Bears at Rams Official Game Thread

AZ54

Been waiting for this thread to popup but now it's time to speak my peace before the Rams game.

First, no matter what happens I don't want Matt Nagy to call that play with the little inside touch pass to Trey Burton.   This would be a good week to leave that off the play sheet.  

Next, let's run left and directly at Aaron Donald with Jordan Howard.  Make him do what he does not want to do in fighting off a block to tackle a bit RB, and make him do it all game long.   Donald is still quick enough if you whiff on the block he'll take down your RB for a loss before you can say uh-oh.  I just feel we need to have him focused on the running game as much as possible.  Their rushing D is among the worst in the NFL giving up 5.1 ypc.  They may not appear to give up many yards per game but often they get teams into throwing the ball to keep up with their scoring which may mask how bad their run D really is.  

Play action and read option.   Start early with the read option plays to slow down their pass rush.   Again we need to make their run D work to cover all options and that means letting Trubisky run. 

Throw away from Aqib Talib.  He's not great but he's good enough and Trubisky should find some good options with Gabriel, Burton, Miller, Cohen, and Shaheen.  

The D needs to do what they didn't get done last week:  shutdown the RB.       

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this is simply a sit back and enjoy game.  

It's a huge test for our team.  We are pretty much fully loaded w/ no injuries other than Long being out.

It'll be simple.  On O, keep away from Donald and make some big plays.  On D, limit Gurley and don't allow the big play.  I think the game will be close.  I am hopeful we will pull it off.

Let's go Bears!  

Agree with your assessment, their run D can be exploited. We need a balanced game plan.  Running the ball read options, screen passes, make their front seven work and do what we can schematically to slow that rush, and when we throw know where our hots are and get the ball out quick.  I'd like to see us run uptempo a little.  This is a game we will need to try to dictate the tempo with our offense.  On defense we need to play an all around better game, the D needs to get back to form and make them fight for every inch.  Easier said than done Gurley is going to be hard to contain, both running and as an outlet.  He's the best RB we've faced this season.

Having this game at Soldier Field on a day that is likely to be very cold is an advantage.  I feel like this is a game we can win but we will have to play at a high level.  We need to win the turnover battle and time of possession.  While we will at a times need Trubiskey to run, I'd like to see us do what we can to limit the punishment he takes.  This offense clearly functions at a higher level when healthy vs Daniels.  My hopes are that we find a way to win this game and keep Mitch healthy.  Oh and a Vikings loss to the Seachickens on MNF would be nice too.

This is the biggest game for the Bears in more than ten years. Im not saying that the win or loss is, but the TEST. We have an opportunity to take a major step up this weekend. If we lose, we're fine, still ascending, still learning. But if we win, we've planted a major flag in the ground, and clawed our way up to the next level. We havent had a team that could make that claim in  LONG time. Even Lovie's superbowl team wasnt that good.

It sure will be amazing to watch.

This is a statement game on different levels.  People I talk to are still not on board with our team.  I've heard everything from, "you win on defensive TD's" to "they haven't played anyone yet".  My thoughts are that a "wins are wins", "good teams find a way" and "any given Sunday".  Everyone believes we are a team in the rise.  Sunday night will display how close we are, if we are not already there.

• adam featured this topic

Sorry not to get the thread posted, currently on business travel.

I am glad that Trubisky is back to 100%. 

The key to the defense will be to limit Gurley and they got a good taste of an all-around back with Barkley last week. For our offense, the key will be to control Donald. I feel like the best way to neutralize him is with roll-outs and bootlegs. Don't allow his inside pressure to affect the pocket by moving the pocket. I also like the idea of running Howard right where Donald was. Allow him to get inside a gap, seal him off and let Howard go into the next gap. 

Without Kupp, who was a popular 3rd down target for Goff, they will have to look to Cooks and Woods. We have 5 players with at least 30 receptions, the Rams have 3x playing (Gurley, Cooks, and Woods). 

We are 3-pt underdogs at home, which is essentially a TD gap on a neutral field. I feel like this is going to be a back and forth game with the Bears getting the ball last and winning. 

The weather may play a role in the game's outcome, sub-30 temps is expected (Bear weather!). This, with our fans is our home field advantage. 

Bears 27-24

Minnesota plays in Seattle, and Green Bay hosts Atlanta. A win for us and losses for those two teams would make our magic number 1 with 3 to play.

11 hours ago, adam said:

Sorry not to get the thread posted, currently on business travel.

I am glad that Trubisky is back to 100%. 

The key to the defense will be to limit Gurley and they got a good taste of an all-around back with Barkley last week. For our offense, the key will be to control Donald. I feel like the best way to neutralize him is with roll-outs and bootlegs. Don't allow his inside pressure to affect the pocket by moving the pocket. I also like the idea of running Howard right where Donald was. Allow him to get inside a gap, seal him off and let Howard go into the next gap. 

Without Kupp, who was a popular 3rd down target for Goff, they will have to look to Cooks and Woods. We have 5 players with at least 30 receptions, the Rams have 3x playing (Gurley, Cooks, and Woods). 

We are 3-pt underdogs at home, which is essentially a TD gap on a neutral field. I feel like this is going to be a back and forth game with the Bears getting the ball last and winning. 

The weather may play a role in the game's outcome, sub-30 temps is expected (Bear weather!). This, with our fans is our home field advantage. 

Bears 27-24

Minnesota plays in Seattle, and Green Bay hosts Atlanta. A win for us and losses for those two teams would make our magic number 1 with 3 to play.

We got your back!  

22 hours ago, DGBears said:

The game is at home ;)

This will be a huge factor.  Agree with Mad this will be a fun game to watch.   Also agree with, and very much like, the idea of a balanced attack.  Not something we’ve seen much of this year. This would be the type of game where many have said Howard would be a difference maker.  

In his long game I want to see Trubiksy limit his mistakes; the Bears will have a hard time recovering from that if he does. And I hope, if he has to scramble, he’s worked on his slides.  

Why the Bears have a chance?

Was listening to the SCORE this morning and Greg Gabriel was on and made some good points.

He thinks the D will dominate tonite. Coming off of the 3 games in 12 days, he thinks the team was fatigued in the second half of the Lions game and then in the second half of the Giants game. The only way for the Bears were to stay fresh was is Daniel dominated the time of possession on offense. Chase played like shit and the Bears D dominated in the first half. In the second half you seen sloppy tackling and it ended the way it did. He says they all should be recovered 17 days later. Also LA played on the road in Den and had the lowest point total of the year. This is the second game in two weeks on the road for LA and it will be colder. MT has the ability to keep drives going with his running so it will keep the LA D on the field longer. Also Goff is a fair weather guy, lived in Cali, went to school in Cali and plays in Cali, he is not use to cold weather. 

The Rams D has big names but have a poor set of LBers. He thinks Nagy will construct the game to attack the middle of the field and keep LA running sideline to sideline the weakness of the Rams D. 

Cohen will be hawked but Miller and Burton should have big games and then that will open up the up the middle running game that will get Howard involved in the game.

I would say 23-20 Bears but do not be surprised it you see a 27- 16 score. 

Speaking of the long game; well need do keep an eye on that.  If Trubisky tries and is way off of target (more than he usually is) it could be an indicator his shoulder is bugging him.  Or if they just decide to do more traditional WCO then they’re trying to let him limit his long throws.  

Sounds like the injury was more serious than thought.  Partial dislocation.  Ouch... here’s to youth! 

The Bears are for real. We can confidently say that we could beat any team in this league. I'm not saying we can't be beat, I'm just saying there is no reason to think we can't beat any opponent in any game. That makes us legit Super Bowl contenders. Right now.

And all that while Trubisky is still learning, still rough, and tonight, threw 3 interceptions. Imagine who we are going to be when he gets better. Scary.

I saw a lot of open receivers tonight too. And Daniels had an amazing game. Smith is really coming on too.

And the team is young, and everyone is under contract for a while.

Meanwhile Rogers is ageing and his organization is about to take a couple years off.

How sweet it is.

Than you Pace, Nagy, Fangio, Hiestand, and anyone else I don't know enough to know is killin' it.

GO BEARS