David Montgomery RB is the pick

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched a few more highlights of Montgomery’s while sitting on my back deck (it’s sunny as I’ll get out up here and nearing 60 - that’s warm for us).  Anyhow, still haven’t seen a lot of catches from this kid but almost immediately said ‘that kid reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew’ in his style of play.  I saw a few here mention Payton like moves but have to say to me it’s more like MJD.  (Maybe it’s the #32)

Cool story about Montgomery:

"Lou Ayeni was at home last season when his phone started ringing around 2 a.m. When he saw running back David Montgomery was calling him that early in the morning, Ayeni, an Iowa State associate head coach, said his mind started racing about what could have gone wrong. The problem? Montgomery, who wanted to do some late-night studying, was at the team’s practice facility, but couldn't remember the password to access game film. Montgomery said he’s spent some of his Friday and Saturday nights during the summer at the team’s practice facility. He’d arrive at 10 p.m. and sometimes stay until 2 or 3 a.m. Montgomery would spend the time watching film, doing footwork drills or running routes.

- from 2017 https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2017/08/17/iowa-states-david-montgomery-working-avoid-sophomore-slump/570184001/

I also read that eventually half the team was in with him at the facility working out or watching tape after hours.

11 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

That is cool, thanks for sharing.  That said, a good night’s sleep is also important.  :-) 

Absolutely, I just think it shows his commitment and effort level. Very few kids at that age would be doing that.

On 4/28/2019 at 6:52 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Watched a few more highlights of Montgomery’s while sitting on my back deck (it’s sunny as I’ll get out up here and nearing 60 - that’s warm for us).  Anyhow, still haven’t seen a lot of catches from this kid but almost immediately said ‘that kid reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew’ in his style of play.  I saw a few here mention Payton like moves but have to say to me it’s more like MJD.  (Maybe it’s the #32)

MJD was a power back,  I do not see the similarity. Monty is more elusive has wiggle. I think he reminds me a little of Payton with all of his zinging and zaging . 

I would love for them to do the 40 in pads. The smaller, lighter guys wear relatively the same amount of gear, but a higher percentage compared to their body weight. So a 185lbs WR wearing 10lbs of gear is going to be slower compared to their original speed than a 215lbs RB wearing 10lbs of gear. Both will be slower, but the lighter guy will traditionally take a bigger hit with the extra weight than the bigger guy. 

The difference between 4.5 and 4.6 is one yard of distance every 5 seconds. So a 4.5 player would take 5 seconds to make up one yard of distance if chasing a 4.6 player. In that time, the 4.6 player would have traveled 44 yards. So if the 4.6 player has a two yard lead, that's 88 yards.

"The difference between 4.5 and 4.6 is one yard of distance every 5 seconds. So a 4.5 player would take 5 seconds to make up one yard of distance if chasing a 4.6 player. In that time, the 4.6 player would have traveled 44 yards. So if the 4.6 player has a two yard lead, that's 88 yards."

OK,  I was told that math was not going to be used on this board.  

4 hours ago, adam said:

I would love for them to do the 40 in pads. The smaller, lighter guys wear relatively the same amount of gear, but a higher percentage compared to their body weight. So a 185lbs WR wearing 10lbs of gear is going to be slower compared to their original speed than a 215lbs RB wearing 10lbs of gear. Both will be slower, but the lighter guy will traditionally take a bigger hit with the extra weight than the bigger guy. 

The difference between 4.5 and 4.6 is one yard of distance every 5 seconds. So a 4.5 player would take 5 seconds to make up one yard of distance if chasing a 4.6 player. In that time, the 4.6 player would have traveled 44 yards. So if the 4.6 player has a two yard lead, that's 88 yards.

Excellent point on the smaller players and IMO that's why Taylor Gabriel doesn't standout as being fast, despite his fast 40 time.  He's not slow either but there are plenty of DBs keeping pace with him stride for stride once it's a straight line race.  Beyond the overall 40 time,quickness comes into play as well.  How fast can you get to top speed and how quickly can a player make cuts at speed, which is something Antonio Brown does well.  Some guys like Tavon Austin are incredibly quick in the 10 yard split but lack long speed.  The net 40 time might be impressive but he's often run down from behind in the secondary.  But he'll be the first one out of a phone booth.

Interesting article.  I've been thinking about the Raiders and Josh Jacobs who was taken with our pick.  I think there is little difference between Jacob's and Montgomery's skill sets and so IMO in terms of draft value I think we are the clear winners.  When you look at this article and how they present the stats Montgomery becomes a very intriguing option.  It will be interesting to see how their careers play out.  I believe both will be successful but how much more productive does Jacobs have to be to justify that high pick?    

https://www.chicagoaudible.com/david-montgomery-collegiate-numbers/ 

7 hours ago, lemonej said:

I remember being a little upset when the Bears choose Howard over Langford at the RB position. With that being said , I have decided to trust this GM especially in the rounds he picked players this year.

+1