Ha Ha Clinton-Dix signs with Bears

AZ54

He's here tonight and tomorrow which is interesting and I'm sure Jason is happy to see this.  I expect somewhere in this trip he'll spend some time with Eddie Jackson.  As a player I view him as better in coverage than Amos but not as good at tackling.  HHCD had his fair share of coverage lapses too but he's a better playmaker when the ball is in the air.  In that sense he always seemed to be more of a FS than SS and Jackson is not leaving that role.  If Pagano wants multiple inside-the-numbers coverage options behind his blitz schemes he'll have them with HHCD, Jackson, Skrine, Roquan, Floyd, and Trevathan.  

What he's looking for in his next contract is hard to guess now that he's been on back burner for a bit.  Pace wouldn't be talking with him in person this much if they weren't somewhat close on contract parameters.  Would Pace do a deal for HHCD similar to what Amos got?   

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-reportedly-courting-free-agent-safety-ha-ha-clinton-dix-amos-redskins-free-agency-rumors

If you leave PPF out of it, most consider HaHa as a better player than Callahan.  I think the key to signing him is the money. There were in on Weddle, so by his contract,  I would say they want to pay 5 mil for the SS spot. Will Haha play for that , maybe. I think playing with Jackson and the  best defense in the league , maybe he takes a 1 year deal to boast his value and get a payday next year like Amos. I would say a 1 year deal for 6 mil. last year, he had 92 ts, 3 int , 6 pds,  2 FF. He has 14 ints in 6 years. Definitely a better player. Then we draft a SS to take his place after this year.

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I see the article you cite mentions ‘what about Eric Berry’?  I personally would hope Clinton-Dix is the one they go with but if for some reason it doesn’t work out, why not give Berry a go?  Yes he’s fragile but if you’re proposing a one year deal anyhow, why not?  And probably not for a $6 million deal.  We know he’s got big play potential and there is some familiarity with Nagy.  You could draft a later round Safety this year and work them in slowly rather than wait a year.  Or see if one of the other former Pace draftees in Houston-Carson or Bush can contribute.  

3 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

I'd rather have Dix for the consistency.  But, Berry for a one year I'm not opposed as long as it doesn't prevent us from signing someone else like Houston...  If Berry is injured, we know we have a Bush up our sleeves...

Sorry but my immature side couldn’t resist:  “I’d rather have Dix for the consistency”. 

But serioisly, just saw that the Bears signed him to a one year deal!  Yippeeee!!!

Details:  1 year $3.5 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022687/article/bears-signing-ha-ha-clintondix-to-oneyear-deal

45 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sorry but my immature side couldn’t resist:  “I’d rather have Dix for the consistency”. 

But serioisly, just saw that the Bears signed him to a one year deal!  Yippeeee!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022687/article/bears-signing-ha-ha-clintondix-to-oneyear-deal

Queue up Beavis & Butt-head!  ;)  

I throwing around terms like Dix n' Bush...  :P

That's a great savings for Chicago...

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

$9.25 AAV for Amos vs $3.5 AAV for Clinton-Dix, even for just a single year seems like a steal to me. 

You also have to believe that even if Amos is individually better than Clinton-Dix (debatable), that Clinton-Dix grouped with Jackson will be better than Amos/Jackson.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this movie.

1. Amos is slightly overrated
  2. HHCD is underrated. 
  3. HHCD is more of a free-range safety than Amos.
  4. With the Bears front 7, the need for a thumper isn't as big.
  5. HHCD + Jackson = Amazing Alabama connection

Such a good move. 

8 hours ago, jason said:

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this movie.

1. Amos is slightly overrated
  2. HHCD is underrated. 
  3. HHCD is more of a free-range safety than Amos.
  4. With the Bears front 7, the need for a thumper isn't as big.
  5. HHCD + Jackson = Amazing Alabama connection

Such a good move. 

Yeah, and the more I watch tape on him, compared to Amos, he seems like the better overall playmaker. 

To me, he was on a bad defense (GB) and then on a new team, and still played decently. 

Imagine him on the Bears next to Jackson and playing with/behind Prince and Kyle. It's hard not to think he will be better on the Bears. Hard to say that about Amos on that defense. 

9 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The fact that they signed him for 3.5 means he has an axe to grind.  Love it!

He saw what Amos got after playing on the Bears D, just think what he will get next offseason if he plays well.

• adam changed the title to Ha Ha Clinton-Dix signs with Bears

The more tape I watch, the more I like HHDC. He seems to be more of a hybrid Safety, almost half Jackson, half Amos (Jackmos?). The way the league is going, there is less of a need for a one trick pony thumper in the secondary like Amos. 

Amos was slightly above league average while HHCD was a 2nd team All-Pro and Pro-Bowler. 

If you compare the two situations, you can clearly see who is going to be motivated, one guy leaves a playoff team as a free agent, then signs a massive contract. The other guy is traded from his original team mid-season, then takes less money to join an ascending team. 

If we play the Pack Week 1, I guarantee HHDC is going to come to play with some added motivation. It will be interesting to see how Amos looks in the GB defense. 

Some interesting notes:

1. Even though HHCD was drafted a year before Amos, he is only 4 months older than him.
2. HHCD has never missed a game (5x seasons of 16 games played)
3. Amos career numbers for impactful plays: (3 INT, 3 FF, 2 sacks, 18 PD) compared to HHCD: (14 INT, 4 FF, 5.5 sacks, 28 PD)
4. Tackle totals were mind-boggling, Amos averages 4.5 tackles a game (269 total for career) while HHCD averages 5.7 a game (456 career). That might not seem like a lot but that is telling. HHCD is around the ball more than Amos ever was. Going a little further, Amos had his best year this year in terms of tackles with 73, his first season above 70. HHCD's low is 79 (twice) and he broke 100 twice. That is what those averages look like played out for a season. 

To me, this is a clear upgrade at Safety. HHCD, though not necessarily known as the big hitter like Amos, is better in coverage, has better playmaking skills, and makes tackles.