Barkley for 2017(?)

Alaskan Grizzly

A very interesting possibility. Hard to judge off of one start/complete game but he certainly looked promising.

I know for sure of 3 passes to 3 different receivers, 2 on the final drive, that should have been caught in the end zone.

Add to those drops the additional drops that occured during the game (a really bad game by our WRs) and Barkley would have put up some huge numbers.

Once he got the rust knocked off, Barkley looked pretty damn good. I think he is definitely in contention next year...provided he doesn't totally blow up before the seasons over.

Now the receivers... Nother story.

Looked alright, but wait until defenses can adjust to him before making this call.

Once he got the rust knocked off, Barkley looked pretty damn good. I think he is definitely in contention next year...provided he doesn't totally blow up before the seasons over.

Now the receivers... Nother story.

I'm fine with the idea, but let's be real here. You'd be butchering Cutler for the exact same performance. If not for the stupid, desperation interceptions, the Bears win this game.

1st and goal at the 7, down by 6 with 47 seconds left and we don't gain a single yard.

That was either awful or intentional.

I don't know if we can use one game to evaluate Barkley, we were down 27-7 with 9 minutes remaining before Tennessee went into prevent. Before that Barkley didn't do much.

At this point, I will take the loss but no one is doing us any favors, CLE, SF, JAX, and CIN all lost and the Jets are now losing to NE. So the bottom 5 all lost.

I'm fine with the idea, but let's be real here. You'd be butchering Cutler for the exact same performance. If not for the stupid, desperation interceptions, the Bears win this game.

Agreed. His two interceptions were Cutleresque and he had several other questionable passes early. However, I still want to see him continue to play to see if he can improve. I do not want to see Cutler back on the field.

Peace :dabears

You're right, I would if Barkley had been playing for 10 years and paid to play like a Franchise QB. Those INTs were something out team could've easily overcome had the receivers managed to catch for most of the game.

Edit: all too often Cutlers TOs turn into direct scores for the other team.

I don't know if we can use one game to evaluate Barkley, we were down 27-7 with 9 minutes remaining before Tennessee went into prevent. Before that Barkley didn't do much.

At this point, I will take the loss but no one is doing us any favors, CLE, SF, JAX, and CIN all lost and the Jets are now losing to NE. So the bottom 5 all lost.

Sure Tennessee may have laid back when they had the lead. But you can't convince me that once we started scoring in the second half they remained in a prevent. The hits he started taking late in the game proved otherwise. They had way more to lose than we did.

You can easily attribute to why he played like he did the first half. He just started playing with the first team this last week. What more do you need? It's not like he's had the whole season as our #1 backup to ready himself.

Agreed on that, but Cutler is a many year veteran and Barkley is essentially a rookie with one previous start. Cutler is still making the same mistakes that Barkley is with how many years experience under his belt?

I think Barkley played much better in the 2nd half. In the first half he was seemed like he was placing the ball too much, kinda waiting on plays to develop and throwing a bit late. In the second half he settled down and threw with more confidence. Despite all the talk of a prevent defense he put quite a few passes into tight windows. Plus for a prevent defense Tenn sure was blitzing a lot. Their coverage may have been softer behind the blitz to prevent a big play.

I saw numerous times Barkley read the blitz before the snap and pulled the RB in for protection. I thought Langford did a great job on blitz pickups today. I also felt Barkley showed more arm strength than I remember seeing from him in college. Hardly an objective thing but many of his intermediate passes had more zip on them than I was expecting.

The negative plays, especially the one in the end zone, were to be expected of a guy who joined this team late with no training camp and very little practice time. His INT in the end zone was IMO a good read but a horrible throw. If he places that ball high in the back corner of the end zone it's a TD (or today.. a drop). I just don't know if Barkley can make that kind of a throw on the move. It's his responsibility to know what throws he can and cannot make.

I don't know about playing with the 1st string. He threw an awful lot of passes to guys named Wilson, Thompson, Meredith, Bellamy, Braunecker, Paulsen, and #85 (yes I didn't know the name of the player who caught our first TD pass).

Overall I think it was a positive performance from Barkley for his first start. Kudos to the coaching staff for getting him ready along with all the backup WRs and TEs. The opportunities for plays were there we can't blame Loggains for passes that hit guys in two hands and are still dropped. Ashkum is right, we must give defenses time to adjust to him before we can have a good idea what he's capable of. After today I'd be fine with him coming back to compete with Shaw, and Hoyer for a roster spot.

I am just taking a wait and see mode with the QB situation, but at least we have options: Hoyer, Shaw, Barkley, a rookie, and God-forbid Cutler again, but at least we will be going in with options.

I wasn't trying to rip Barkley, he was throwing to a pretty weak receiving corps without a bunch of starting O-Linemen. If not for a few drops we win. He is definitely worth a look, and I hope he gets an extended look for the remainder of the year.

I think we have to let Cutler go, that is the first thing really. The reason being, he has not worked out here after many years. I know many have reasons they use to explain this but the bottom line is that it does not appear there is any great upside. Let's move on.

I would love to see us get a young prospect but those seem hard to find. The guys we have, Hoyer, Shaw and Barkley seem OK. Giving Barkley a chance to show what he has over the next few games might just show that he is a guy that we could hope could do something in the future. For me, his performance last week was pretty good given the circumstances.

I think we have to let Cutler go, that is the first thing really. The reason being, he has not worked out here after many years. I know many have reasons they use to explain this but the bottom line is that it does not appear there is any great upside. Let's move on.

I would love to see us get a young prospect but those seem hard to find. The guys we have, Hoyer, Shaw and Barkley seem OK. Giving Barkley a chance to show what he has over the next few games might just show that he is a guy that we could hope could do something in the future. For me, his performance last week was pretty good given the circumstances.

Been a Bears' fan for more than 50 years. I've learned don't ever believe in the QB position being consistent on this team. I do think Cutler is not part of the team's future. Let him go, we've got some backups already. Grab a solid prospect in the draft at no 2 or 3 and move on. BPA with our first pick--like to see a solid edge rusher or LT. Don't know what will be available. Then again, a WR that can #1 catch the freakin ball and #2 stay healthy for a few games. This draft is Pace's put-up-or-shut-up draft. I ain't got that many more years to wait for Da Bears to be Da Champs,

Chile,

I'm not sure about everyone else...but it almost sounds like you're speaking right to me. I couldn't agree more on all counts.

For the first time in my life as a Bears fan...I'm starting to feel real apathy. I just think if we move into next season with Fox grooming whatever QB prospect we have, my apathy will grow. I don't feel injuries are justified for maintain the status woe. Fangio, I'd like to keep. All others, I'd prefer a new crew. Better trainers, better nutrition staff to vet supplements, better preparation, better in game coaching, etc...

Been a Bears' fan for more than 50 years. I've learned don't ever believe in the QB position being consistent on this team. I do think Cutler is not part of the team's future. Let him go, we've got some backups already. Grab a solid prospect in the draft at no 2 or 3 and move on. BPA with our first pick--like to see a solid edge rusher or LT. Don't know what will be available. Then again, a WR that can #1 catch the freakin ball and #2 stay healthy for a few games. This draft is Pace's put-up-or-shut-up draft. I ain't got that many more years to wait for Da Bears to be Da Champs,

Chile,

I'm not sure about everyone else...but it almost sounds like you're speaking right to me. I couldn't agree more on all counts.

For the first time in my life as a Bears fan...I'm starting to feel real apathy. I just think if we move into next season with Fox grooming whatever QB prospect we have, my apathy will grow. I don't feel injuries are justified for maintain the status woe. Fangio, I'd like to keep. All others, I'd prefer a new crew. Better trainers, better nutrition staff to vet supplements, better preparation, better in game coaching, etc...

Madlith,

I never thought, before this year, that I would not follow the beloved as they play. But, really, I'm losing interest. Where do I go from here? Politics is even worse! LOL :unsure:

No way should we have him as a starter (or at least not yet). But I am interested in seeing how he plays out the rest of this year. At the very least, he could prove worthy of being a capable backup. I was generously pleased with how he performed (turnovers were too many) given how inexperienced he is. Part of that might be because I expected far worse.

Here's a funny anecdote to help in an otherwise sad football season (and even though it's disappointing news). My college freshman daughter sent me a link to the Trevathan injury news before I heard about it. (this for a guy who has the nfl network on practically 24/7). Earlier this season she was sending me her wish list of Bears uniforms. One of her jobs allows her to wear a jersey on Sunday mornings. I couldn't be a prouder parent.

My younger daughter, on the other hand, announced yesterday that 'football is too boring'. Given the state of this years Bears I'll let it slide for now.

That's awesome!

What jersey is she asking for?

We can all easily forgive your younger daughter!

Here's a funny anecdote to help in an otherwise sad football season (and even though it's disappointing news). My college freshman daughter sent me a link to the Trevathan injury news before I heard about it. (this for a guy who has the nfl network on practically 24/7). Earlier this season she was sending me her wish list of Bears uniforms. One of her jobs allows her to wear a jersey on Sunday mornings. I couldn't be a prouder parent.

My younger daughter, on the other hand, announced yesterday that 'football is too boring'. Given the state of this years Bears I'll let it slide for now.

One more thought on Barkley. Sure he could easily stink it up the rest of the season but something I saw from him that I haven't in a while. Pocket poise. Barkley didn't appear to be a rollout type guy like Jay which could end up being an issue for the offense. But with what I saw yesterday I'm pretty stoked now to see what else Barkley has to offer.

One more thought on Barkley. Sure he could easily stink it up the rest of the season but something I saw from him that I haven't in a while. Pocket poise. Barkley didn't appear to be a rollout type guy like Jay which could end up being an issue for the offense. But with what I saw yesterday I'm pretty stoked now to see what else Barkley has to offer.

I definitely want to see him play the rest of the season. There is absolutely no reason to play Cutler anymore. We know what we have there and need to move on. We need to see as much of Barkley as possible to decide if he should be given the opportunity to be one of the QBs on the team next year.

Peace :dabears