Emery is gone!

Chitownhustla

Cutler's played almost 120 games now. He's won half, lost half. When he's won, he's had a 100 QB rating and 3 to 1 TD: INT ratio. That's pretty awesome. In losses, his QB rating is 70.9 with 65 TDs and 90 INTs. That just sucks.

That's too big of a sample size and difference in play to try again. There's just too many things that need fixed, no matter the coach. It's too late to fix too.

It's not ideal, but when the team has been called a dumpster fire, and the organization has been joked about for years, and the collective of this board has hated the majority of the moves made by management, maybe, just maybe, those stats are misleading. Sure, he's had some horrible games, but I'm convinced there is something going on with the offense that has caused problems the past two years. There were far too many elementary mistakes for it to be simply players screwing up. Way too many OL/TE/RB combos not knowing the blitz pickup. Way too many false starts by WR/TE/OL. Way too many pass routes where Cutler throws right and the receiver turns left. Something just isn't right. Add in the worst defense over a 2-year stretch in Chicago Bears history, and I could see why Cutler isn't putting up ideal numbers (even though he threw for more TDs this year than in any year in his career).

Put another way, it was time to fire Emery and Trestman. Emery didn't build a good enough team to overcome poor coaching, and he didn't hire good enough coaches to overcome lesser talent.

It's not ideal, but when the team has been called a dumpster fire, and the organization has been joked about for years, and the collective of this board has hated the majority of the moves made by management, maybe, just maybe, those stats are misleading. Sure, he's had some horrible games, but I'm convinced there is something going on with the offense that has caused problems the past two years. There were far too many elementary mistakes for it to be simply players screwing up. Way too many OL/TE/RB combos not knowing the blitz pickup. Way too many false starts by WR/TE/OL. Way too many pass routes where Cutler throws right and the receiver turns left. Something just isn't right. Add in the worst defense over a 2-year stretch in Chicago Bears history, and I could see why Cutler isn't putting up ideal numbers (even though he threw for more TDs this year than in any year in his career).

Put another way, it was time to fire Emery and Trestman. Emery didn't build a good enough team to overcome poor coaching, and he didn't hire good enough coaches to overcome lesser talent.

Welcome back, Jason!

Peace :dabears

Thanks all. I'm not trying to hijack this thread. Let's enjoy the Emery/Trestman pink slip a lot more than my return...because if the Bears continue to suck, I could be off for another season. It's just unbearable. With the offseason there is hope.

Cutler's played almost 120 games now. He's won half, lost half. When he's won, he's had a 100 QB rating and 3 to 1 TD: INT ratio. That's pretty awesome. In losses, his QB rating is 70.9 with 65 TDs and 90 INTs. That just sucks.

That's too big of a sample size and difference in play to try again. There's just too many things that need fixed, no matter the coach. It's too late to fix too.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH......we all know you hate Cutler. I cant wait for the new regime to decide what they do.

Thanks all. I'm not trying to hijack this thread. Let's enjoy the Emery/Trestman pink slip a lot more than my return...because if the Bears continue to suck, I could be off for another season. It's just unbearable. With the offseason there is hope.

The offseason will be fun, stick around.

Trestman and Emery definitely needed to go. After years of Angelo drafts, I just want to see a lot better drafts.

Cutler needs gone too clean the slate. He was a hindrance to both Emery and Trestman, but they cost themselves their jobs. I could say Briggs or Conte need to also, but QB is the one position on the team that effects wins the most. It takes time to find the right one. The process needs to start now with the new regime.

Oddly, I agree with your comments. :)

I just see them giving this decision to the new coach and the new guy not wanting to start with a free agent and/or rookie. We don't have, IMO, a guy on the bench who can step up. So, almost by default, we've got Cutler for another season.

Then again, if they're offered a good deal on Cutler and can be free of his salary, and they think they can bring someone in with a better future, it could happen.

I guess it really depends on who the new HC is and that won't be determined until we know the new President of Football Ops and GM. I hope. If they hire out of order, like they've done similarly in the past, it's a sign that they've not learned from their mistakes.

BUT... They've got to move fast on all of this so it's good to see George taking steps this quickly.

I predict the new regime gives Cutler a year.

His performance in the last game suggests otherwise to me. He had to know that he was playing for his job, and he was disinterested, inaccurate, and ineffective. Best example is him consistently throwing the ball short of the first down marker on third down. For all the teammates who claim he's a leader and good guy, I saw the bad Jay Cutler in a game when I needed to see him at his best to convince me that he's worth keeping.

His performance in the last game suggests otherwise to me. He had to know that he was playing for his job, and he was disinterested, inaccurate, and ineffective. Best example is him consistently throwing the ball short of the first down marker on third down. For all the teammates who claim he's a leader and good guy, I saw the bad Jay Cutler in a game when I needed to see him at his best to convince me that he's worth keeping.

Don't you think they were maybe doing that as a way to ensure Forte got the record?

A year ago I blasted Emery for the huge Cutler contract...dumping so many resources into one guy who'd proved so little, just like the guy before him did. I made the point that if Emery had just bothered to recognize recent Bears history, he'd have found that didn't work out so well for the last guy.

One thing we know...Jerry Angelo hinged his career on Jay Cutler and, to my knowledge, he's out of the NFL right now. The gamble didn't pay off in time to save his job. Phil Emery has now doubled down. Good luck to him.

Make that two GMs who didn't agree with me and two GMs who've lost their job because of it.

You should talk with Ernie!

A year ago I blasted Emery for the huge Cutler contract...dumping so many resources into one guy who'd proved so little, just like the guy before him did. I made the point that if Emery had just bothered to recognize recent Bears history, he'd have found that didn't work out so well for the last guy.

One thing we know...Jerry Angelo hinged his career on Jay Cutler and, to my knowledge, he's out of the NFL right now. The gamble didn't pay off in time to save his job. Phil Emery has now doubled down. Good luck to him.

Make that two GMs who didn't agree with me and two GMs who've lost their job because of it.