David Montgomery RB is the pick

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching him for two years.  He can do  a little of everything except hit the long run.  He ran behind a poor Oline but still got positive gains out of nothing.  We'll see him jump cut and hit holes that Howard would need 2-3 steps to hit.  That said I'm surprised we traded up for him as I expected we'd either draft someone with more speed, or just grab one of the RBBC types later in the draft.  Pace must have had a solid 2nd Rd grade on him.  

I'll add this:  If Nagy and Trubisky can get the passing game going consistently then Montgomery will feast on the light box defenses he'll see.  His top speed is similar to Howard's but he's quicker.  

Besides Pace, Nagy had a lot to do with this pick. If he is our K. Hunt, I would say all of this is a winner. Pace didnt grab a backup, he got a front line player that will have an impact on the offense this year. If he ends up with 2 or 3 players that make a contribution this year, I think that is the best we can expect.

Buffalo took a RB with the next pick so I think he went after his guy because he wouldnt be there at 87. 

This means Mizzel is gone, thank God.

Meh from me. I get it, especially with all the Kareem Hunt comps, but he looks small and couldn’t break long ones in college. I liked the mid round RBs as a whole, so I bet there will be some one at 87 or when they pick in the fourth that I’d just as soon have as Montgomery (either Williams, Weber, etc.). 

I’ll say this - the Bears better be improved running the football next year after trading Jordan Howard for not much and giving up draft capital to move up for Montgomery. 

2 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Meh from me. I get it, especially with all the Kareem Hunt comps, but he looks small and couldn’t break long ones in college. I liked the mid round RBs as a whole, so I bet there will be some one at 87 or when they pick in the fourth that I’d just as soon have as Montgomery (either Williams, Weber, etc.). 

I’ll say this - the Bears better be improved running the football next year after trading Jordan Howard for not much and giving up draft capital to move up for Montgomery. 

At 215lbs he is not small and he does not go down easily.  Defenders often need to bring a posse to bring him down.  His short choppy stride limits his long speed but it's also what gets him excellent balance, even with contact, and quickness in his cuts.  

One of his draft profiles: https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Always comes into contact low, hot, and with the intent to knock someone's teeth out. Can drag tacklers or straight up run through second and third level defenders with excellent leg drive and natural leverage.

6 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

At 215lbs he is not small and he does not go down easily.  Defenders often need to bring a posse to bring him down.  His short choppy stride limits his long speed but it's also what gets him excellent balance, even with contact, and quickness in his cuts.  

One of his draft profiles: https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Always comes into contact low, hot, and with the intent to knock someone's teeth out. Can drag tacklers or straight up run through second and third level defenders with excellent leg drive and natural leverage.

I am interested to see what he can behind a better O-line because part of the reason he broke so many tackles is because he didn’t have the clean running lanes a lot of other backs did, so he maybe didn’t have s chance to show long speed. But as it is I watch his highlights and it’s mostly goal line dives and 12-yard runs, which don’t get me super excited personally. 

24 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Im gonna disagree. He's 5' 11" which is prototypical NFL running back size. He only looks short because he is wide.

Youre right he isnt a home run hitter - hes more quick than fast, but he will take a lot of 3 yard gains and turn them into 5, 7 and 15 yard gains, and he does get rumbling for big gasins, he just usually gets caught from behind around the 10 yard line. Thats OK, in fact perfect for his role.

He has great balance and vision and hes a real thumper. Plus he has hands. He has vision, but not the paitent kind Howard had. He hits the hole hard and can cut the zone plays in a single power step that took Howard a couple steps to accomplish.

I think this is really going to take our running game to the next level in a way that meshes (pun intended) very well with Nagys system.

By November, youre gonna love this guy.

10 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I am interested to see what he can behind a better O-line because part of the reason he broke so many tackles is because he didn’t have the clean running lanes a lot of other backs did, so he maybe didn’t have s chance to show long speed. But as it is I watch his highlights and it’s mostly goal line dives and 12-yard runs, which don’t get me super excited personally. 

He'll never be your home run hitter but he'll be the one who keeps the offense in 3rd and short.  

He is never going to have a 60 yard run but will have a lot of 20 yard runs. If you liked Hunt, your going to like his twin. Both have the same long speed 4.62 and 4.63. Hunts combine numbers are almost exactly the same as Monty.Hunt was second in missed tackles the year he came out behind Monty, Monty lead the nation in missed tackles the last two years. Coming out of college he is more of a accomplished  WR. 

Hunt weighted 216, Monty 215. same height.

So will all of your negative Nellies be okay if he has Hunts numbers?

We traded Jordan Howard and then brought in something like 16 running backs to check out.  As soon as the Rams took a running back, we decided to move up.

We obviously feel that he will have a Kareem Hunt like impact on this team, meaning that he’ll be performing at a pro bowl level. This is a player that we expect will help us win immediately.  You gotta love it.   

He will have 50 yard runs too tho. But the fastest defender can chase him down. That's OK for a running back, especially with Cohen available too.

THis guy is not a power back. Hes got a lot of twitch. Think LeSean McCoy when he was with the eagles.

He also has soft hands and played QB in high school - wildcat anyone?

Just now, bradjock said:

We traded Jordan Howard and then brought in something like 16 running backs to check out.  As soon as the Rams took a running back, we decided to move up.

We obviously feel that he will have a Kareem Hunt like impact on this team, meaning that he’ll be performing at a pro bowl level. This is a player that we expect will help us win immediately.  You gotta love it.   

YES

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

Meh from me too.  Taking into consideration some of the critique of Howard after the trade a few weeks ago I’m trying to see where the team gained.  In the highlight film above I may have missed it but I didn’t see him catch one pass out of the backfield and it seemed a majority of his runs were in the 1-3 holes.  He wasn’t particularly fast at choosing his running lanes either. 

In just pure draft comparisons alone; Montgomery ran the 40 in 4.63 had 15 reps on the bench a 28.5 inch vertical and 121 inch broad jump.  He had a a draft prospect grade of 5.8.  Howard’s measurables were 4.59 / 40 (I think done during pro day), 16 reps, a 34 inch vertical and 122 inch broad jump ending up with a 6.1 prospect grade. 

To me it seems we downgraded a hair in the deal. I thought their goal was versatility and I don’t feel that happening with this guy. 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I hope Jason doesnt do something stupid after this pick. I would miss his arrogance. 

I hate it. It’s a bad move. And I don’t care what anyone says. The Bears had a similar RB, who was proven, but dumped him for pennies on the dollar. And probably because the management already knew who they wanted. So they purposely made a hole where there wasn’t one, and then filled it...maybe. That’s like having a sturdy wooden boat and punching a hole in it, watching water pour in, all just because you wanted to prove the patch kit you liked could do a better job.

AND they had to trade up to get him. This front office becomes enamored with specific players and gets nervous, which causes the trading up. It occurs far too much.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meh from me too.  Taking into consideration some of the critique of Howard after the trade a few weeks ago I’m trying to see where the team gained.  In the highlight film above I may have missed it but I didn’t see him catch one pass out of the backfield and it seemed a majority of his runs were in the 1-3 holes.  He wasn’t particularly fast at choosing his running lanes either. 

In just pure draft comparisons alone; Montgomery ran the 40 in 4.63 had 15 reps on the bench a 28.5 inch vertical and 121 inch broad jump.  He had a a draft prospect grade of 5.8.  Howard’s measurables were 4.59 / 40 (I think done during pro day), 16 reps, a 34 inch vertical and 122 inch broad jump ending up with a 6.1 prospect grade. 

To me it seems we downgraded a hair in the deal. I thought their goal was versatility and I don’t feel that happening with this guy. 

The biggest problem with Montgomery catching the football was that we didn't have a good QB at Iowa State for most of his career.  That changed midway through the season when we started the true freshman from my current home town (Gilbert, AZ).  I had to rewind the the game on the DVR when that flashed by on the screen.   Anyway, I've seen him catch a few passes but even I have to rely on the scouting reports (and Nagy/Pace) for how good his receiving skills are.    

2 minutes ago, jason said:

I hate it. It’s a bad move. And I don’t care what anyone says. The Bears had a similar RB, who was proven, but dumped him for pennies on the dollar. And probably because the management already knew who they wanted. So they purposely made a hole where there wasn’t one, and then filled it...maybe. That’s like having a sturdy wooden boat and punching a hole in it, watching water pour in, all just because you wanted to prove the patch kit you liked could do a better job.

AND they had to trade up to get him. This front office becomes enamored with specific players and gets nervous, which causes the trading up. It occurs far too much.

We were all worried about you after this pick.  It's at least good to know you've been released from the ICU and are back home.    

7 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We were all worried about you after this pick.  It's at least good to know you've been released from the ICU and are back home.    

I’m barely over an hour from Nashville and didn’t even want to go or watch. I watched Avengers Endgame instead. He’s a shifty player and he will make some great runs, but it won’t be enough to make up for how it all went down.