New TE and WR. uwww

Stinger226

3 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

No way Mixzell makes t roster at WR. We are stacked there with real WRs. The Sowell move is puzzling

I agree about Mizzell. Sowell will just be a 6th OL type TE, a blocker. If he can get open on a few surprise plays like the one he caught in the endzone, so much the better, but he's still gonna be an OT, he's just gonna be the 6th OL on the field type.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Bradley Sowell is now a TE ( must mean Coward is looking good to be our swing tackle.)

Taquan Mizzell is now a WR. good luck with that.

Coward looking good at OT was my first thought as well.  It's not like we have a lot of other options.   If you get in a bind you could still slot Sowell into the spot for half a game.   It also keeps Nagy's play calling options a bit more secretive as Sowell no longer has to report as eligible.   

The flip side here is what this means for Shaheen because I don't think it's good.   We have to see how everyone performs in the preseason but with Dax Raymond there will be competition.  Raymond will be a better blocker in the open field than Shaheen, less good as inline blocker.  If Raymond's getting the playbook down I could see us keeping Sowell, Burton, Raymond, Braunecker (special teams).   Shaheen could be cut or traded for a day 3 pick.   I think that's a long shot for Raymond as he's more likely to end up on the practice squad but if Shaheen struggles at all or is injured again, I could see them going with the new guy.  

Mizzell I think is being groomed as a practice squad WR who might get called upon as a slot WR in an emergency.   He still doesn't have the athleticism needed to succeed at this position either.   I'd much rather see a practice squad spot go to someone else with more potential.   

28 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

The flip side here is what this means for Shaheen because I don't think it's good.

I agree, Shaheen is looking more and more like a bust.

If he has a good camp and plays up to his potential, he still has a shot, but I think unless some kind of lightbulb comes on, he's gonna be a swing and a miss.

TE will definitely get some attention going forward into free agency, next year's market and the draft.

I do not think any of these moves at TE mean anything in regards to Shaheen.  The Bears will have at least 4 TEs on the roster.  Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker are locks. Sowell and Raymond will compete. Burton mysteriously was unavailable for the Bears biggest game of last season.  I think that burns Pace and Nagy more. If they keep Nall as a FB with his preseason leading 7 yds per carry, I think he can do what Burton can in a pinch if needed. 

Shaheen does have a lot to prove, but he looked the part early on in preseason until his injury.  This is Shaheens make or break season, year 3 you have to produce. 

I agree Shaheen can still turn it around. I sure hope he does, that would be fantastic for our offense.

I also agree that Sowell doesnt replace what Shaheen does, so they arent related.

I still think they arent convinced about Shaheen, and if he doesnt shine in camp, he might not make the cut. He still might, but a free agent might replace him too. Pace isnt one to sit on his hands.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:01 AM, AZ54 said:

It also keeps Nagy's play calling options a bit more secretive as Sowell no longer has to report as eligible.   

this is a good point, and Naggy does like to get creative.  It would eliminate drawing attention to him being eligible as teams are now all to aware that inside the 10 Naggy likes to pull something from the bag of tricks.  Not having an official make the announcement of Sowell being eligible.   Good point also by BearFan NYC that he'll likely still fill the roll of a 6th OL as more of a blocking TE who will occasionally catch the ball.  He did show good hands on his one TD reception for an OT.  Looking at it in this light it makes more sense.  

Like others I have a feeling Mizzell will be gone and that I see as addition by subtraction.  He's not good at RB, he won't be good at WR, with our group of WR's I'd rather see someone else get the practice squad spot.

The Mizzell stuff is baffling. Why keep him on the roster and take reps away from other players that might make the roster? Does he have nude pictures of Pace or something?

Sowell is actually a good receiver, so this makes sense because there is now nothing stopping him from just lining up as a TE (without reporting) and going out into a route. Actually a pretty slick move.  There seems to be some very clever things you can pull off with this type of flexibility. I could also see him blocking at first then peeling off for some easy catches on some delayed screens.

1 hour ago, adam said:

The Mizzell stuff is baffling. Why keep him on the roster and take reps away from other players that might make the roster? Does he have nude pictures of Pace or something?

Sowell is actually a good receiver, so this makes sense because there is now nothing stopping him from just lining up as a TE (without reporting) and going out into a route. Actually a pretty slick move.  There seems to be some very clever things you can pull off with this type of flexibility. I could also see him blocking at first then peeling off for some easy catches on some delayed screens.

At the moment it doesn't hurt to have Mizzell on the roster as he knows the offense.  With 90 players practicing it doesn't hurt having a little experience on the field as it helps to evaluate other players (i.e. defense) who may actually be worthy of a roster spot or practice squad spot.  

Sowell actually had a  catch last season as a tackle eligible for either a TD or 2 point conversion and was involved in one of the more controversial plays of last season where Trubisky tried to force a throw to him and started the Nagy trying to be too cute during games comments.

Different players progress at at different rates. Shaheen being from a small school and having some injuries along the way is still a work in progress. This is the year he has to show value or lack their of. I dont think he is a bust yet. Being a 2nd round pick, we expected instant success. He size and athleticism hasnt changed just his progression. I think they are bringing Sowell in the TE group is just an option for a true blocking TE. Shaheen because of a lack of playing time, just isnt their yet. I think a UDFA TE becoming our 3rd or 4th TE may be a stretch. I think they are just covering their bases to have what they need at the start of the season.

no way you can compare him to White. If he doesnt step up, he will be in the conversation. You can never figure injuries in the formula but it does have an affect on it. I see him getting 40-503 and 4 TDs this year. Should he do better as a 2nd round pick, yes but I think he will shine in 2020 when we cut Burton due to cap space.

27 minutes ago, lemonej said:

What has Shaheen done that makes you so optimistic about him a year from now? He has a injury history just like White and has yet to do what Goldman or even Miller has done.

Shaheen missed 8 games in his second year. White was injured and missed most of each of his first 3 seasons. There is no comparison on injury history. 

Peace

9 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Shaheen missed 8 games in his second year. White was injured and missed most of each of his first 3 seasons. There is no comparison on injury history. 

Peace

There is on production. So instead of mentioning David Terrell aka Kevin White I should have said Robocop James Thorton territory.

6 hours ago, lemonej said:

There is on production. So instead of mentioning David Terrell aka Kevin White I should have said Robocop James Thorton territory.

At this point, he's not as good a Thorton. This is a make or break year for him. 

Peace