Our 2nd string qb

NAMEDSONPAYTON2

I don't think the expectation is for us to win it all this year.  I'd be awesome and I'll root for us to go all the way.  But this was year to bring the Bears back into the conversation of playoff contenders.  We are in good shape to win our division and still have a chance to possibly earn a first round bye.  From 5-11 and several losing seasons to this, I'll take it.  The urgency to win now isn't as strong as it has been in past years where we'd come out of nowhere have a break out season,  then disappear the next.  The Bears are being built to compete year after year.  We  probably won't win it all this year, but we aren't going away like we have in the past.  It gives me hope that we're building towards something and the Bears are an ascending team.  Yesterday should serve as a learning experience.  Plenty of blame to go around in that game, but if we learn from it, it will have been worth it we haven't lost ground on our division lead.  

I'll take 1-1 for a back-up on the road.  With the one win against a division opponent.  Disappointing yesterday since so much of Chase's errors seemed stupid...like taking sacks and not throwing the ball away and forgetting how to handle the football without fumbling it.  

I'll take it.  

We still have only lost 4 games by a total of 14 points.  That's just a bit over a FG per game.  All on the road.  Not bad.  

Also, something worth noting, we have held a lead in the 2nd half in every game this season.  If not for some freak plays (Cobb 75yd TD, Wilson 75yd TD, NE 2x Special Teams TDs, and Beckham 49yd TD pass), we would be undefeated.

I have to also say we have been on the short end of the stick on a lot of calls or blown calls. The Cohen one was another game changing one. Refs have killed us this year.

15 hours ago, adam said:

Also, something worth noting, we have held a lead in the 2nd half in every game this season.  If not for some freak plays (Cobb 75yd TD, Wilson 75yd TD, NE 2x Special Teams TDs, and Beckham 49yd TD pass), we would be undefeated.

I have to also say we have been on the short end of the stick on a lot of calls or blown calls. The Cohen one was another game changing one. Refs have killed us this year.

agree we've been beaten by some fluky plays, but we've also won games on the backs of big plays as well.  Key late turnovers or defensive TDs, or Big plays early in games to put opponents in holes.  Football is often a game of inches but it can often be the splash plays or gaffes that can seal a game.  The plays you mentioned were backbreakers in our 4 losses.  Had we came up with stops on those plays we could be undefeated.  But as you noted we have had the lead in the second half of every game.  Part of changing from a losing to a wining culture is learning how to finish games.  Cobb has been a Bear killer so often it's sickening, if we either stop that play or Fuller catches that pick we win.  The Dolphins game was maddening when you put up 20+ second half points you shouldn't lose the game. This was also the game we got screwed out of a TD by Cohen on a bad OPI call on Burton coupled with the D having a terrible second half.  NE needed 2 special teams TDs to beat us.  Beckham's trick play pass to a guy who didn't have a defender within 10-20 yards of him, yet had we played better as a team all around we should have won that game.  We've won some games that were a fight to the end and we've lost some by not finishing.  This is all a part of a young team learning and progressing.  

We sure have been on the short end of the stick on calls missed, blown, etc.  But then again what's new.  And you have to learn to play through those things.  It sucks getting screwed like on that Cohen TD where they blew the whistle, or any number of possibly game changing bad calls/no calls.  But we're not alone, it feels like officiating has been bad in recent years.  It's hard to find a well officiated game anymore.  And a lot of these officiating gaffes end up effecting a game's outcome by either creating momentum, or killing it.  We do seem to have more than our fair share of bad officiating though.  But we just have to play through those things that are beyond our control.  

As for Chase, he's a backup and last week is proof why he's a backup, I saw a video where Waddle addressed it and what makes him a backup is that isn't the kind of player who will be consistently good week to week that's why he's never cracked a starting gig.  He can fill in for a game or two here and there but he's not someone to start for a length of time.  He went 1-1 on the road.  I do think it's imperative that we do look for a better #2 behind Mitch. Wether it's a veteran with starting experience, or a promising rookie or young QB that could groom under Mitch.  

On 12/3/2018 at 9:22 AM, Stinger226 said:

This is an unexpected good season but we have a better future going forward with this coach, QB and a youthful defense.

One thing is for sure, I find it hard to expect to have this much good luck with injuries after leading the league the last two years.

It hasn't been that easy on the injury front but it's certainly better than years past.  Especially in light of the fact we tended to get one position group decimated by injuries.  This year it has been spread around.  

We lost our starting RG for at least half the season.  We lost our starting TE Shaheen for over half the season, then his backup is on IR.  Say what you want about Sims but coaches are putting their best players on the field and he was out there.  What's different this year is the new rule allowing two players back from IR.   I think that's great for the league but all teams are benefitting from this.   

On top of that we lost Khalil Mack for two games and he played poorly through an injured ankle in two other games.  We lost AR for two games and now our starting QB has missed two games.  Then beyond that we've had issues with missed games from key contributors like Bilal Nichols, Acho (IR), McManis, Kush (neck), Anthony MIller dislocated his shoulder and missed games, Aaron Lynch missed games, Gabriel injured his knee against the Bills and I don't think he played much against Detroit the next week, Amukamara missed a couple games where Tolliver covered for him, Callahan had some injury issues too in one or two games. 

What is different this year is that the team has mostly been finding ways to win.  One game might be the pass rush winning the day, another the DBs and the INTs. Others it has been the offense or Trubisky lighting up the score board.  In recent years we didn't have many ways to win games, and for a very, very long time we weren't able to pair together a good defense with a good offense.