Brandt - Projecting Top 5 Rookie RBs

AZ54

Guess who is #1?  Some of this is situational of course and so landing on a good team helps.  Plus, in this past draft there really wasn't an elite RB talent.  IMO there isn't a whole lot of difference between Montgomery and Jacobs, except for draft value.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001033290/article/2019-nfl-season-projecting-the-top-five-rookie-running-backs

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think the big difference between the two RBs is Nagy, he will put Montgomery in a better chance to succeed and our offense will have more offensive plays this year.

and the OL :)

He is in a nearly perfect situation. His only possible drawback is Davis flourishes and takes snaps away.  If that is the case, Run DMC will be a hit and the Bears offense will be a high powered threat meaning a long playoff run can happen.  If we get that, I do not think fans or Montegomery would care about not being the top rookie RB.  Even at 800 yds rushing, I think that is a success. 

Last year as we looked at our RBS  what had a solid RB in Howard, a specialty RB in Cohen, and Cunningham and Mizzell. This year we have Montgomery and Davis that could both be very good. Cohen has his niche in the offense, but will never be the 250 carry guy. I wish them all to have success. Probably 300 carries to distribute for the two and who ever leads doesnt really matter to me. PLUS they throw in Patterson and Whyte for some specialty plays and we have the bomb with our running game this year.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Last year as we looked at our RBS  what had a solid RB in Howard, a specialty RB in Cohen, and Cunningham and Mizzell. This year we have Montgomery and Davis that could both be very good. Cohen has his niche in the offense, but will never be the 250 carry guy. I wish them all to have success. Probably 300 carries to distribute for the two and who ever leads doesnt really matter to me. PLUS they throw in Patterson and Whyte for some specialty plays and we have the bomb with our running game this year.

I'm not nearly that high on Davis.   I think he'll always be, at best, a 3rd RB for us, maybe fill in as a spot starter.  His versatility might make him standout in our eyes early on but remember that he's being compared to Cunningham and Mizzell.  I kind of hope this is a 1 year deal and he's replaced by a rookie or a much cheaper vet next year.  That would mean Montgomery has a stranglehold on the starters job and we save $3mil in cap space minus new salary.  

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm not nearly that high on Davis.   I think he'll always be, at best, a 3rd RB for us, maybe fill in as a spot starter.  His versatility might make him standout in our eyes early on but remember that he's being compared to Cunningham and Mizzell.  I kind of hope this is a 1 year deal and he's replaced by a rookie or a much cheaper vet next year.  That would mean Montgomery has a stranglehold on the starters job and we save $3mil in cap space minus new salary.  

I believe Montegomery was brought in to be the guy, but also know he will be worked into that role and not have it handed over.  Davis was also brought in to have a role and could grasp early playing time as Montegomery gets accumulated.  This offense is known to put up great RB numbers.  KC has had Jamal Charles, Spencer Ware, Kniles Davis, Chandrick West and Kareem Hunt who all shined when given the chance.  I only hope the group we have now can start putting up similiar numbers. Looking at KCs RBs helps me realize how Howard didn't fit, no disrespect because a monster truck racing a nascar on a nascar track isn't a fair comparison.  Put the nascar on a hilly truck track and the results are different.  

So I think Davis will shine early on then once Montegomery takes his place he will move to the 3rd option.  Hopefully Davis puts up huge numbers and gets interest from other clubs so we can have the option to trade him.  This cutting players has to stop, we need to keep them until FAs if we ever want to get compensation.   

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think Davis is better than Mizzell and Cunningham.  He filled in well when he needed to in Seattle.  He wasn't brought in to be the long term solution but to give us good vet depth at the position while Montgomery gets up to speed in the offense.  With Howard being gone Cohen is the vet in the backfield and it's nice to have a guy like Davis there when you bring in Montgomery and Whyte as rookies.  I see us starting the season with a RB committee initially headed by Davis or even a more close split between Davis, Montgomery, and Cohen.  From there I can see Montgomery at some point taking over the lead role.  He's got the talent and is in a great situation to become the lead back.  

When I think of what Gruden might do with Josh Jacobs might be similar to his best WCO back Charlie Garner from past Raider teams who one year had 90 plus catches. I won't sleep on Jacobs in that regard but, feel Montgomery might be in a slightly better situation because of the talent surrounding him that have been in this system for a year already.