Depth on Defense

AZ54

According to Fangio there may be some depth on our roster.  I've somewhat written off our depth at safety but there is a glimmer of hope there that Bush finally knows where he should be going.  RRH has buiked up over 290lbs and it sounds like he's much more comfortable inside.  We'll see when the pads come in next month.  Between RRH and Bullard I think we'll be ok at DE even if replacing Unrein isn't a high bar.   

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/talking-points-five-things-learned-from-bears-defensive-coaches/

17 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

According to Fangio there may be some depth on our roster.  I've somewhat written off our depth at safety but there is a glimmer of hope there that Bush finally knows where he should be going.  RRH has buiked up over 290lbs and it sounds like he's much more comfortable inside.  We'll see when the pads come in next month.  Between RRH and Bullard I think we'll be ok at DE even if replacing Unrein isn't a high bar.   

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/talking-points-five-things-learned-from-bears-defensive-coaches/

Very encouraging article. I have high expectations for our defense this year. I'm uncertain about our offense, although I would assume we will see a definite improvement over last year's boring, predictable, and unimaginative crap we attempted to orchestrate. 

On 6/1/2018 at 7:52 AM, Pixote said:

Very encouraging article. I have high expectations for our defense this year. I'm uncertain about our offense, although I would assume we will see a definite improvement over last year's boring, predictable, and unimaginative crap we attempted to orchestrate. 

I'm afraid to have high expectations for anything on this team but I admit the D should be good this season.  The fact Fangio went out of his way to single out some young veterans for their improvement makes me feel like we can consistently be good this year.  Barring a complete disaster at any one position we should be able to avoid the huge dips in performance like we saw last year when Trevathan was out of the lineup.  That Vikings game where Shurmur called screen play after screen play was painful to watch.   

On 6/2/2018 at 10:04 AM, AZ54 said:

I'm afraid to have high expectations for anything on this team but I admit the D should be good this season.  The fact Fangio went out of his way to single out some young veterans for their improvement makes me feel like we can consistently be good this year.  Barring a complete disaster at any one position we should be able to avoid the huge dips in performance like we saw last year when Trevathan was out of the lineup.  That Vikings game where Shurmur called screen play after screen play was painful to watch.   

Injuries are what has limited us in the past. OLB seems to be the position most at risk. I am surprised they didn't bring back Willie Young. To me that would be a good depth move if Lynch or Floyd get hurt, or if Fitts struggles.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think they would rather take the upside of a younger player like Lynch, Irving and Fritts. I think when training camp is over and maybe a high paid vet gets released, they may still add a player, similar to the Sitton acquisition. 

That seems right, after theyve gotten a good look.

You gotta figure we arent the Patriots looking to squeeze one or two more out in a closing window, we are a building team looking for young players who wont be the studs they are going to be for a couple more years. We have time to let players develop if we think they are ascending.