Who Would You Have Taken?

dawhizz

Always interested to see where others would have gone with the Bears picks.  I would not have traded up for Montgomery and I assume he would have been gone when I picked at 87, so I would have gone this way:

3) Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame - Can work in the slot like eventual actual selection Duke Sweeney but big enough to develop as an outside corner as well.

4) Travyveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M - This is who I took in my pre-draft mock draft and although I think he didn't actually go until the 6th I'd have taken him here.

5) D'Andre Walker, Edge, Florida State - I probably had him as a 3rd round pick or so, so I'd take him here as a developmental pass rusher.

7a) Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia - Although I like Dax Raymond who we got as a UDFA, I would have probably taken Nauta at this point in the draft.

7b) Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri - Great that we got him in UDFA, I would have had a hard time passing on him as the highest guy on most draft boards at this point in the draft.

I’m not a mock drafter and this is not the answer you’re looking for but...

Because I’m curious why wouldn’t you have traded up for Montgomery?  I see most of your picks looking similar to how they shook out, just a different order.  I agree that Montgomery and Williams probably could’ve (or will) similarly produce(d).

Personally I like the Ridley and Hall picks.  With Nagy needing as many pieces as he can get to make his offense go, I like the idea of potentially how those two will contribute.  Still think the CB/NB needed addressing and you did earlier in the draft similar to probably what I would have done. 

14 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Because I’m curious why wouldn’t you have traded up for Montgomery?  I see most of your picks looking similar to how they shook out, just a different order.  I agree that Montgomery and Williams probably could’ve (or will) similarly produce(d).

I wasn't much of a fan of Montgomery going into the process, admittedly.  I also don't like the trading of yet another future pick and I thought a lot of the mid-round RBs were similar enough that you could get nearly equivalent value in the 3rd as you might get in the 5th. 

I will take a shot at this in a bit, but I really like how the draft worked out. I didn't know anything on Shelley, but seeing his work now, I think he will fit in nice as a Callahan replacement and he will behind Skrine until he gets up to speed. Pagano is more a DB guy, so I think he had input on being able to develop him and Denmark who has jump out of the pool like athletic abilities. I may have drafted Bar or Raymond instead, but we landed them anyways...which the players at that point would rather get signed undrafted and play on a two year deal instead of 4.  As for trading up for Montgomery, we will see if it was worth it.  He is already getting slated to be a starter by writers.  If he pans out and the running game is a threat, then it was well played. 

Looked over the draft, have to say I liked the thought of Hooker and Love RB (if he would have been there rd 4, but was taken higher by Wash.)  This was all I could do looking over selections.  What we got is actually pretty good.

3-24 Amani Hooker or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - Safeties that can play multiple positions in the backfield. 

4- Calvin Ridley WR ,  Isaiah Johnson CB,

5 -Treyvon Williams RB

7-Duke Shelley CB - why not if he slides a few spots he has a feistiness to him and seems to be disruptive

7- Bar G - I would take a chance on the G from ND. If he never got hurt, he would be a rd 4-6 pick.

7 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Always interested to see where others would have gone with the Bears picks.  I would not have traded up for Montgomery and I assume he would have been gone when I picked at 87, so I would have gone this way:

3) Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame - Can work in the slot like eventual actual selection Duke Sweeney but big enough to develop as an outside corner as well.

4) Travyveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M - This is who I took in my pre-draft mock draft and although I think he didn't actually go until the 6th I'd have taken him here.

5) D'Andre Walker, Edge, Florida State - I probably had him as a 3rd round pick or so, so I'd take him here as a developmental pass rusher.

7a) Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia - Although I like Dax Raymond who we got as a UDFA, I would have probably taken Nauta at this point in the draft.

7b) Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri - Great that we got him in UDFA, I would have had a hard time passing on him as the highest guy on most draft boards at this point in the draft.

It is interesting to do this exercise and also difficult in a way because I know more now about the players we took than I did before the draft.   In other words I have very little background on players beyond the majority of RBs, a few DBs, and a few TEs in the draft.  

Rd 3:   I said a month ago that I could see Pace trading up 10 or so spots in Rd 3 to grab a RB who fell to that spot.  At the time I said it would be Miles Sanders.  In the last couple weeks before the draft I cooled on Sanders a bit simply because of his fumble issues.  I don't think that goes away too quickly at the NFL level and it worried me for a team that I feel is ready to compete deep into the playoffs.  That led me to Henderson and then Montgomery as the options.  I expected both to be gone in late Rd 2 but both last to Rd 3.  I'll stick to my sentiments that Nagy felt the pass receiving RB was key to the whole thing and just stay with the trade up for Montgomery.  I actually preferred Henderson just because I like having the home run threat but I am confident Montgomery will be the more consistent RB.  

Rd 4:  I'd have gone with CB Isaiah Johnson out of Houston.  

Rd 5:  traded away

Rd 6:  NB  Duke Shelley.  I didn't know about him heading into draft day but after watching him and learning about him he's a good fit at NB.  I'm not 100% confident he can develop into a starter but he has the potential and should at least provide solid depth.  That's about all you can ask for in Rd 6.  

Rd 7:   TE Isaac Nauta.   I liked him before the draft and with Montgomery, Cohen, Patterson, Nall, and Davis on board I see no reason to take Whyte here.  I'll get to see Nauta when we play the Lions.  

Rd 7:   OG Bars     This one is tough because going into the draft I'd have likely drafted Bars here.  However, I don't know his medical status and he appears to be headed for a likely red shirt season.  OTOH it's hard to argue with what I've seen of Denmark plus the coaches were able to see him first-hand during his team visit.   Again when doing this part time with only a glimpse into what players can do I'll just stay with Bars. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the grand scheme of things Pace needed to draft well enough that he can make some cuts next year to save cap space without a drop in performance.  With my draft he would have some ability to free up space at the CB positions (Amukamara, Skrine) and OG (Long - Bars). 

With Pace's picks that cap flexibility looks to be at WR (Patterson-Ridley), RB (Davis - Whyte), and maybe CB if Tolliver develops further this year along with  NB  (Skrine - Shelley).  Denmark should absolutely take over for McManis (2020 FA) on special teams coverage next year but it could happen this year opening up $1.7mil in cap space this year to be used on someone's contract extension.   

Then Pace went and got Bars, Hall, and Dax Raymond as UDFAs.  I'd have been happy with any of them in Rd 6/7.   Throughout the 7th Rd teams are on the phone with their potential priority UDFAs.  Judging by how quickly they committed to Chicago after the draft, by the time we made the Denmark pick Pace likely had some idea that Hall and Bars were coming to Chicago if they weren't drafted.   That may have swayed him to take Denmark who has the highest upside based on his athletic skills plus our needs.   

On 5/2/2019 at 3:18 PM, dawhizz said:

Nauta is a 6-3 244 TE that runs a .....4.91 40, no way.

20 hours ago, adam said:

Looks like we were looking to move up to 74 with the Bills, they said no, so we moved up to 73 and took Montgomery. They took Singletary. 

After Buffalo took Singletary I felt like Belichick was playing a bit of 3D chess when he traded back.  I can see Pace saying "hey Bill we tried to trade up with Buffalo, we think they want a RB and we want one too.  They refused to deal.  I want to come up and draft Montgomery before they do.  Are you in?" 

I don't really think they talk about specific players when trades are made but you can see Belichick expecting Pace to grab Montgomery knowing he's still on the board.  They likely knew the needs of division rival Bills and who they had heavily scouted.  Plus NE already has their lead RB and just needed a complimentary piece for their backfield.    With good depth available for backup RBs why not drop back, take away a good RB from your division rival which helps keep home field advantage in the playoffs, and get an extra pick this year and next.    

39 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

After Buffalo took Singletary I felt like Belichick was playing a bit of 3D chess when he traded back.  I can see Pace saying "hey Bill we tried to trade up with Buffalo, we think they want a RB and we want one too.  They refused to deal.  I want to come up and draft Montgomery before they do.  Are you in?" 

I don't really think they talk about specific players when trades are made but you can see Belichick expecting Pace to grab Montgomery knowing he's still on the board.  They likely knew the needs of division rival Bills and who they had heavily scouted.  Plus NE already has their lead RB and just needed a complimentary piece for their backfield.    With good depth available for backup RBs why not drop back, take away a good RB from your division rival which helps keep home field advantage in the playoffs, and get an extra pick this year and next.    

Damn, you might be on to something. Well played by Pace by asking Buffalo first too.  

On 5/2/2019 at 8:50 PM, adam said:

Looks like we were looking to move up to 74 with the Bills, they said no, so we moved up to 73 and took Montgomery. They took Singletary. 

From this it’s pretty clear the Bills were set on Singletary.  Still makes some question Pace’s motivation to try and jump ahead.  

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

From this it’s pretty clear the Bills were set on Singletary.  Still makes some question Pace’s motivation to try and jump ahead.  

I didn't see any evidence, other than the post commentary, to suggest Singletary was there guy.  For all we know, they wanted Montgomery and didn't trade because they thought we may go RB with it.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I didn't see any evidence, other than the post commentary, to suggest Singletary was there guy.  For all we know, they wanted Montgomery and didn't trade because they thought we may go RB with it.

At 5:21...  “...if our guys were there, like Devin...”. You’re suggesting he may have wanted Montgomery and just said that to save face? 

Yes he probably was concerned with the Bears taking RB but apparently it wasn’t to take Singletary. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

At 5:21...  “...if our guys were there, like Devin...”. You’re suggesting he may have wanted Montgomery and just said that to save face? 

Yes he probably was concerned with the Bears taking RB but apparently it wasn’t to take Singletary. 

That was on the recap.  He is absolutely going to name the guy he picked.  Knowing now that they were going RB, Pace made a great move to get in front of them.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Pace made a great move to get in front of them.

We shall see.  (Coming from the Jordan camp by the way).  😉

For what it’s worth, the more I read and learn of Montgomery, the more I like.  No doubt a high character kid.  So he has filled in for Howard in that regard.  Time will tell how he does on the field.  

13 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

23 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

If I look at his body language and that hesitation in his thoughts it sure doesn't seem like Singletary was the player he coveted.  He has no choice but to say positive things about Singletary to his fan base.   Knowing the timeline here would help.  Obviously Buffalo's GM makes it clear Pace was trying to just use next years 4th for the deal.  He says he wanted more yet a few minutes later Pace gave up more to NE to move up one spot higher in the same round.  Fact is Pace was willing to give more and it doesn't appear they countered the offer.  

The key here would be when did the Rams take Henderson and if Pace was talking with Beane afterward.  In the video Beane says for that deal we weren't going to move if we knew our "guys" were there.  Since we know RB was the target it's logical to assume the guys were Henderson, Montgomery, and Singletary.  If Pace called Beane once NE was on the clock then Beane already knew he had either Montgomery or Singletary and if they were graded the same he shouldn't have entertained the offer.  Yet if he wanted more to trade back, and was willing to do so, then why was there no counter offer?   

Then if Pace didn't receive a counter offer he may have assumed the Bills were likely waiting on the same RBs.  Which prompted the call to NE and a higher offer to make the trade.   I wonder if the multiple workouts and visits with Singletary led Beane to think the Bears were more interested in him than Montgomery?  Maybe he didn't worry if the Bears traded ahead of him because he thought he could still get Montgomery?   Only the shadow knows.