New OT T.J. Clemmings

AZ54

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2019/5/31/18647431/bears-t-j-clemmings-sign-vikings-free-agent

I liked him years ago in the draft.  I think he was a mid-round prospect.  Obviously he's never put it all together and I have low expectations for him here but at least we have someone with more experience than Coward on board just in case.  Remember Sowell is now a TE.   

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The more darts we have to throw at the board, the better chance we have at improving our depth.

Yeah, not much more than a dart.   But it means the job won't be handed to Coward so he needs to earn it.  

I remember hoping the Bears would draft him.  He was raw coming out. Maybe HH can flip him into a commodity.  

From Walter Football:

Summary: Early in the draft process, some prominent TV draft analysts projected Clemmings to be the top offensive tackle in the 2015 NFL Draft. In speaking with NFL teams, they never had Clemmings rated that high and view him much differently. They like Clemmings, but feel he is more of a developmental project. 

The need for Clemmings' development is understandable as 2014 was only his second season playing on the offensive line. Clemmings was a defensive end to start out his collegiate career and moved to right tackle as a junior. Clemmings started 13 games at right tackle in 2013. Clemmings played well in 2014 for Pittsburgh. He is a good athlete who can be a force as a run-blocker. Clemmings needs to improve his technique in pass protection as he can be slow to react to speed rushers. 

That issue became very apparent at the Senior Bowl when Clemmings really struggled in practice during the pass-rushing one-on-ones. Speed rushers were running by him, and that seemed to cause him to snowball and struggle in pass blocking against bull rushers he normally stops. In the ground game though, Clemmings blocked well and opened up holes. 

Entering the NFL, Clemmings strength is his run blocking. He can bulldoze defensive linemen out of their gap and open holes in the ground game. He shows real power to ride them down the field and sustain his blocks through the whistle. Clemmings also is a good athlete with quickness. That's were the left tackle projections come from, but he needs a lot of work before being ready for that. Clemmings is a good run-blocker, but needs a lot of work in pass protection. 

Some have talked about moving Clemmings to left tackle, but he should develop on the right side first. General managers with two teams told WalterFootball.com they graded Clemmings as a third-round pick, but believe a team that likes him enough to draft him would do it in Round 2. Another general manager said they have a second-day grade on Clemmings, while yet another GM said they have a fourth-round grade on Clemmings. On average, sources feel that Clemmings should develop as a guard or right tackle. 

In the 2015 NFL Draft, Clemmings looks most likely to be a second- or third-round pick. 

Because HH is here now, I always wonder if he thinks a player is worth obtaining because he can coach him. He is athletic and has good size, so maybe some teams arent good at development, like we use to be. I always wonder about how the Saints and Patriots had Akeim Hicks on their rosters and didnt find it a good idea to develop him. I want to thank them for being Bear like at the time.