2020 possible draft needs

ASHKUM BEAR

The 2019 draft has ended and we came away with a RB and WR that will see game time and maybe a slot corner.  Next year depending on who we extend, we will need the following:

SS- HaHa Clinton-Dix is on a one year deal, he will put together a great season a most likely depart. Deon Bush and DeAndre Houston Carson also will be at the end.

OLB-Aaron Lynch, Isiah Irving, RRH, and will be FAs and Floyd entering his final.  They need to nail that down so we have a solid backup that could elevate to a quality starter

C-Cody Whitehair - though I expect him to get extended before the season, he may create a huge need if he leaves.

DE-Jon Bullard and RRH are due to hit FA, Nichols is slotted to elevate, but they will need another prospect in the pipes. 

G-Long will have one year left. Bar may be his replacement. 

T-Coward will hit FA, do they sign him long term or draft a top prospect.

ILB-Trevathan and Kwitkowski will be hitting FA.  We have Iggy but not much depth behind that. 

QB-Chase will be a FA and the Bears would be wise to get another young gun in the mix. 

Safety will definitely be a need if HHCD walks. It will be interesting to see how he plays with Jackson. If they play well together, it would be nice to lock both of them up. However, depth will be an issue regardless. Safety will be a need.

Floyd has two year's left, so anything would be a depth move before 2020. In next year's draft, it would be a depth selection.

Whitehair is getting re-signed, I can't see them letting him walk. So we are technically good thru 2020 if Whitehair gets extended. So I would say OG is a secondary priority for next year's draft.

DL will be a priority with Bullard, Williams, and RRH all hitting free agency. Definitely a top priority.

ILB will be a need with both Trevethan and Kwiat hitting free agency. We need to shed some salary, and I think we will do it here. That's almost $10M off the books if we let these guys walk. 

QB - They won't be able to afford Daniel at $6M after this year with Mack's big money hitting next year. So I assume they will go with Bray and bring in a rookie.

My priority for next year's draft would be Priority 1: ILB, DL, and Safety (depending on HHCD), and Priority 2: Edge, OG, and backup QB

2nd Round (Raiders)
2nd Round
5th Round 
5th Round (Raiders-conditional)
6th Round 
6th Round (Eagles)
7th Round

Right now we have 6 guaranteed picks and a 7th pick conditionally from Raiders (do not know the qualifier for it). I assume we will trade down from one of the 2nd rounders to pick up some additional picks. We do not have a 3rd rounder (Mack trade) or a 4th rounder (Montgomery trade), so moving back with one of the 2nd's to possibly recoup those makes a lot of sense. If the Raiders are bad again, we could be looking at a mid-30's 2nd rounder, which are normally highly sought after (early pick in Day 2). For math purposes, let's say they finish with the 6th worst record, the 2nd rounder would be #38 worth 520 pts. We could potentially move back to #54 and gain back a mid-3rd rounder. I would then make that selection and consider trading out of #64 at the end of the 2nd for an early 3rd rounder to gain back a 4th. So theoretically, we could end up with:

#54 (2nd): Our first pick after trading back from #38
#76 (3rd): Trade back from #64, pick up a 4th
#86 (3rd): Extra pick from moving back from #38 to #54
#114 (4th): Extra pick from moving back from #64 to #76
#144 (5th): Raiders conditional pick
#170 (5th): 
#194 (6th): Eagles conditional pick (could move to a 5th if Howard balls out)
#205 (6th):
#246 (7th):

Besides winning the Super Bowl, it would be hilarious to give Oakland the #32 pick and then get back something like #33-35 in the same draft.

Next year I think Trevathan,  HaHa,.Prince, and Long will be leaving. Need their cap space. I think Coward or Bars will take the OG spot. Joel Iggy will take over for Trevathan, Tolliver or Joseph will take Princes place. We need a S front and center. We have some new CBs so I think our CB spots will be covered.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Contract wise, only HaHa and Trevathan are set to hit FA after this season.  I don't think they cut Prince or Long, maybe trade them.  I think Long retires once that contract ends too.

The Bears need to save some this year to rollover for next year. If they can save about $10M, they will be ok in 2020 and then have some tough calls in 2021. For next year, there will be some interesting decisions.

Kyle Long goes from $5.6M to $9.6M from 19-20. Massie goes from $3.8M to $8.3M. Those two account for an increase of $8.5M. On defense, Goldman goes from $5.3M to $10.8M and Mack goes from $11.9M to $26.6M. Lastly, Floyd goes from $5M to $13.2M. Those 3 total a whopping $28.4M increase from 2019 to 2020 cap hits. So those 5 players will cost $37M more from 2019 to 2020. There is no way they all are on the team in 2020. The cap goes up about $10-$11M a year which can account for some of that. Then you have Parkey's dead money off the books ($4M), which then leaves about $22M unaccounted for.

Cutting Prince saves $9M in 2020, cutting Long saves $8M and not resigning Daniel would save $6M. There is $23M right there. Then you have huge contract increases for Jackson and Whitehair, and potentially another one for Floyd. Trevathan leaving would have $7.6M coming off the books and Kwiatkoski would save just over $2M. We definitely can't resign those guys and pay Jackson, Whitehair and Floyd. We seem to be stuck with Burton and Skrine thru 2020. The only other option is cutting Gabriel and eating $2M in dead money for 2020. He would save $4M. So there are options, but Pace will have to continually turn over this roster and pick and choose who stays and who goes. 

The team will be due a complete overhaul when Trubisky hits year #6. So we have a 3-year window with the current team as constructed. Once QB1 goes from $10M to +$30M, we will be losing 2-3 top tier players, so picking up key draft picks in 2020 and 2021 is going to be critical to the long term success of the franchise.

52 minutes ago, adam said:

The Bears need to save some this year to rollover for next year. If they can save about $10M, they will be ok in 2020 and then have some tough calls in 2021. For next year, there will be some interesting decisions.

Kyle Long goes from $5.6M to $9.6M from 19-20. Massie goes from $3.8M to $8.3M. Those two account for an increase of $8.5M. On defense, Goldman goes from $5.3M to $10.8M and Mack goes from $11.9M to $26.6M. Lastly, Floyd goes from $5M to $13.2M. Those 3 total a whopping $28.4M increase from 2019 to 2020 cap hits. So those 5 players will cost $37M more from 2019 to 2020. There is no way they all are on the team in 2020. The cap goes up about $10-$11M a year which can account for some of that. Then you have Parkey's dead money off the books ($4M), which then leaves about $22M unaccounted for.

Cutting Prince saves $9M in 2020, cutting Long saves $8M and not resigning Daniel would save $6M. There is $23M right there. Then you have huge contract increases for Jackson and Whitehair, and potentially another one for Floyd. Trevathan leaving would have $7.6M coming off the books and Kwiatkoski would save just over $2M. We definitely can't resign those guys and pay Jackson, Whitehair and Floyd. We seem to be stuck with Burton and Skrine thru 2020. The only other option is cutting Gabriel and eating $2M in dead money for 2020. He would save $4M. So there are options, but Pace will have to continually turn over this roster and pick and choose who stays and who goes. 

The team will be due a complete overhaul when Trubisky hits year #6. So we have a 3-year window with the current team as constructed. Once QB1 goes from $10M to +$30M, we will be losing 2-3 top tier players, so picking up key draft picks in 2020 and 2021 is going to be critical to the long term success of the franchise.

Patterson is clearly a 1 yr deal, especially after this draft class.  There's $5mil.    I think Floyd will get a contract extension and in so doing they will lower his 2020 cap hit.  

How the 2020 draft could unfold.  We should fill depth and gain 1 instant starter and 3 or 4 big contributors.

If some of our 2019 class of picks and UDFA do well, maybe trade down for 2021 picks if we do not need all positions

2-Khaleke Hudson S Mich... starts

2-Youhanna Ghaifa DT/DE Wym... Contrib.

5-Keisean Lucier-South OLB UCLA Contrib.

5-Jacob Breeland TE Oregon...Contrib.

5 or 6 Scott Frantz OT Kan St...depth

6 Brian  Chaffin G/C Stanford.. depth

7 Jalen Hurts QB OKL. .3rd string-Bray elevates

4 or 5th comp pick - Lamar Jackson CB Neb. ..Contrib.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

If Ha Ha is a player we like, I don't see why he's gone in everyone's eyes.  If he's a keeper, it can be done.

Hard to say, they are about at that line when you have to choose...Dix or Jackson.  Fuller or Prince...  They are about maxed out with the core coming to fruit.

The problem is very few teams has 2 high priced Ss , Jackson will be extended next year. I dont think Long is gone after this year, when they redid his contract to have a favorable cap hit this year, they added that to next year, if we let him go next year according to Over he Cap he has a 9.5 mil cap hit. That wont happen at that price.