Floyd - Bigger, Stronger

AZ54

Find a long term deal with Floyd now.  The quote below is from Trevathan who usually doesn't give that kind of detailed praise.  The article has more good info on how Floyd is developing at the guidance of our new OLB coach Monachino.  

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-spt-bears-leonard-floyd-breakout-season-biggs-20190617-story.html

“I don’t know many linemen you got, but you better put some more on there because he’s been putting his best foot forward,” Trevathan said. “He’s been working his tail off and he’s been learning this defense in and out. I’ve been seeing him be more explosive, putting on a little more weight, a lot stronger, a lot more fundamentally sound and he appreciates each day and he’s getting the most out of it.

We have him for 2 more seasons since we picked up his 5th year option.   He hasn't produced at a high level but he's versatile and I still view him as nice chess piece to have on the field.  That's especially true given the likelihood of Pagano's blitzing schemes.  I think the most likely outcome is that we keep him for 2 more seasons and let him go in FA. 

If I were Floyd I wouldn't sign an extension now either.  He just needs one season with 10+ sacks and he'll be a highly sought after FA.  With our Dline he's got a as good a chance as he'll ever have to make that happen.   Call it the Amos effect.  

I went back and watched all the games in a condensed version and the second half of the season he was very noticeable. I think going into the season healthy, he makes a big splash. I think with Pagano  they will be more aggressive. Last year with Mack getting most of the rush calls, he was used in coverage more than normal. I think this year, we see him sent more. I think Macks improves his sack total being here for the whole year and Floyd getting 8-10 which would be fine going forward. Also I see R. Smith grabbing more than 5 with his speed and another year of experience. I can see us leading the league in sacks barring injuries. Last year we were 3rd while KC and Pitt led the league with 52. I can see KC sliding since they lost several sackers. Pitt should still be there as a contender. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I went back and watched all the games in a condensed version and the second half of the season he was very noticeable. I think going into the season healthy, he makes a big splash. I think with Pagano  they will be more aggressive. Last year with Mack getting most of the rush calls, he was used in coverage more than normal. I think this year, we see him sent more. I think Macks improves his sack total being here for the whole year and Floyd getting 8-10 which would be fine going forward. Also I see R. Smith grabbing more than 5 with his speed and another year of experience. I can see us leading the league in sacks barring injuries. Last year we were 3rd while KC and Pitt led the league with 52. I can see KC sliding since they lost several sackers. Pitt should still be there as a contender. 

KC only led in sacks for one reason and that was because teams were so far behind they had to pass starting in the 2nd quarter.  Even then their D was still horrible.  At this point they've gone the Indy-route and are all-in on offense and the D will be held together with glue and staples.  

"KC only led in sacks for one reason and that was because teams were so far behind they had to pass starting in the 2nd quarter"   What he said.

I have never had faith in Andy Reid teams for the same reason I never had faith in Lovie Smith teams.  They excelled in one area only.  Mahomes is a rare talent but you still need a balanced team to win it all.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:07 PM, BearFan NYC said:

Wouldnt it be great if Floyd breaks out and becomes a dominant pass rusher this season? That'd be huge with Mack on the other side.

If he doesn't have a huge year, or even if he does, it will tough to pay 2x Edge rusher over $40M a year (once Mack's $26M per year kicks in), which is what they will pay for Floyd's 5th year option next year. He could even be a trade candidate. I hope he excels as that would be a good problem to have after a SB victory.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I have no idea if this is just speculation or if he did a bit of research into how players were looking during OTAs.  Regardless, Willie McGinest lists Floyd as one of 4 breakout pass rushers this year.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034348/article/leonard-floyd-among-young-pass-rushers-set-to-break-out-in-19

Everything points to him having a great year, so if he doesn't, he would be a prime candidate for a change in scenery trade.