Coach on Mitch

Bill

Bears head coach Matt Nagy updated the progress of third-year quarterback Mitchell Trubisky on Wednesday, noting that,

"Mitch is in and out of the huddle, he sees the defense, and from the time we've been out here it's exciting.

OK, I know that is coach speak but it just seems funny.  I would be really scared if he could not get in or out of the huddle and did not see the defense.  Does someone point him in the right direction when he can't get in or out of the huddle or see the D?   It's that way Mitch.

Nagy said during the offseason that last year at this time, Mitch was learning basic things like getting out of the huddle and getting everyone aligned, and didnt really see the defenses.

I think hes saying that Mitch has enough experience now that he is able to perform the mechanics automatically, and now his mind is free to work on the puzzle in front of him.

Thats my take anyway.

I think so to, it sounds like a general offseason compliment, that mostly means he feels Mitch is more fluid and comfortable/confident in leading the offense.  And the game has slowed for him to the point where he's more focused on reading the defense better in understanding what they're doing and how best to attack it.  Proof will be in the pudding when the season starts and the games count.  

I forgot the quote, but Nagy and Mitch both have said in interviews that the offense is light years ahead of where it was at last year at this time. With so many returning players, I have to imagine a huge jump in performance for Mitch this year.

Mitch's progress reminds me of some military schooling I had to do a long time ago. We had 7 minutes to wake up, make bunk, align shoes, brush teeth, shave, clean designated common area, and get to formation in 7 minutes. It was impossible to do at first and we got smoked for hours on end for what felt like an eternity. However, after repeating this over and over after about a month I would get it done in 5 and easily be in formation ready to go with time to spare. 

I feel like Mitch had to do that while also learning a new language on the fly. Now with the basics out of the way, he can really walk up to the line and feel confident and comfortable on what he is seeing, make necessary adjustments and know his progressions and where is outlet is at. The game is really going to slow down for him. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I forgot the quote, but Nagy and Mitch both have said in interviews that the offense is light years ahead of where it was at last year at this time. With so many returning players, I have to imagine a huge jump in performance for Mitch this year.

Mitch's progress reminds me of some military schooling I had to do a long time ago. We had 7 minutes to wake up, make bunk, align shoes, brush teeth, shave, clean designated common area, and get to formation in 7 minutes. It was impossible to do at first and we got smoked for hours on end for what felt like an eternity. However, after repeating this over and over after about a month I would get it done in 5 and easily be in formation ready to go with time to spare. 

I feel like Mitch had to do that while also learning a new language on the fly. Now with the basics out of the way, he can really walk up to the line and feel confident and comfortable on what he is seeing, make necessary adjustments and know his progressions and where is outlet is at. The game is really going to slow down for him. 

That's a good analogy.  Been there done that. 

Last year Mitch was still learning the language of the plays plus what that meant for who had to line up where, motions, who ran which route, blocking schemes, RPOs, read options, and then he had to read the defense after the snap when it all changed.