Who Is Your Pick To Breakout?

lemonej

Unlike years past this year there is so much continuity among our starters.  I think there's potential among many on the roster but I'm not sure we'll see it because they can't get snaps.  I include Tolliver and Wims among those.  I'm going to go with Leonard Floyd.   He has a new position coach who thinks differently about how to get him to best use his talent.

https://sportsmockery.com/2019/05/new-bears-olbs-coach-says-leonard-floyd-can-surpass-khalil-mack/

I am thinking Anthony Miller, if you can consider him a breakout candidate. He had only 33 receptions last year, playing with basically one arm (shoulder), but also had 7 TDs. That is a TD every 5 catches. If he gets into the 60 reception range, that could easily be 12+ TDs. 

I really think he becomes the go-to receiver for Trubisky.

On defense, I am thinking Bilal Nichols. With Goldman, Hicks, Mack, and Floyd getting the attention, Nichols can really make an impact in the trenches.

I'm gonna say David Montgomery.

I don't think any of us realize how much more Nagy really wanted to run the ball last year than he was able to. I think Montgomery is going to be a stud in our offense.

And if that's true, then Trubisky is going to be a big breakout too.

For me a breakout player is one that takes a giant step forward.  Miller, Nichols, Floyd all can take a step forward at the same time. for me I think R. Smith goes from being very good and a dominate defensive player on a top rated defense in the league. Becomes an all pro, will that make him a breakout player over last year?

If all of these names take a step forward and we are arguing about who deserves the title, we're going to be in the SB.Of course the one player that has to take a step forward is MT. Without his progress, were only a 10-6 or 11-5 team. If he takes a leap forward were 12-4 and on the way to the SB.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

For me a breakout player is one that takes a giant step forward.  Miller, Nichols, Floyd all can take a step forward at the same time. for me I think R. Smith goes from being very good and a dominate defensive player on a top rated defense in the league. Becomes an all pro, will that make him a breakout player over last year?

If all of these names take a step forward and we are arguing about who deserves the title, we're going to be in the SB.Of course the one player that has to take a step forward is MT. Without his progress, were only a 10-6 or 11-5 team. If he takes a leap forward were 12-4 and on the way to the SB.

well said

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Agreed on Smith is going to be a beast. 

Peace

A guy who was selected in the top ten of the first round is expected to breakout but, a guy who was drafted in the 7th round and wasn't expected to make the roster isn't. Even 2nd rd picks are expected to make an impact .Nichols is also on my radar because I see him making Bullard on the bubble. Mitch at 2, Floyd at 9 and Smith at 8 plus Miller that was traded up for and basically your 2nd rounder this year should all step up.

Players take different times to breakout.  It took Fuller nearly his full rookie contract to click.  The key is how long can a team afford to wait to find out.  The Bears went in knowing Shaheen will take time, does he click before his time is up.  The team is loaded with players that have or should.  Who is on deck whether they were a high pick or not: 

Floyd, Bullard, Nichols, RRH, Irving, Fitts, Iggy, Shelly.

Trubisky, Davis, Montgomery, Burton, Shaheen, Nall, Miller, Gabriel, Ridley.

Not many options, but to be way out there, I am going with Shelly on D, I think once he gets his foot in the door, he will shine and enjoy the spot light.  On offense, Nall is my guy.  I think he is the "secret weapon" Nagy let get accumulated on the PS to handle his multiple roles as the joker.  He will shift from RB to FB to TE and even WR.  His long speed and yards after contact will make him a nightmare to scheme.

Agree with Lemon that Wims will be a breakout on offense.  And maybe even Ridley.  They seem similar in skill set, or at least Wims and older brother Calvin did/do.

Roquan Smith I think will emerge as the new heir apparent for that long line of Bears dominance at MLB. I think maybe this year we start to see Trevathan slow a bit and Smith begin to take over some of the play calling.  

As an aside, I saw a comment on another thread about how Hampton and Dent were the heart of the ‘85 defense.  Was just thinking the other day about that very thing on our current team and two names came to mind; Trevathan and Hicks.  Definitely not the best players we have but certainly the cement that keeps it together.    

39 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Agree with Lemon that Wims will be a breakout on offense.  And maybe even Ridley.  They seem similar in skill set, or at least Wims and older brother Calvin did/do.

Roquan Smith I think will emerge as the new heir apparent for that long line of Bears dominance at MLB. I think maybe this year we start to see Trevathan slow a bit and Smith begin to take over some of the play calling.  

As an aside, I saw a comment on another thread about how Hampton and Dent were the heart of the ‘85 defense.  Was just thinking the other day about that very thing on our current team and two names came to mind; Trevathan and Hicks.  Definitely not the best players we have but certainly the cement that keeps it together.    

I think Trevathan provides more leadership and continuity than any of us realize.

To have a dominate defense you need a lot of good players. The 2 best are Hicks and Mack (for now) but Jackson, Fuller, Trevathan, Smith, Goldman, are stars in their own right. Floyd and Prince are good players.We have a perfect blend of potential great players. I see Smith and Floyd becoming stars. HaHa may have the best season in the back 5, he is playing for a contract. I would say Skrine is the weakness, but not sure he will be. We will once again dominate on D and lead the league in TOs.  And we will have to give the O some credit for keeping the D off the field, a team effort.

Break out season.  For this team to get to he top it has to be Trubisky 

Stats, probowl all pro, TD's interceptions, does not matter. The only thing that does is did  he lead this team to a victory in the SB.  Anything less is a failed season.  One of the greatest QB's ever to play the game always had the tag.  Did not win a Super Bowl.  And he only made it too one.   Thats the only metric we should measure anything.  As great as the 85 team was I have always been just as disappointed that they never made it back let alone win again.  

16 hours ago, Bill said:

Break out season.  For this team to get to he top it has to be Trubisky 

Stats, probowl all pro, TD's interceptions, does not matter. The only thing that does is did  he lead this team to a victory in the SB.  Anything less is a failed season.  One of the greatest QB's ever to play the game always had the tag.  Did not win a Super Bowl.  And he only made it too one.   Thats the only metric we should measure anything.  As great as the 85 team was I have always been just as disappointed that they never made it back let alone win again.  

Good point Bill and we’ll summarized.  I know many will knock Eli Manning but that guy has won two SBs.  As has Peyton, with two different teams.  As Stugotz would say ‘when you mix championship rings into a soup, no matter how you stir it, you always get a winning recipe.’

On 5/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Good point Bill and we’ll summarized.  I know many will knock Eli Manning but that guy has won two SBs.  As has Peyton, with two different teams.  As Stugotz would say ‘when you mix championship rings into a soup, no matter how you stir it, you always get a winning recipe.’

Come on, Manning didn't win , the team did. He's not a QB I'd select for anything.

Now, my pick for breakout is.....Alaskan Grizzly. We win the SB and everyone is good!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, ChileBear said:

Come on, Manning didn't win , the team did. He's not a QB I'd select for anything.

Now, my pick for breakout is.....Alaskan Grizzly. We win the SB and everyone is good!

Yea in football teams more times than not a team will  win over most indefiual players.  But there is no denying that it was Mr. Manning that made the plays during both playoff runs and his play in each Super Bowl that are the reasons they won.

So everybody picking Wims, what makes it a breakout season 30 catches? I would say that is a mild breakout, or just getting more opportunities? I think there is many players that improve. You can make an case for many players.  For us to go to the SB, MT has to take a big step. A defense with several great players, Hicks-Mack-Fuller-Jackson, I still think Smith stands out and makes the pro bowl, not as an alternate. He has good stats from last year but I think he will soar in big plays at critical times that pushes him to a star on a great defense.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:28 AM, Stinger226 said:

So everybody picking Wims, what makes it a breakout season 30 catches? I would say that is a mild breakout, or just getting more opportunities? I think there is many players that improve. You can make an case for many players.  For us to go to the SB, MT has to take a big step. A defense with several great players, Hicks-Mack-Fuller-Jackson, I still think Smith stands out and makes the pro bowl, not as an alternate. He has good stats from last year but I think he will soar in big plays at critical times that pushes him to a star on a great defense.

Agree with everything you said.  To include that Smith will make the Pro Bowl.  You can already see in the way he played last year how effective he is and just plain defensive smart.  Not to make comparisons to a former LB (recent HOF inductee) but Smith scored about 10-15 less solo tackles (almost the same combined tackles), 3 less sacks and 1 less interception than did Urlacher when he was a rookie.  Smith is no doubt something special. 

For what it’s worth I agree that Wims will be a huge upgrade to the offense this year and have a funny feeling we’ll hear a lot about both he and Ridley going forward. 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:01 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

For what it’s worth I agree that Wims will be a huge upgrade to the offense this year and have a funny feeling we’ll hear a lot about both he and Ridley going forward. 

I agree with the last half of that sentence but this year for Wims to breakout he has to take away snaps from Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Cohen (who often lines up at WR), and now Patterson.  While he may see the field it's hard to see a path where he gets a ton of snaps.  Even when he is on the field I don't see that many passes coming his way.  We have to keep in mind that we have two new RBs who can run routes and catch (in addition to Cohen).  IMO for Wims to really standout his shot will have to come from someone getting injured. 

Long term I hope he can develop into the role Robinson plays for us and since his second contract isn't likely to be that big maybe he'll help save some cap space as well.   If Hall can also develop I can certainly see our top 4 WRs in a couple years being Miller, Ridley, Wims, Hall.    

29 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I agree with the last half of that sentence but this year for Wims to breakout he has to take away snaps from Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Cohen (who often lines up at WR), and now Patterson.  While he may see the field it's hard to see a path where he gets a ton of snaps.  Even when he is on the field I don't see that many passes coming his way.  We have to keep in mind that we have two new RBs who can run routes and catch (in addition to Cohen).  IMO for Wims to really standout his shot will have to come from someone getting injured. 

Long term I hope he can develop into the role Robinson plays for us and since his second contract isn't likely to be that big maybe he'll help save some cap space as well.   If Hall can also develop I can certainly see our top 4 WRs in a couple years being Miller, Ridley, Wims, Hall.    

We are now a good team with a deep roster. We are entering new territory for Bears fans, where we trade away and cut GOOD players that other teams will want.

If we keep 6 WRs, then Wims will battle Hall for the 6th spot, unless Taylor Gabriel is on the bubble.

As weird as this may seem - Im not sure Wims will make the roster this year. If they can hide him on injured reserve that might be the most likely way he is still a Bear in a couple years.

I don’t get how Hall will figure into the rotation.  Isn’t he coming off some sort of season ending injury from last year(?). And Burton will probably show some regression this year for the same reason.

I suspect this year Wims will be trying to out-duel either Robinson or Gabriel and will supplant one or both if not this year, next year.