Bears Trade for Kicker

BearFan PHX

The Bears traded a conditional 7th rounder for K Eddie Pineiro

I remember reading about him in the draft a couple years ago.

It's interesting, with the league making so many trades and Free Agency etc, it's fascinating how players that we think will be a good fit for the Bears in the draft that we don't get to draft, sometimes end up on the team anyway later.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-trade-for-kicker-eddy-pineiro-20190506-story.html

In practice, this kid kicked a 81-yarder in pads in 2017. In 2015, as an 18 yr old, kicked a 70 and a 77 yarder. All in practice, but that is really tough to do in any conditions. 

77-yarder from 2015: 

Every kick looks the same when you look at his feet.  I think we have a winner here but what I don't like is they are always at the same landmark.  That's good for developing technique but can he hit that plant foot just in front of the ball when it's not on the line?  Can his holder put it in the same spot everytime?   

It appears we hired a kicking coach and he recommended his star pupil.  Not bad.  

13 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Every kick looks the same when you look at his feet.  I think we have a winner here but what I don't like is they are always at the same landmark.  That's good for developing technique but can he hit that plant foot just in front of the ball when it's not on the line?  Can his holder put it in the same spot everytime?   

It appears we hired a kicking coach and he recommended his star pupil.  Not bad.  

Yeah, the kicking consultant obviously had a lot to do with it. Hopefully it works out, we really need to get that position locked down. It is a conditional 7th round pick, so no biggie. It looks like he has to play 5 games for the pick to become official.

Consider me skeptical. The video was exciting, but if he was that good, the Raiders aren't trading him. That said, they do have a young kicker they also liked. Either way, no risk. If the Bears don't like him and they cut him, the Raiders get no one.  Dude appears to have a huge leg.  This is the first kicker I can actually get excited about since we had Gould. Technically, on paper, Parkey didn't look awful (he was good the year before with Miami).  But this guy is young, under contract (and at an affordable clip) and would seem to have some upside.  

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Consistent footwork is an important key to consistent success.  Parkey's footwork was often inconsistent which made every kick an adventure.  We risked very little to bring him over from the Raiders.  Dude's got a powerful leg.  The majority of our FG attempts last season were from 30 to 49 yards, looking at his time with Florida he was very accurate in that range.  Granted that's Florida and not Soldier Field in Chicago.  But he's got the leg to make the kicks, it's adjusting to the swirling winds.  And his last name isn't Blewit.  

Ever the Devils advocate; anyone remember Roberto Aguayo?  (Once himself a Bear - if only for a ‘cup of coffee).  Also played college ball in the State of Florida...and set many records while doing so.

I think questions like ‘why doesn’t Oakland want him’ and ‘how will he do in the swirling winds of Chicago’ are valid concerns. 

27 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think questions like ‘why doesn’t Oakland want him’ and ‘how will he do in the swirling winds of Chicago’ are valid concerns.

He was injured so they signed another kicker, and they had two.

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And now the Bears have three.  This one for a 7th round pick, another to a three year contract and a guy named ‘Blewitt’.   

Yay....

He only costs us a 2021 7th rounder if he plays 5 games for the team.  If he works out, I won't care about the draft pick. 

Fry won't cost us anything but a minimal signing bonus if cut. 

I don't care about Blewitt's name if he makes kicks. 

Realistically, Pineiro is the odds on favorite. He was trained by the kicking coach and I am sure he is the one to recommend we trade for him. 

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

He only costs us a 2021 7th rounder if he plays 5 games for the team.  If he works out, I won't care about the draft pick. 

The point of my sarcasm is more about Pace’s willingness to trade draft capital for what seems minimal gains.  In this case it’s possible he could give up a 7th round for nothing right?  Sure I understand 7th round is 7th round but still...

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The point of my sarcasm is more about Pace’s willingness to trade draft capital for what seems minimal gains.  In this case it’s possible he could give up a 7th round for nothing right?  Sure I understand 7th round is 7th round but still...

I get it but they have to fix this and they are turning over all the rocks they can to try and do so. 

Peace

37 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

I get it but they have to fix this and they are turning over all the rocks they can to try and do so. 

Peace

Plus, it’s a conditional 7th two drafts from now. If he doesn’t win the job and gets cut the raiders get zilch for him. Very low risk. For a kid that has legit leg strength. It is a situation where there is great pressure to get this right. No stone or gain of sand unturned 

4 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

right, he needs to be on the roster for 5 regular season games for the 7th rounder to apply. Pace knows what he's doing :)

And, if works out, no one will care about the draft pick. 

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

And, if works out, no one will care about the draft pick. 

Peace

exactly, and if it doesnt it costs us nothing is my point. I was reassuring Grizz that Pace isnt giving away draft capital for nothing.

I have seen a lot of people (nationally) think this is a joke the way Pace is handling the kicking circus. They say just go out and get a vet that is cut or has been let go. Last year Pace signed a vet that had the third best percentage in the NFL, that didnt work out. I applaud him doing what ever it takes to try to find a kicker. There is no correct policy to find a kicker, roll the dice.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I have seen a lot of people (nationally) think this is a joke the way Pace is handling the kicking circus. They say just go out and get a vet that is cut or has been let go. Last year Pace signed a vet that had the third best percentage in the NFL, that didnt work out. I applaud him doing what ever it takes to try to find a kicker. There is no correct policy to find a kicker, roll the dice.

Gotta say, I do find it comical in a way.  I do totally agree with on Pace.  Kickers don't define GM's.

And to be fair...it’s been “comical” ever since Robbie Gould left.  Sure getting Parkey at the beginning didn’t seem risky but who knew?

Hindsight being what it is, yes now it is funny.  But for him to have to agonize over just a kicker rather than 3-4 other key positions is a lot better than where some other teams are right now. 

On 5/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ever the Devils advocate; anyone remember Roberto Aguayo?  (Once himself a Bear - if only for a ‘cup of coffee).  Also played college ball in the State of Florida...and set many records while doing so.

If you watch the video, Aguayo is kicking 45 yarders and barely clearing the crossbar. Aguayo was really accurate in college, but never had a big leg. Pineiro has a big leg and is accurate. He hurt is groin, so who knows if he has recovered from that. His form seems really consistent, and knowing the Raiders blunders, watch this guy become a Pro Bowler on the Bears while their kicker struggles.