Bears Trade for Kicker

BearFan PHX

If Pineiro makes it in the NFL (Bears or otherwise) and becomes one of the better kickers it will be interesting to see if more young kickers adopt his style.  I am 100% not a kicking expert but it seems to me most kickers tend to pivot or move more sideways after the kick while Eddie moves more forward.  In some ways it is similar to an instep kick in soccer where you get your entire body weight behind the kick and follow through with a forward motion.  I watched some highlights of Gould and Justin Tucker to see if I was wrong.  Both end up closer to the ball but al little more to the left.  Even Aguayo in the video above pulls his plant foot through to the left of the spot.  Eddie hops more forward after contacting the ball and then ends up almost a yard or two forward of the spot following the arc of his kicking leg.   As kids are taught in soccer for the instep kick, the energy of his forward momentum ends up in the ball and without swinging his leg as hard he can get more velocity on the ball.  

11 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And to be fair...it’s been “comical” ever since Robbie Gould left.  Sure getting Parkey at the beginning didn’t seem risky but who knew?

Hindsight being what it is, yes now it is funny.  But for him to have to agonize over just a kicker rather than 3-4 other key positions is a lot better than where some other teams are right now. 

The only reason this team didn't advance in the playoffs is because of the double doink. You say agonize and I say improve the position.

19 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And to be fair...it’s been “comical” ever since Robbie Gould left.  Sure getting Parkey at the beginning didn’t seem risky but who knew?

Hindsight being what it is, yes now it is funny.  But for him to have to agonize over just a kicker rather than 3-4 other key positions is a lot better than where some other teams are right now. 

totally

On 5/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Wasn't long ago when we were one of those other teams agonizing over 3-4 other key positions and even more.  There is an element of comedy in it all including a kicker who's name lends itself to jokes.  I've heard Chicago Sports radio personalities laughing at it and using the term circus and while I haven't listened much to "experts" takes on it I'm sure the guys on the Score aren't the only ones seeing humor in it.  When we signed Parkey his past performance wasn't the thing being question it was more the contract.  Now after his one season here in which he cost us at least a couple wins that would have gotten us at least a #2 seed and a first round bye and then cost us a first round playoff win.

My take is people can laugh all the want.  I really don't even care what the process looks at finding a solution at kicker as long as we find a solution at kicker.  If Pace can get this position fixed the how won't matter so much anymore.  I have a feeling Pineiro has a legit shot of winning the competition, and being our week 1 kicker.  

Their is a lot of national personalities thinking it is a circus. They say to find a Vet that is out there or gets cut. Last year as you said they went out and got a vet with the 3rd best percentage in the league. They gave him a good contract thinking he was on the upswing to be consistent. That didnt work out. i dont care how going over every kicker available looks bad but they are checking out every scenario to figure it out. There is no clear right plan to find a kicker. Just try, Robbie is out. SF is keeping him and trading a higher draft pick to pay a kicker 5 mil isnt a good plan either. Just let it play out and hope they find a good one.