care if the Bears had left the city to play in the suburbs but I do like the nostalgia of the team still playing in the city at that venue.

Jerry Jones was way ahead of the entire league when he got his own Pepsi and other sponsorships. Jerry Jones also struggled a lot (his words) trying to find the money to fund his palace and I'm suspicious of the "profit" they list in that article for the stadium. Let's take Forbes at their word and give Jerry $12mil in profit each year on his $1B investment for a rate of 1.2%. That is a horrible return on your investment. Much of that profit comes from parking fees where Jones also leads the league at $60-$75 per game, maybe that's $5mil in parking fees for the season. I'm not certain but Soldier parking appears to be roughly half of that ( I took a cab to last game two years ago). Are we asking the Bears to raise parking prices to make more profit? Fans here are already boycotting games. Raise ticket prices?

IMO the article is woefully short of details on the financial side but they are right on one thing. If we build a consistent winner the franchise value will increase significantly the same way it happened in New England.

Amen brother, amen.

I thinhk there's honestly enough out there besides this old article for fans to be upset with Phillips.

Without even looking at the article specifically...here's what we know:

1. He hired Angelo and Emery. Both Angelo and Emery to date have failed at thier overall jobs. That's to bring a championship to Chicago. Angelo also left them in a bad position after many failed drafts. Emery is hit & miss in the draft.

2. The Bears have not increased in value since he took over as president. http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/ The Bears, as of August, are # 8. And one could say their value may even be lower given the awful season at the moment. But their value is almost half of the Cowboys. 3.2B to 1.7B. The Texans are even worth more! I'm actually surprised to see PIT and GB lower...but those are not major markets.

3. The new stadium is a virtual fail. It regarded as a joke everywhere else than Chicago. And most in Chicago thinks it just looks bad. Nice and new, but looks odd. Tack in the BS that concerts and everything else happen there, ther crummy turf, and that is tens of thousands too little in seating...it's bad. For a huge city and market like Chicago...it's a fail. I love Soldier Field. But, they also used to play at Wrigley. All things must change, and they should have went elsewhere.

I personally know finance people that could run that team. I'm not one of them, but I definitely know people that could. So we know he isn't a great football guy, and it would appear he's not a great finance guy...why keep him?

The answer is easy. Pure loyalty from the family. They make enough money just to not be concerned theat they aren't making more. The mcCaskey's didn't earn that money. They inhereted it. Papa Bear earned it. They are happy to take their piece, have a team do just well enough every ten years, and live a content life. Sure, they love their team. But I believe folks like Bob Kraft love theirs too. He just also happens to be savvy and wants more than just enough.

The Bears will be mediocre as long at the ownership is content with such. They have tried. THey have been willing to pay salaires. Peppers, etc. However, the people they hire keep maing grievous errors in decision making on who to give big checks to. When you don't know how to do it...you hope that those around you do. That's what's going on. Until Goerge McCaskey and other in ownership are willing to cut their pals loose, and bring in real football business people, we will continue to be what we've been since 1985. Good every now and then, and average to poor the rest of the time. But never good enough to go the distance.

Phillips is imply the poster boy for that scenario.

I still feel that even with average people like Phillips and Emery involved, we could still luck into something with the right coach. It's doubtful, but possible. I'd just prefer above average football mena in charge... At least a mistake would be a true error, not expected.

Sorry for the ramble...just frustrated over how this club is being handled.

player salaries have absolutely no bearing on whether a franchise is cheap in today's NFL.

take that away and then decide what the mccaskey family AND halas's have done that would disprove that. they got a freebee stadium since their inception. the cost of their facilities has been below average or at VERY best average. they have cut out the best middlemen (GM's) for decades by running the franchise themselves with the one exception of finks. the people/coaches they hire outside of the family are generally at below average salary costs and end up to be generally inept.

just what have they done to say they are not cheap?