Callahan

Stinger226

Your probably right but I don't think he gets that from us. He was undrafted and had injuries every year.  We have big money ties up in Fuller and Prince. I do not see us dumping money into Callahan when next year we have to end up giving Jackson a big contract.  You have to balance big contracts with a few cheap ones.

I've liked Callahan for years but I get the sense we (Pace) are accepting that we'll likely have to move on to other options.   We just had one of the best defenses in the NFL and that always draws attention to your FAs.  It's hard to think someone out there won't throw some good money at Callahan. 

Please don't throw out the option of Ty(also)rann Mathieu.  Injuries have taken their toll and he's not what he used to be. 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Your probably right but I don't think he gets that from us. He was undrafted and had injuries every year.  We have big money ties up in Fuller and Prince. I do not see us dumping money into Callahan when next year we have to end up giving Jackson a big contract.  You have to balance big contracts with a few cheap ones.

He won't get that from us.  He'll go somewhere else.  

Peace

Browns won't tender BBC? He led the team in snaps over the slot last season. 

Really good nickel class in free agency with Tyrann Mathieu, Bryce Callahan, Brian Poole, Justin Coleman, Darqueze Dennard and Steven Nelson, whom John Dorsey drafted, about to hit the open market.

There are lots of good slot corners out there this year. I see  Callahan coming back on a lower pay contract.  To many players will drive the price down. 

On 3/6/2019 at 3:44 AM, Stinger226 said:

Browns won't tender BBC? He led the team in snaps over the slot last season. 

Really good nickel class in free agency with Tyrann Mathieu, Bryce Callahan, Brian Poole, Justin Coleman, Darqueze Dennard and Steven Nelson, whom John Dorsey drafted, about to hit the open market.

There are lots of good slot corners out there this year. I see  Callahan coming back on a lower pay contract.  To many players will drive the price down. 

Tyrann Mathieu is not the same player he was 4 years ago after all his injuries.  If we sign him it will be a repeat of all the other vet safeties we brought in on multi-year deals and then let go after one season.   There is a reason the Texans' fans don't want him back.  

He may not be the same player he use to be but that does not mean he was bad. 

2018-- 89 Ts-- 2 int--6 pd- 3 sacks-5 tfl- 1 fr- 4 qb hits. 

Statistically 2015 is the only year he had better stats. 

Last year Amos had 79 Ts, 2 int,  9 pds, 1 sack, 1 tfl, 1 fr, 0 qb hits. I might add only 3 ints his career. Tyrann has 13 in his career,  bigger play guy.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:44 AM, Stinger226 said:

He may not be the same player he use to be but that does not mean he was bad. 

2018-- 89 Ts-- 2 int--6 pd- 3 sacks-5 tfl- 1 fr- 4 qb hits. 

Statistically 2015 is the only year he had better stats. 

Last year Amos had 79 Ts, 2 int,  9 pds, 1 sack, 1 tfl, 1 fr, 0 qb hits. I might add only 3 ints his career. Tyrann has 13 in his career,  bigger play guy.

Tyrann was a bigger play guy but he's just not as quick as he used to be.  He was never a fast guy either.  He still has the play smarts but I'd rather stick with the reliable Amos before taking a gamble on the often injured Mathieu.  

I would guess everything comes down to money.  Statistically their very close.  Lets say Amos gets 7 a year on a 4 year deal and Tyrann takes a 1 year prove it deal for 5 mil. I suspect we draft his replacement and sign a vet on a low contract,  Kenny Vaccaro comes to mind.

Pace seems reluctant to give players with injury history new deals. White, Meredith, and now Callahan. I don't mind this thinking, but it should never be all or none.

So the debate will be Callahan for $7 vs Skrine for $5.5.

11 minutes ago, adam said:

Pace seems reluctant to give players with injury history new deals. White, Meredith, and now Callahan. I don't mind this thinking, but it should never be all or none.

The Denver media and fans will be praising this signing due to the Fangio connection; right up until Callahan hits IR.  In the meantime, our guy will be having the best year of his career, due to our front 7.

3 hours ago, adam said:

= Skrine + whoever else we get with the extra $1.5mil in cap savings.    I think we'll be fine and it's nice to see Callahan get paid.  

The media speculates that the Bears had an offer on the table for more than Skrine's but Callahan's camp believed he was worth more. The Bears did not want to wait and miss out, so they moved quickly to sign Skrine. Then Callahan did not get any offers near his asking price and had to settle at $7M AAV with the Broncos.  There is a good chance that the Bears offered him that number originally and he turned it down.

4 hours ago, adam said:

The media speculates that the Bears had an offer on the table for more than Skrine's but Callahan's camp believed he was worth more. The Bears did not want to wait and miss out, so they moved quickly to sign Skrine. Then Callahan did not get any offers near his asking price and had to settle at $7M AAV with the Broncos.  There is a good chance that the Bears offered him that number originally and he turned it down.

I could see that.  No risk it no biscuit and now that Callahan has Flacco as his QB he'll get plenty of opportunities to earn his $7mil.