Free agent options

Stinger226

It has been reported that Buffalo will not use the franchise tag on Stephen Gilmore CB. This is encouraging.

Since we now know more information, my new want list is:

Tony Jefferson/SS He has played well and will receive a big pay day.

Stephen Gilmore/CB I think he is more of a play maker than most of the other FAs.

Calais Campbell/5T I prefered Short but got tagged. he will command a big contract.

Jack Doyle/TE Hes has a history with our new WR coach that may bring him here. He is an excellent blocker which we need at TE.

Russel Okrung The best LT available and still 28 (Kelvin Beachum is not as good a player but would be a upgrade over Leno and cost less)

I figure we wont be getting Jeffery to stay home so we now add a WR to our list of needs.

draft:

still need a FS-CB - edge rusher- QB prospect

1) trade back to 12 and get extra picks from Cleveland 2nd and 3rd rounders

1-12 Kizer/QB

2a Buddy Baker/FS

2b Gareon Conley/CB

3a Zay Jones/WR

3b Derek Rivers/OLB

4a Carlos Henderson/WR

4b Julian Davenport/OT

5 Josh Tupou/DT

7 Zane Gonzales/K

As much as I like him I think we should bypass the very high-priced Campbell and pursue Johnathan Hankins. He's versatile enough to give us some pass rush at DE, or he can anchor the NT spot.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/p...e-as-free-agent

"Hankins had 43 tackles, 3.0 sacks and was third on the Giants with eight tackles for a loss and 10 quarterback hits."

If the article's estimate of contract value is correct (5 yr, $43mil, $16mil guaranteed) then it fits in well with our cap space. He's young at 25yr old and we can use the difference in contracts (Campbell - Hankins) to extend Hicks deal.

Hankins probably fits in the same mold as Hicks as a player with perhaps better first step quickness.

----

Draft Solomon Thomas and put him at OLB/LDE and we have a top 5 defensive front with versatility for any down/distance. On the outside figure McPhee rotates with Thomas and then we have Young, and RRH/Ocho. Interior backups we'd have Bullard, perhaps one of Washington/Unrein/Sutton/Ferguson whoever wins the job.

There goes 3 or 4 off of the wish list. Bad teams are not getting any breaks it seems. The NFL raised the cap, helping good teams keep good players. They award compensation draft picks to them if they lose a good player(s). They give bad teams high draft picks at least which some may use to trade for good teams back up players. Smh, seems like we are hosed for a while.

I really don't think we're hosed for a while. The Bears had catastrophic injuries last year, and still remained competitive in most games. Their defense was surprisingly good in many ways, and with just one or two improvements should be in the top-5 defense range. Kevin White is coming back from injury, again, and if he's remotely as good or as fast as he looked before, it will be like receiving an extra draft pick.

I honestly don't think this team is more than a few lucky breaks/picks from being in playoff contention.

I really don't think we're hosed for a while. The Bears had catastrophic injuries last year, and still remained competitive in most games. Their defense was surprisingly good in many ways, and with just one or two improvements should be in the top-5 defense range. Kevin White is coming back from injury, again, and if he's remotely as good or as fast as he looked before, it will be like receing an extra draft pick.

I honestly don't think this team is more than a few lucky breaks/picks from being in playoff contention.

I like that it looks like doom and gloom, but it will take everyone being healthy and to hit on at least 4 draft picks as starters this year. Add 4 starters through FAgency

I really don't think we're hosed for a while. The Bears had catastrophic injuries last year, and still remained competitive in most games. Their defense was surprisingly good in many ways, and with just one or two improvements should be in the top-5 defense range. Kevin White is coming back from injury, again, and if he's remotely as good or as fast as he looked before, it will be like receing an extra draft pick.

a few lucky breaks...and one QB.

a few lucky breaks...and one QB.

If last year's team was healthy and Hoyer was the QB the entire year, I have no doubt they would have been near .500. The following games could easily have been won:

WK1 - HOU - Led into the 4th

WK5 - IND - Led late in the 4th

WK6 - JAX - Led late in the 4th

WK11 - NYG - Led at half

WK12 - TEN - Almost came back from two Barkley INTs

WK14 - DET - Led late in the 4th

WK15 - GB - Almost came back from two Barkley INTs in the 3rd QTR (total of 3)

That's overly optimistic, putting them at 10-6, but even just holding on to 3 or 4 of those games is not unrealistic.

If last year's team was healthy and Hoyer was the QB the entire year, I have no doubt they would have been near .500. The following games could easily have been won:

WK1 - HOU - Led into the 4th

WK5 - IND - Led late in the 4th

WK6 - JAX - Led late in the 4th

WK11 - NYG - Led at half

WK12 - TEN - Almost came back from two Barkley INTs

WK14 - DET - Led late in the 4th

WK15 - GB - Almost came back from two Barkley INTs in the 3rd QTR (total of 3)

That's overly optimistic, putting them at 10-6, but even just holding on to 3 or 4 of those games is not unrealistic.

I think we will be better than people think but they have a long way to go to be 8-8. They to hit on a QB to at least play average. Hoyer could be desired by other teams, so he could be not here. Barkley wont get us to 8-8, and we dont know about Shaw.

I think we will be better than people think but they have a long way to go to be 8-8. They to hit on a QB to at least play average. Hoyer could be desired by other teams, so he could be not here. Barkley wont get us to 8-8, and we dont know about Shaw.

Don't be surprised if we go after John Simon/OLB/Houston or Datone Jones/DE from GB.

I see us adding to some potential pass rushers here.

The Jets know we are easy to trade with and with the D they have why not go for an established QB even though he has flaws.

I wouldn't totally rule that out after their experience with QBs last year. Regardless, they needed cap space so don't read too much into it.

I wouldn't totally rule that out after their experience with QBs last year. Regardless, they needed cap space so don't read too much into it.

Here are a few free agents, to not be surprised at signing

Hyde/CB-S he can play several spots on defense which fits in Fangio's defense to not change personal and will come cheaper that most DBs on the market.