New Receivers

DABEARSDABOMB

Three weeks into the season...are people really that impressed with all of our new receivers. I know everyone just assumed we had all these great weapons in Burton, Miller, Robinson, and Gabriel, but do people really think we have special weapons?  I think Gabriel is probably a guy we overpaid for, but Bears were desperate for more weapons...Burton seems legit...albeit haven't seen enough to make him great....and Robinson looks good and with more consistency between him and Mitch, looks like they could be better (need to see Mitch throw him some deep balls in a place where Robinson can make a play).  

Miller is the guy I probably most buy into as he has flashed some really nice moves from time to time. Same with Robinson.  Just pointing out that it will be interesting to see how good our wideouts actually are over time. We also need Mitch to start throwing a more accurate ball as he left some on the field the last two weeks (with Robinson and Gabriel at least). I do wonder if Gabriel is one of those guys that is easy to "miss" though given his short stature.  

By the way...I call all of the above my hot takes, more so based upon current production vs. anything else.  Like I've said many times on this board, I will evaluate the season in quarters and the 1st quarter is the one where I give the offense a lot of leeway given all of the new pieces / system.  After that point, I expect to see much better and more consistent progress and hopefully we will. Either way, we will be at worse, 2-2 heading into our bye week and I'll consider that (on a worse case scenario) a very good thing. Hopefully we play great against the Bucs next week and get the win and will be 3-1 heading into our bye week.  

To me, I see our receivers production tied to Trubisky's play and Nagy's play calling. Robinson is on pace for 91 Receptions and 1035 yards, which seems like the only receiver that is close to the norm. Gabriel is on pace for 80 receptions, Burton on pace for 48 receptions, and Miller for 43. So the receptions seem to be about spot on, and even Howard has 10 and is on pace for 53. However, the yards per throw/catch are extremely low. 

Also, I cannot believe White has yet to be targeted. Bellamy, Sims, Michael Burton, and Cunningham all have more receptions individually than White has targets. This is extremely shocking that they wouldn't at least attempt one pass towards White out of the first 102 throws. If they are not going to use White, trade him, and bring Wims up.

I think Robinson is still a legit #1, we probably don't have a solid #2 yet, but Miller is well on his way (if he can stay healthy). Gabriel is a lot like Cohen and seems to be a gadget player that Nagy likes to use all over the field. He is the 3rd most used Offensive player (behind Howard and Robinson). 

I still like Burton, but he will be complimented better when Shaheen comes back. Trubisky and Shaheen probably have the most reps together going back to last year (considering practice, etc). 

So not necessarily as good as maybe we expected but light years ahead of what we had last year.

White may not be getting open. But before you would cut him and bring up Wims, you might consider his physical run blocking.
You wouldnt pay for a receiver just for run blocking. But White is sort of a free piece this year, and if that's what he does, then they can use him for that. If that's all he does he won't be around next year for sure.

16 hours ago, adam said:

To me, I see our receivers production tied to Trubisky's play and Nagy's play calling. Robinson is on pace for 91 Receptions and 1035 yards, which seems like the only receiver that is close to the norm. Gabriel is on pace for 80 receptions, Burton on pace for 48 receptions, and Miller for 43. So the receptions seem to be about spot on, and even Howard has 10 and is on pace for 53. However, the yards per throw/catch are extremely low. 

Also, I cannot believe White has yet to be targeted. Bellamy, Sims, Michael Burton, and Cunningham all have more receptions individually than White has targets. This is extremely shocking that they wouldn't at least attempt one pass towards White out of the first 102 throws. If they are not going to use White, trade him, and bring Wims up.

I think Robinson is still a legit #1, we probably don't have a solid #2 yet, but Miller is well on his way (if he can stay healthy). Gabriel is a lot like Cohen and seems to be a gadget player that Nagy likes to use all over the field. He is the 3rd most used Offensive player (behind Howard and Robinson). 

I still like Burton, but he will be complimented better when Shaheen comes back. Trubisky and Shaheen probably have the most reps together going back to last year (considering practice, etc). 

So not necessarily as good as maybe we expected but light years ahead of what we had last year.

Absolutely , its like a car that needs a tuneup, running rough but once it gets fixed it will look amazing. Gabriel is probably the 3rd or 4th WR in this scheme but the key is his speed. He was brought in to create mismatching not for high volume. When this is running well, Robey- 10 targets a game, Burton 8, Gabriel 5, Miller 5, Cohen, 5 , Howard 5. If will look much different in week 8 and forward. Production is all tied to MT, once he rolls.

22 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

White may not be getting open. But before you would cut him and bring up Wims, you might consider his physical run blocking.
You wouldnt pay for a receiver just for run blocking. But White is sort of a free piece this year, and if that's what he does, then they can use him for that. If that's all he does he won't be around next year for sure.

I didn't say cut him, I was saying to trade him to a WR needy team. We are 3 games in and he has 0 targets.  Hell Cam Meredith has a reception and TD and he was coming off of an injury and is on a new team. There are no more excuses for White. With Shaheen out, Wims would provide another big target for Trubisky. The size of the WR's may be part of Trubisky's issues, Cohen, Gabriel, and Miller are all sub-6'0".

9 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

if you can get something for him, then im cool with a trade. but you cant. so I think you keep him.

I like Wims too.

We just lost one WR possibly for the year.  I know they say Miller is day to day but it's hard to believe he'll make it through the season like that.  I think we keep White and then let him go in FA and depending on how FA goes we might get back a draft pick that way.  I don't think we'll get much more than that late Rd pick in a trade mid-season.   

The only difference would be if we were intent on cutting him mid-season, in which case we get nothing in exchange.  That's the decision the Browns had with Gordon.