Burton Hernia

madlithuanian

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/29/bears-trey-burton-out-of-otas-after-hernia-surgery/

Bears’ Trey Burton out of OTAs after hernia surgery

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 29, 2019, 2:55 PM EDT

gettyimages-1074137020-e1559156095476.jp
Getty Images

Bears tight end Trey Burton did not play in Chicago’s playoff game after he popped up on the injury report unexpectedly. That injury turned out to be serious enough that it’s still affecting him, almost five months later.

Burton is not participating in Organized Team Activities, and Bears head coach Matt Nagy said today that it’s because he had hernia surgery. Nagy confirmed that the hernia surgery is related to the issue that kept him out of the playoff game.

At the time, Burton said he felt he let the team down by not playing, but there was no pushing through it, saying his groin locked up and he simply couldn’t play.

That the injury is still affecting him now shows that it was a major issue, but Nagy said he expects to have Burton back on the field when training camp opens in two months.

‘Back in the day...’ I’d get what they’d call burners from weight training while playing football.  Most of the time it was while we were doing squats or deadlifts.  Burners were close calls of hernias.  I don’t think I ever really had a true hernia but there were a few guys that did.  Don’t really recall how they were treated back then.  More recently my brother in law, who is an avid weight lifter (and played hockey) has had a few hernia operations.  It doesn’t seem to have slowed him a lot.  He and I are both in our 50s now so really that isn’t a good measure to what Burton is experiencing.

The point of all this rambling is although painful, hernias are pretty easy to fix these days (think they use some sort of mesh stuff) but I think it’s more on the individual to recover and manage.  Seems odd that Burton is still having issues all these months later.  I do remember him saying before that his body “locks up” during certain medial situations.  I’d be curious how many more times he may lock up going forward. And with this issue still bugging him, how much longer he’ll be able to contribute full time.  

Will be interesting to watch develop.  I like Burton personally. Hope he’s able to come back 100% all the time.  

Not in anyway equating my two hernia surgeries to what Burton has gone thru.  And I'm sure Im not the only one here who has been thru this.  Can't even think about the forces that are required in any pro sports.  Just very painful for the six months before and more than two month after I had my 2nd surgery as a mailman lifting twisting.  Playing a sport that requires such torque and strength.  Not happening. 

13 hours ago, Bill said:

Not in anyway equating my two hernia surgeries to what Burton has gone thru.  And I'm sure Im not the only one here who has been thru this.  Can't even think about the forces that are required in any pro sports.  Just very painful for the six months before and more than two month after I had my 2nd surgery as a mailman lifting twisting.  Playing a sport that requires such torque and strength.  Not happening. 

Agreed. If he had surgery I'd think he'd be ready to go for TC.

This simply concerns me about his reliability.  He wasn't leaned on all that much in Philly, and we he was by us, he got hurt.  This season seems to be integral for him.  Perform and stay healthy and he could stick around.  Otherwise, we have have to hope for more out of Shaheen and hope that Dax Raymond can surprise.

19 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think this is a BS story.  Hernias are easy to diagnose, treat and explain.  The fact that a spin is coming out 5 months later is confusing.

If they were trying to cover him not playing in the playoff game, they would have to just not mention it going forward. They didnt need to say anything, no reason to make a story out of it.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If they were trying to cover him not playing in the playoff game, they would have to just not mention it going forward. They didnt need to say anything, no reason to make a story out of it.

It's only a story because a reporter asked Nagy where Burton was during the OTAs.   That was clear during Nagy's press conference on Wed so it's not on the Bears for making this a big issue.  Reporters are covering it heavily since so many fans (and media) thought Burton was faking his injury, or was too mentally weak to compete while injured.    

Could be BS.  But the human body is not a machine.  Things happen that sometimes don't make sense and screw everything up.  It's not always just cut and dry.  Hernia surgery can be just a pain the the ass.  err groin. Its not just a cut and dry operation.  Thats why they make you sign a release.  Don't have any idea what the truth is.  Just know that I've had so called routine surgeries that ended up costing me almost a year of my life and years later still effecting my life.  Things can go really wrong.

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

It's only a story because a reporter asked Nagy where Burton was during the OTAs.   That was clear during Nagy's press conference on Wed so it's not on the Bears for making this a big issue.  Reporters are covering it heavily since so many fans (and media) thought Burton was faking his injury, or was too mentally weak to compete while injured.    

Why wouldn’t it be mentioned what the injury was during the playoff game? Why all the ‘cloak and dagger’?  And here we are all these months later... 

On 5/31/2019 at 12:41 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Why wouldn’t it be mentioned what the injury was during the playoff game? Why all the ‘cloak and dagger’?  And here we are all these months later... 

I thought they did announce it? However, I believe it was some sort of accident, or not something football related, that's why it looked questionable.

Either way, as long as he is 100% for Week 1, I don't really care about this anymore. It could've been a lingering issue that he was keeping away from the team.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:41 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

There wasnt any cloak and dagger, he had the injury during our playoff week, it was not the focus of activity at the time. Reporters made a big deal out of it, not the Bears. He was asked about it, and it is the only reason Nagy brought it up, otherwise it is just normal business going on this time of year. No matter how many questions a person has about it, I think Nagy and Pace are transparent and its only a question is suspicious peoples minds. 

16 hours ago, adam said:

I thought they did announce it? However, I believe it was some sort of accident, or not something football related, that's why it looked questionable.

Either way, as long as he is 100% for Week 1, I don't really care about this anymore. It could've been a lingering issue that he was keeping away from the team.

I remember that Burton had a little tweak in practice.  Later it was announced that he was out and it was a surprise to the staff. (Sort of staying that his body locked up) Also some anxiety was talked about and that it happened in Philly as well.

18 hours ago, adam said:

Also possible he has just tried to power through it hoping it will go away on it’s own. I know I tend to do that, while my wife starts saying I should see the doctor and I try the Monty python approach “I think I’m getting better.”  lol  Anyway this seems to be a recurring issue that he’s just tried to live with/deal with. Hopefully getting the surgery done takes care of the problem and he can help the Bears win games. If he can’t stay healthy and can’t be dependable the Bears will have to look at other options. It sucks that we’ struggled to find long term consistency at the TE spot. We can find talented guy who can’t stay healthy or we find guys who can but are duds on the field. 

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I remember that Burton had a little tweak in practice.  Later it was announced that he was out and it was a surprise to the staff. (Sort of staying that his body locked up) Also some anxiety was talked about and that it happened in Philly as well.

Most of us weekend warriors have had that happen where the day of the injury it doesn't feel like much and the next day the muscle is tightened up and you can barely move.  As Bearfan2000 said via Monty Python: "it's just a scratch, I'll be alright."  

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

There wasnt any cloak and dagger, he had the injury during our playoff week, it was not the focus of activity at the time. Reporters made a big deal out of it, not the Bears. He was asked about it, and it is the only reason Nagy brought it up, otherwise it is just normal business going on this time of year. No matter how many questions a person has about it, I think Nagy and Pace are transparent and its only a question is suspicious peoples minds. 

The simple question is and should have been at the time; why couldn’t they tell ‘us’ then that had a hernia injury. Why wait until now? Then link the two together? I don’t get the strategy in not saying anything about it.  

Does it matter in the long run?  Maybe not.  It’s just peculiar to have waited all this time.  

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Most of us weekend warriors have had that happen where the day of the injury it doesn't feel like much and the next day the muscle is tightened up and you can barely move.  As Bearfan2000 said via Monty Python: "it's just a scratch, I'll be alright."  

Twas mearly a flesh wound!

Edited by Mongo3451
Sp

On 6/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The simple question is and should have been at the time; why couldn’t they tell ‘us’ then that had a hernia injury. Why wait until now? Then link the two together? I don’t get the strategy in not saying anything about it.  

Does it matter in the long run?  Maybe not.  It’s just peculiar to have waited all this time.  

Do you really want to tell your opponent that a main part of your offensive strategy for the game is going to be out, or leave it up in the air? I would be criticizing them for telling them before the game. Making the defense at the start of game to make adjustments would seem to be a little smarter, or just be honest and put us at a disadvantage? You made it clear what your choice would be. 

31195520_3258855844137277_6943300446384411710_n.jpg