TopThe Top 100 Bears Of All Time Don Pierson And Dan Pompeii

lemonej

This was from ChicagoBears.com:

https://www.chicagobears.com/photos/top-100-bears-of-all-time-25-1

Has the top 25 on this story but links for the other 75 in it too.

Agree on some of your thoughts. If Jackson is so high why isn’t Mike Brown higher than where he is? Also why isn’t Robbie Gould higher on the list? Didn’t he set the highest scoring record in Bears history?  And other accolades?

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This was from ChicagoBears.com:

https://www.chicagobears.com/photos/top-100-bears-of-all-time-25-1

Has the top 25 on this story but links for the other 75 in it too.

Agree on some of your thoughts. If Jackson is so high why isn’t Mike Brown higher than where he is? Also why isn’t Robbie Gould higher on the list? Didn’t he set the highest scoring record in Bears history?  And other accolades?

Agreed and no matter how big of a jerk Jay Cutler who owns all the Bears passing records is 85th and Devin Hester is 20th!

Urlacher had a lot of talent, but i think he is overrated as a football player.

I remember the 85 team, and how they transcended Xs and Os. Urlacher didnt even get a ring. Ray Lewis was going to will his team to win games they would otherwise have lost. Urlacher did that once against the Cardinals in the famous "We let them off the hook" game. Urlacher was an all time great imposing his will in that one.

In other games he was fast and hit hard, he made it tough on opposing quarterbacks, but he wasn't transcendent like Ray Lewis, the 85 front 7 or Dick Butkis. Those guys got in your head. They were scary. Urlacher was just good, and while he had incredible talent, I don't believe he was "great"

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, adam said:

Singletary and Urlacher should be higher, over Covert, Hampton, and Fortmann. Yeah, Cutler should be top 25 easily, that is a vote on his attitude. 

I disagree with that because Hampton was All Pro at both DT and DE. Covert has yet to make the HOF so that I agree and I never saw Fortmann play so I can't judge him!

On 5/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, adam said:

Singletary and Urlacher should be higher, over Covert, Hampton, and Fortmann. Yeah, Cutler should be top 25 easily, that is a vote on his attitude. 

No way should Culter be top 25.  I would agree he was too low but I wouldn't put him higher than 50. 

Hampton was the best player on the Bears SB defense. He's right where he needs to be. 

Peace

2 hours ago, Connorbear said:

No way should Culter be top 25.  I would agree he was too low but I wouldn't put him higher than 50. 

Hampton was the best player on the Bears SB defense. He's right where he needs to be. 

Peace

Hampton and Dent were the engine that made it go. Marshall and Wilson are also really underrated. And Buddy Ryan too. That scheme at the time was so alien no one knew how to deal with it.

The 46 defense which was Buddy Ryan's signature scheme was with the team in 1978 under head coach Neal Armstrong, so the scheme was not new it just took GM Jim Finks time to draft the athletes Buddy needed. The Scheme was named for safety Doug Plank who was drafted prior to Buddy's arrival and originally teamed up with Gary Fencik and replaced by Dave Duerson.. IMO Buddy stumbled on to his success based strictly on Papa Bear retaining him and having a few HOF players to work with. Prior to that Ryan was tough on rookies and preferred less talented players like Len Walterschied and Jerry Muckensterm  over Fencik and Wilbur Marshall. In his rookie year Wilbur Marshall was a gunner on special teams just like William Perry was called a wasted draft pick and used on offense before he was inserted at DT and Hampton was moved to DE replacing Mike Hartenstine. Buddy's scheme really had 2 good years here and then he was gone.

I'm saying the scheme was new to NFL offenses.

In 1985 about half the pass plays in an NFL playbook didnt have a hot read. In 1986 every pass play in an NFL playbook had one.

Buddy had the alignment for a while etc, but he wasnt as blitz-happy as he was in 85, and that's what Im talking about.

We had a team full of athletes, but against a decent offense from the 1990s we wouldnt have been anywhere near as dominant. Dan Marino sort of showed us that.

Dont get me wrong, I have NEVER enjoyed watching football more than I did that 1985 season. That is my favorite team ever. They were amazing.

But a big part of their dominance was the way they overwhelmed offenses with too many rushers for their rules to handle.