Who Is Your Pick To Breakout?

lemonej

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I don’t get how Hall will figure into the rotation.  Isn’t he coming off some sort of season ending injury from last year(?). And Burton will probably show some regression this year for the same reason.

I suspect this year Wims will be trying to out-duel either Robinson or Gabriel and will supplant one or both if not this year, next year.  

I mean the rookie WR UDFA Emanuel Hall. He's 6' 2" ran a 4.39 40. I'm saying he and Wims battle for the 6th spot IF they keep 6 WRs.

Even if Wims supplants Robinson, which I dont really see. They won't cut Robinson mid year, so barring a trade, Wims may be battling Robinson over the next couple of years for his role, but not his roster spot in 2019.

I agree that Gabriel is in the hot seat, but his competition is Miller more than Wims. Interestingly though, if Miller ascends, and they release Gabriel, which is a lot more likely than Robinson getting released, then that WOULD cement Wims' roster spot.

So Wims is fighting to supplant Robinson on the field, but if he's gonna make the roster, he needs to blow away Hall OR have Miller make Gabriel expendable.

Keep in mind that Gabriel's main role was the Jet sweep, which Patterson will now own.

The more I look at things, the more I think Gabriel is in trouble. I suppose he was a stop gap measure from Pace, being that Gabriel is so small, to get speed for Nagy until Pace could draft it in a larger package.

With Ridley, Miller & Patterson on the roster, I wonder what we could get in trade for Gabriel...

11 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I mean the rookie WR UDFA Emanuel Hall. He's 6' 2" ran a 4.39 40. I'm saying he and Wims battle for the 6th spot IF they keep 6 WRs.

Even if Wims supplants Robinson, which I dont really see. They won't cut Robinson mid year, so barring a trade, Wims may be battling Robinson over the next couple of years for his role, but not his roster spot in 2019.

I agree that Gabriel is in the hot seat, but his competition is Miller more than Wims. Interestingly though, if Miller ascends, and they release Gabriel, which is a lot more likely than Robinson getting released, then that WOULD cement Wims' roster spot.

So Wims is fighting to supplant Robinson on the field, but if he's gonna make the roster, he needs to blow away Hall OR have Miller make Gabriel expendable.

Keep in mind that Gabriel's main role was the Jet sweep, which Patterson will now own.

The more I look at things, the more I think Gabriel is in trouble. I suppose he was a stop gap measure from Pace, being that Gabriel is so small, to get speed for Nagy until Pace could draft it in a larger package.

With Ridley, Miller & Patterson on the roster, I wonder what we could get in trade for Gabriel...

Let's not trade away starting WRs.  All we know for now is that we have young WRs with potential.  Gabriel is a proven player with chemistry with Mitch and we need all the wins we can get.    

On 7/2/2019 at 12:54 PM, AZ54 said:

I agree with the last half of that sentence but this year for Wims to breakout he has to take away snaps from Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Cohen (who often lines up at WR), and now Patterson.  While he may see the field it's hard to see a path where he gets a ton of snaps.  Even when he is on the field I don't see that many passes coming his way.  We have to keep in mind that we have two new RBs who can run routes and catch (in addition to Cohen).  IMO for Wims to really standout his shot will have to come from someone getting injured. 

Long term I hope he can develop into the role Robinson plays for us and since his second contract isn't likely to be that big maybe he'll help save some cap space as well.   If Hall can also develop I can certainly see our top 4 WRs in a couple years being Miller, Ridley, Wims, Hall.    

I see it playing out that way because with Mack's contract and having to pay MT, unfortunately Robinson with have to leave. I think Robinson will be a top 10 WR this year which will be hard to dump next year, but in two years with MT getting paid. He will be gone.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Let's not trade away starting WRs.  All we know for now is that we have young WRs with potential.  Gabriel is a proven player with chemistry with Mitch and we need all the wins we can get.    

Everybody is in play this year, its the year after they have to make some tough decisions. 

Well when you have 6 starting WRs, you make a trade. We are a good team with a deep roster, and we have to start getting used to the idea of trading GOOD players. We havent been here before, Patriot fans live it every year.

I see Gabriel's role diminishing sharply this year, and I think he is worth something to someone else.

If not this year, then next year.

But Miller, Patterson and Ridley are all going to take touches away from Gabriel, and the meat of Gabriel's role, the Jet Sweep, is gonna be all Patterson.

Also to the idea that all we have now is young receivers with potential, I think Miller has already shown it, and Patterson has for sure, although hes more of a chess piece than a strict #2 WR. Still, Gabriel isnt the Jet sweep guy anymore, and he might be worth more to another team.

Here's why I chose Wims. With Josh Bellamy finally gone the need for another Gunner has opened up. He has the size and speed to pull it off and if he can be another Red Zone option because the TE's are a question mark right now. There's a reason why the Bears keep going after players from UGA. I think they have a good relationship with the coaching staff.

3 hours ago, lemonej said:

Here's why I chose Wims. With Josh Bellamy finally gone the need for another Gunner has opened up. He has the size and speed to pull it off and if he can be another Red Zone option because the TE's are a question mark right now. There's a reason why the Bears keep going after players from UGA. I think they have a good relationship with the coaching staff.

Getting there is half the battle, we have to see how well he can tackle.  It's not easy for a bigger player to break down at the end of a long sprint and then tackle a guy like Cohen.  There's a reason players like McManis can get paid $1.5mil/yr to do this.  All eyes will be on the WRs on offense but there is going to be one heck of a special teams battle going on this year.   Good luck figuring out the bottom end of our roster this year.  

On the outside gunner spots we will have battles between WRs  Wims, EHall,  and possibly even Ridley;  then among the DBs we have Tolliver, McManis (he won't go quietly), Denmark (he's already proven he can tackle in space), Franklin III, DHC, and Joseph.  

Interior kick coverage units will have battles too:  Braunecker, Dax Raymond, Ryan Nall, Matt Betts, Fitts, and Irving,

KR/PR:  Patterson and Cohen (both roster locks), MHall, Kerrith Whyte

It's always a big deal for players to earn a roster spot, but this year it's a chance to earn a roster spot on a team that has Superbowl potential. 

3 hours ago, lemonej said:

I plan on being at TC on Aug 2 as an annual rite of passage with my son-in-law and the next day is my 60th B-day.

Happy Birthday Lemon!

Youre 60, Bears are 100. Awesome.

7 hours ago, lemonej said:

I plan on being at TC on Aug 2 as an annual rite of passage with my son-in-law and the next day is my 60th B-day.

Happy #60 Lemon!  

August is a good bday month.  My oldest daughter turns 21 and a good friend turns 50 on the 9th and 10th.  We’re heading to Vegas for all that!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the B-day greetings but the focus should be on me going back to TC, wearing the same gear (Gayle Sayers Jersey) as last year, taking a picture with my company mascot Jo Jo for Jewel-Osco and the most important thing is to just sit back and see what happens since a lot of the national media thinks that the Bears will be one of the teams  that will not make the playoffs again.