Signed a ST Ace

Stinger226

The Bears signed a ILB Kevin Pierre-Lewis. He has ties to new ILB coach Mark DeLeone. He played for the Jets last year. He played under DeLeone in 2017. 

6'1 236 lbs. had a 4.51 40 at his draft class. 

My question, would they leave him on the roster and cut someone like Nick Kwiatkoski or Joel IGGY ? As they look for special team players, I see them keeping 8 LBs . 4 in and 4 O. 

Curious why they make this move other than for ST type of situation.

Kwit is one of a few players I could see us trading late in the preseason.  Last year Iggy held the last backup/special teams role.  If Iggy is really standing out at ILB then he would move ahead of Kwit on the depth chart.  At that point Pace is looking at who is the 4th ILB and how much can he contribute on special teams.  I'm just not sure we get to that point this season plus Kwit still has value between the numbers.    He'd likely only have trade value to teams using a 4-3 scheme, or to teams that are desperate, so that limits trade opportunities.  

I don't think this guy was signed for much more than training camp body.  His best year so far was 2017 in KC with 35 tackles.  If he couldn't make a good enough impression on that lousy defense to stick around with them for 2018 (FA to Jets) then we should not be hopeful it all comes together for him this year.  

42 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Kwit is one of a few players I could see us trading late in the preseason.  Last year Iggy held the last backup/special teams role.  If Iggy is really standing out at ILB then he would move ahead of Kwit on the depth chart.  At that point Pace is looking at who is the 4th ILB and how much can he contribute on special teams.  I'm just not sure we get to that point this season plus Kwit still has value between the numbers.    He'd likely only have trade value to teams using a 4-3 scheme, or to teams that are desperate, so that limits trade opportunities.  

I don't think this guy was signed for much more than training camp body.  His best year so far was 2017 in KC with 35 tackles.  If he couldn't make a good enough impression on that lousy defense to stick around with them for 2018 (FA to Jets) then we should not be hopeful it all comes together for him this year.  

Pace traded up for Kwit, he might have some conviction left in him to keep him around.  It would be nice to get value out if him in a trade but very unlikely.  I did see him being a great fit for Fangio as an in the box tackling machine like Chris Borland was for SF. He just doesnt have the lateral speed to cover.