Pagano's Defense

AZ54

When we hired Pagano the rumors were that he would be more aggressive calling defensive plays than Fangio was.   At first Pagano insinuated he'd be the one learning the Fangio terminology and by default it sounded  as if he wasn't going to change things much.  In the OTAs we've already heard Nagy talking about the different coverages they are seeing and players have talked about differences they have to learn, albeit generically so nobody gives away any secrets for week 1.  In this video of Trevathan mic'd up around the 1:10 mark you will see Trevathan, Floyd, and Skrine rushing off the left edge at the same time and keeps RRH and Hicks on the other side.   I don't recall seeing that kind of blitz from Fangio.   He might send the NB or, less often, the ILB.  Changes are coming.     

I was thinking about this recently and had heard some time ago about some nuances we might see between Fangio and Pagano.  One specific difference were the frequency and type of rushes.  Fangio was never known to be a heavy blitzer.  A lot of his ‘front seven’ success was predicated by the skill of the players.  Mack, Hicks and Floyd all were able to individually feed off one another’s success primarily through their raw pass rushing skills.  Occasionally Fangio would pepper in a blitz or two to throw things off.  It sounds as though Pagano likes to blitz more and ad some tweaks especially with his interior linemen and backers.  Think Nagy but more defensive minded when it comes to creativity.  

In the article below it goes into a little more detail about these diffences.  One that I found intriguing is how Pagano expects more pass coverage by his interior linebackers.  That could be a problem for Trevathan and something worth watching. For Smith it’s more in his wheelhouse due to his ‘lateral speed’ and pass coverage ability we saw in the highlights from college and a few times last year so that will be fun to watch.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/12/changes-chicago-bears-defense-chuck-pagano-colts-vic-fangio/

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

The difference between the two can be explained through science.  One is Einstein, the other is Jekyll.  Pagano has been described as a madman by his former players. (in a respectful and complementary way)

Which I like ... personally speaking.   I want to say the more successful defenses the Ravens had were when Pagano was there.