Fox’s take on Bears offseason

Alaskan Grizzly

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

He only made himself look like more of an idiot.  

for sure.

Funny he says we don't have a kicker. We kicked HIM out pretty good...

Seriously, I was a Fox defender. I said we were VERY lucky to get him to take the locker room from where it was to a place where a real coach would take over. (Thank you Pace!!)

But no more. He's dead to me. What an idiot.

ANd Im not gonna spend time hating him, he's already in the past.

LETS GO BEARS.

I don't get all the Fox hate on this.  He did us a favor with a spot on critique of our kicking game, in that it's a huge question mark.  It will only galvanize the team more coming from a coach that was popular with the locker room.  Do I agree we had the worst off-season?  Hell no.  Fox truly doesn't either if he's sane.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't get all the Fox hate on this.  He did us a favor with a spot on critique of our kicking game, in that it's a huge question mark.  It will only galvanize the team more coming from a coach that was popular with the locker room.  Do I agree we had the worst off-season?  Hell no.  Fox truly doesn't either if he's sane.

I think if you combine the ‘circus’ perspective from other than Bears fans on how the kicking battle is going, his recent departure from the Bears and his overall being bummed he couldn’t get the Bears where he wanted to; it was easy pickins’ for him.  I do think losing Fangio could prove hard to get over but the players remain and really Pagano is no slouch.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think if you combine the ‘circus’ perspective from other than Bears fans on how the kicking battle is going, his recent departure from the Bears and his overall being bummed he couldn’t get the Bears where he wanted to; it was easy pickins’ for him.  I do think losing Fangio could prove hard to get over but the players remain and really Pagano is no slouch.  

+1

I liked the hiring of Fox at the time and I still have no regrets.  I look at him the way I felt about Denny Green when he was hired in AZ (there's your way back machine in the offseason).  He's a guy that will help bring in the right talent but ultimately he won't be able to get the most out of it.  For a young GM who was still finding his way early on Fox was not a bad person to have around Halas Hall and he did bring in some very good coaches.  I think all of that helped steady Pace early on.   His first draft didn't reflect it but then everyone was new at Halas Hall and he was working with the old scouting department.  A year later you started to see the vision of who he (we) wanted on the roster. 

We used Fox for a few years to help build the foundation then we went out to get our guy to get us into the Superbowl.   Think Doug Collins....Phil Jackson.  

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:17 AM, AZ54 said:

I liked the hiring of Fox at the time and I still have no regrets.  I look at him the way I felt about Denny Green when he was hired in AZ (there's your way back machine in the offseason).  He's a guy that will help bring in the right talent but ultimately he won't be able to get the most out of it.  For a young GM who was still finding his way early on Fox was not a bad person to have around Halas Hall and he did bring in some very good coaches.  I think all of that helped steady Pace early on.   His first draft didn't reflect it but then everyone was new at Halas Hall and he was working with the old scouting department.  A year later you started to see the vision of who he (we) wanted on the roster. 

We used Fox for a few years to help build the foundation then we went out to get our guy to get us into the Superbowl.   Think Doug Collins....Phil Jackson.  

I right there with you AZ54! Also I want to parallel losing Fangio to losing Buddy Ryan in 86' The difference is that Fangio has never coached a SB winning defense. Pagano's defense with the Colts featured Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney wrecking havoc in the backfield in an attacking style.When Tobin took over for Buddy Ryan he went more to a read and react and actually tried to introduce some zone blitzing elements in his scheme. This year may be more on the attack than last year.

6 hours ago, lemonej said:

Pagano’s defense with the Colts featured Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney wrecking havoc in the backfield in an attacking style.When Tobin took over for Buddy Ryan he went more to a read and react and actually tried to introduce some zone blitzing elements in his scheme. This year may be more on the attack than last year.

In a quick snoop of Paganos Wikipedia page it looks as though his specialty is with pass defense.   Some may have remembered the success of Butch Davis while HC at Univ. of Miami.  Pagano was his DC.  They ranked near the top in most defensive categories.  The trend continued when he moved to the NFL and assisted or DCed for Cleveland, the Raiders and eventually Baltimore.  It’s noted while with the Ravens, Pagano dramatically improved the pass defense after years of the team dominating the run defense.  

The way I see it, Fangio was not as well known for his blitz packages and generally likes his corners to be aggressive and big. It didn’t seem his forte was as much with the defensive backfield; he’s more a ‘front seven’ guy . I think with the returning 10 of 11 defensive players paired with essentially the similar scheme, and Pagano’s tendency to blitz more, we’re in for some fun times.  Being a defense fan-guy myself, I’m pretty geeked about it.