Anthony Miller - Any news

DABEARSDABOMB

Any news on the severity of Miller's shoulder injury?  I'm a little worried since he missed his 2014 college season due to a similar injury. Very curious why he was back on the field if he actually had separated it. That play where he re-injured it looked very innocent.  I hope the Bears and Miller didn't take a 1-2 week injury and make it a season ending injury. If they did, we better hope that Wims / White have some game in them because I haven't seen a ton of out this receiving corps yet.  

Nagy has said he believes Miller won't need surgery. Separately, Rappaport is reporting that Miller will not play in the Bucs game and is week to week. Probably a good thing to sit Miller, especially given we have a bye-week following. That essentially give Miller 3 weeks of rest (between when he hurt it on Sunday and when we'd play the Dolphins). This WR corps gets a lot worse without Miller out there, imo (depending on how much you buy into Miller's pre-season hype.  Separately, Shaheen is supposedly doing well and everything appears to be on track for him to return around week 8 (when he is eligible to be designed for return).   

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This WR corps gets a lot worse without Miller out there, imo (depending on how much you buy into Miller's pre-season hype.  

It’s simple, it’s time for White to contribute - or he gone.  AND time to get Wyms out there.  

In other news, Calvin Ridley (the WR that Pace allegedly was looking at instead of Miller) has gotten 11 Rec for 210 yds and scored 4 TDs.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

It’s simple, it’s time for White to contribute - or he gone.  AND time to get Wyms out there.  

In other news, Calvin Ridley (the WR that Pace allegedly was looking at instead of Miller) has gotten 11 Rec for 210 yds and scored 4 TDs.  

sure but then we wouldnt have Roquan Smith

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I presume you meant to say we wouldn't have Khalil Mack? 

no i mean if we took Ridley in the first round, then we wouldnt have drafted Smith.

So it wasnt an equal choice between Ridley and Miller, it was between Ridley and Smith.

so if you took Ridley in the first round, you'd be looking for someone in the second round to replace Kwitkowski with...

38 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

no i mean if we took Ridley in the first round, then we wouldnt have drafted Smith.

No, there were rumors that Pace had been trying to get back late in the 1st round to get Ridley...as cited from "The Chicago Sports Column":  "He (Pace) reportedly was trying to trade back into round one on Thursday to draft Alabama receiver Calvin Ridley. So his pursuit of Miller shouldn’t have been too surprising."  https://chicagosportscolumn.com/bears/ryan-pace-anthony-miller-bears/

Wouldn't have affected at all the team drafting Smith.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

No, there were rumors that Pace had been trying to get back late in the 1st round to get Ridley...as cited from "The Chicago Sports Column":  "He (Pace) reportedly was trying to trade back into round one on Thursday to draft Alabama receiver Calvin Ridley. So his pursuit of Miller shouldn’t have been too surprising."  https://chicagosportscolumn.com/bears/ryan-pace-anthony-miller-bears/

ah yes youre right. thank you for the clarification!

I think it would have cost more to get Ridley, so maybe it would have cost us James Daniels and something.

And Pace didn't give up on Ridley, he just couldn't get the deal done.

7 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

And Pace didn't give up on Ridley, he just couldn't get the deal done.

FWIW I hope that Miller proves to be something.  I was (am) a fan of Ridley’s and to be honest see a lot of simularities between he and Wims.  

Ultimatley though Ridley ended up in a pretty sweet spot.  Playing alongside and learning from co-Bama grad Julio Jones.  And having Matt Ryan throwing to him. 

9 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

FWIW I hope that Miller proves to be something.  I was (am) a fan of Ridley’s and to be honest see a lot of simularities between he and Wims.  

Ultimatley though Ridley ended up in a pretty sweet spot.  Playing alongside and learning from co-Bama grad Julio Jones.  And having Matt Ryan throwing to him. 

for sure!

10 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I'm curious what similarities you see between Ridley and Wims?  Surely the ability to high-point the football over the top of a defender isn't one of them.  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm curious what similarities you see between Ridley and Wims?  Surely the ability to high-point the football over the top of a defender isn't one of them.  

Depends on what you’re talking about; specifics or generalities?  I’ll go with the latter and qualify it by he (Wims) satisfies the eye test.  Below are their (Wims and Ridley) draft prospect comparisons.  And even with there being some pretty close similarities there are some differences too, althoughbeit small.  I personally prefer the bigger wideouts.  Wims is bigger at 6’3” / 215#.  And although Ridley has a slight edge in the 40 and cone drill Wims out performed Ridley on both the vertical and broad jumps.  To answer your question, yes I believe Wims could beat Ridley...if given the chance. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/javon-wims?id=32462018-0002-5600-889e-860db0dfb6ed

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/calvin-ridley?id=32462018-0002-5600-1177-bcdc902b08a4

and lastly, here’s an article that directly compares the two late in the season last year.  I give an edge to Ridley only because he had more time in his system where Wims was a JuCo transfer the year prior.  

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/javon-wims-vs-calvin-ridley-star-will-steal-show-monday-night/

On 9/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Woulda, coulda,shoulda, we can draw any scenario that we like but it played out the way it did. Ridley would have been a good pick but for us to have gotten him it would have been with our first pick. Rumors are only rumors until they become reality. Miller will be very good once it plays out.

22 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Depends on what you’re talking about; specifics or generalities?  I’ll go with the latter and qualify it by he (Wims) satisfies the eye test.  Below are their (Wims and Ridley) draft prospect comparisons.  And even with there being some pretty close similarities there are some differences too, althoughbeit small.  I personally prefer the bigger wideouts.  Wims is bigger at 6’3” / 215#.  And although Ridley has a slight edge in the 40 and cone drill Wims out performed Ridley on both the vertical and broad jumps.  To answer your question, yes I believe Wims could beat Ridley...if given the chance. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/javon-wims?id=32462018-0002-5600-889e-860db0dfb6ed

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/calvin-ridley?id=32462018-0002-5600-1177-bcdc902b08a4

and lastly, here’s an article that directly compares the two late in the season last year.  I give an edge to Ridley only because he had more time in his system where Wims was a JuCo transfer the year prior.  

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/javon-wims-vs-calvin-ridley-star-will-steal-show-monday-night/

The comparison article is mostly about stats and not really about individual talents.   IMO Ridley is the lighter quicker WR who will be a very good compliment to a #1 WR.  I think he landed in a perfect spot in Atlanta.  His route running ability is very good but he lacks the strength to win early against physical CBs.   Wims I think is the opposite as he doesn't have as much quickness in/out of his cuts and is just a physical receiver fighting off/over/through defender to win the ball.  Some of what I saw in the preseason makes me think he's quicker in his cuts than I first though.  When it comes to contested catches among these two I'd take Wims all day any day over Ridley.  

If Wims was on a college team that relied more on the passing attack, he would have been more highly sought. We got a potential steal, but he has more learning to do. Speaking of Ridley, his brother plays for Georgia and was considered their best prospect but I saw more out of Wims. Wims was clutch and strong. I'm ok letting him learn more if that is how Nagy and Furer see it, but cannot wait until he gets his turn.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:34 AM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If Wims was on a college team that relied more on the passing attack, he would have been more highly sought. We got a potential steal, but he has more learning to do. Speaking of Ridley, his brother plays for Georgia and was considered their best prospect but I saw more out of Wims. Wims was clutch and strong. I'm ok letting him learn more if that is how Nagy and Furer see it, but cannot wait until he gets his turn.

Wims better learn to always run his routes at full speed. That first one against Tampa he looked a bit lazy and shocked the ball came his way.