Bears pick up option on Floyd

Stinger226

Pace did what he said he was going to do. Picked up option on Floyd. 

Its a lot of money but I dont think they had a choice. He played well last year and didnt get completely heathy into later in the season. I think the lack of sacks was due to his broken hand although he played all his games. I think he is the breakout player this year with an uptick in sacks. Last year he had 4.5 sacks and I think this year he doubles that. Pagano is more aggressive than Fangio was. He will have many more opportunities  with blitzes.

One assumes we wanted to wait to see if we picked up an amazing pass rusher in the draft. Of course picking in the 3rd round, the likelihood was really low, but let's say for some stupid reason Bosa (or whoever you liked best in this draft at edge) fell to the 20th pick, we might be willing to trade up at that point for him.

Yes a totally unlikely scenario, but there was no reason to extend Floyd until you knew that didnt happen. It didnt, Floyd is good, we extended him. :)

While he's been disappointing, you looks at the names taken after him and there's not a lot to be excited about, and pass rushers in particular (Lawson, Dodd, Ogbah) have been uniformly underwhelming.  Lots of 5th year options being declined for that draft.