Eyes on Training Camp

AZ54

With 3 days remaining until the rookies report here's who I'm focused on this year in camp/preseason.   It's a rare year with little battles to look forward to for starting jobs.  So it's about the depth and future of the roster for me.  

I want to see Tolliver really ascend and demonstrate confidence to take over one of the outside CB slots next year.  Likely cut Prince saves $8mil in cap space in 2020.

Stephen Denmark...is he the real deal or just a paper tiger?  Can he replace McManis as our special teams ace this year?   Not sure that will happen but if he can become an NFL player next year should be likely.  The fact McManis is switching to safety indicates his time here is coming to a close. 

WR battles for #4/5/ and do we keep 6.   Who ya got?  We know Patterson is guaranteed a spot and Ridley is virtually guaranteed a slot on the 53.  For the last spot (or two) is it Wims, EHall, or MHall?    IMO this has big implications for what happens next year with potential cuts, or contract restructuring, to save cap space.  If Wims stands out could he replace ARobinson in 2020?  Or EHall could he replace Gabriel in 2020?  

OG depth battle.  Kyle Long will be here for sure this year.  Next year is a bit of question mark.  How good is Alex Bars?   Rashaad Coward at OT?  

Interesting training camp battle:   Can Bradley Sowell beat out Shaheen for the starting TE role?   This doesn't seem likely but Shaheen hasn't impressed so far in his career even when healthy.  Sowell has little track record as a TE but he basically lined up there all last year when he was over 300lbs.      

--------------------- 

One other thought:  I don't think we'll see much of our pass catching RBs in the preseason.   Running yes but there's no need to open your presents early when we play the Packers in week 1.  

I think if Kyle Long can stay healthy, our OL moves to top 5 instead of top 11 as rated now.

I am very curious how good Duke Shelly plays, I think he may be our 4th best CB and gets a lot of playing time, no matter what spot they play him.

As much as I think Javon Wims is going to take a step up, 2 rookies may beat him out for the 6th spot. Ridley and Hall.

Very curious how much Adam Shaheen takes a step.

16 hours ago, AZ54 said:

One other thought:  I don't think we'll see much of our pass catching RBs in the preseason.   Running yes but there's no need to open your presents early when we play the Packers in week 1.  

I'm thinking we'll actually see less of Cohen this season.  Keep him fresh for explosive plays...

maybe not in terms of making the roster, but in terms of touches, the fight to watch is Gabriel vs Patterson.

Honestly, Gabriel's roles in the offense are under threat from all sides. From Miller playing a taller #2, to Patterson exceling at the Jet Sweep, even from Ridley in a way.

Gabriel will have to hang tough in camp and really raise his game. That WR room is very crowded with talent!

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think if Kyle Long can stay healthy, our OL moves to top 5 instead of top 11 as rated now.

I am very curious how good Duke Shelly plays, I think he may be our 4th best CB and gets a lot of playing time, no matter what spot they play him.

As much as I think Javon Wims is going to take a step up, 2 rookies may beat him out for the 6th spot. Ridley and Hall.

Very curious how much Adam Shaheen takes a step.

I think Mitch had quite a bit to do with that top 11 ranking.  

Clinton-Dix was officially put onto the PUP list just prior to the full start of camp.  Could it be a problem going forward?  Word is “minor knee strain”.  I couldn’t really find anything on his injury history but gotta think this could be a lingering issue.  

Would this maybe be why they are looking at McManis at Safety?  There are DHC, Bush and the recently drafted Denmark on the list as potential fill-ins but the author to this article makes an interesting case for looking at current FA Safety Eric Berry.  Can’t say I’d be on board with that but maybe he’s got enough left to fill in for a bit? 

https://dawindycity.com/2019/07/22/chicago-bears-implications-clinton-dix-injury/

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Clinton-Dix was officially put onto the PUP list just prior to the full start of camp.  Could it be a problem going forward?  Word is “minor knee strain”.  I couldn’t really find anything on his injury history but gotta think this could be a lingering issue.  

Would this maybe be why they are looking at McManis at Safety?  There are DHC, Bush and the recently drafted Denmark on the list as potential fill-ins but the author to this article makes an interesting case for looking at current FA Safety Eric Berry.  Can’t say I’d be on board with that but maybe he’s got enough left to fill in for a bit? 

https://dawindycity.com/2019/07/22/chicago-bears-implications-clinton-dix-injury/

It could be a problem going forward but to be honest it doesn't sound too serious, at least when I watched Pace and Nagy discuss it.  Eric Berry....oft injured and doesn't fit the roster IMO unless he came here on a really low dollar contract.  I just don't see that happening with a player who isn't too far removed from being the highest paid safety in the NFL or he'd already be signed somewhere.  

Moving McManis to Safety IMO has more to do with him slowing down while our CB depth is building up, than it does with HHCD injury/need.   It was obvious when McManis filled in at NB that he just doesn't have the quickness to keep up with WRs.  He was still able to make some plays but if he didn't have elite pass rush helping him out he'd have been exposed more often.  He could survive better on the outside but Tolliver was a clear choice ahead of McManis there and that won't change this year.  Now we have Duke and Buster on board at NB so safety is his best shot at making the team.  At worst if he makes the team as the special teams ace he has learned the safety role and still knows CB so he'd be good depth at the bottom of the roster.  

I still view Denmark as a real threat to McManis' job.  He won't be ready to play at any DB position this year but special teams is where he can clearly earn a spot on the 53.  One of those few battles to keep an eye on in the 2nd half of preseason games.  

Out of curiosity, was looking at some pics of training camp and couldn’t help notice Trevathan missing.  Any insider word?  Maybe just a day absence?  What made it even more obvious was Smith was wearing the ‘green dot’ on his helmet indicating at he very least he may be taking on more responsibilities this year. 

I've been reading updates and haven't heard a single mention of Trevathan.   What I have heard is they were mixing in Iggy and Kevin Pierre-Louis or Josh Woods with the 2nd team.   There may be some competition for Kwiatkoski, not that he looked bad.  

Mack is just running free on all sorts of plays.  Either really bad for our OTs or he's even lighter on his feet this year.  There were lots of slot CB blitzes shown as expected, even with Hicks dropping into some type of coverage (turnstyle best describes it) on one play.  Pagano is definitely going to mix things up and offense's won't have the comfort of the predictable nature of Fangio's play calls.  

Duke Shelley continues to standout according to many sources but tackling was his biggest weakness in college and we've yet to put on the pads.  

Trubisky, based on short videos on Twitter and from multiple sources, looks much more comfortable in the pocket.  Even with Mack and others coming free often he's making quick reads, stepping up in the pocket, and throwing accurately.  It seems like the good news out of the OTAs has continued for him.   

I was surprised to hear Ian Bunting was getting time with the 2nd team ahead of Dax Raymond. 

In terms of his quickness multiple people said Montgomery clearly stands out.   Let's see what tomorrow brings when the pads come on.     

Wims apparently was playing very well today.  He's making the most of Ridley's absence.   

It's early but I've heard a few positive things about Kyle Long looking like the old Kyle Long.  That includes Tom Thayer who is around Halas Hall all offseason and sees how the guys are working out.   I look forward to seeing how well he's moving in the preseason games. 

Ryan Nall is also standing out, looking more nimble this year.  The battle for the last roster spots will be very interesting.  

Looks like Ives will be this years training camp fan favorite at WR.   

Yeah Trevathan was in for day 2 and 3 of practice.  Saw him interview and doing autographs in some vids (by the by, he seems to have a good vibe with the fans; likes to do what he can to acknowledge them).  Maybe he was just a day one absentee?  

FWIW I’m still hoping Wims is the breakout player this year . Along with Ridley and Nall.  Almost forgot about Nall but saw that he was making some people notice him out there.

And how bout them kickers?  Both seem to be holding their own and from the looks of it, we should be alright with whomever wins the battle. 

The most underrated off-season addition may well be the kicking coach.  Robbie Gould came out of the same UDFA camp kickers    Perhaps we are starting to see the results of his work with these two young kickers.  

‘Shaheen misses second day of practice with a back injury.’ Gonna go out on a limb and say Adam ‘Balsa Wood’ Shaheen’s days as an illustrious Bears TE are numbered.  At this point it may not be a bad idea to see how Zach Miller is doing with his rehab and call him back from retirement.  At least the guy had heart.

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/07/29/chicago-bears-notes-te-adam-shaheen-misses-second-consecutive-day-with-sore-back/almpec2/

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Nall has a up hill battle,  Whytte has speed and if you keep the last spot , speed could rule that position. Several people have mentioned Whytte speed. (dont know if I am spelling that right.

I think it's the other way around.  Whyte has to learn a complex offense and he does not have the best hands.  He can return kicks which is a plus but who will be better on kick coverage?   I'd say if we start seeing Nall do a bit of FB, or even some H-Back work in place of Burton, then signs are moving in his direction.  

Standouts to this point have been Wims (a lock to make the roster at this point), Nichols, and Smith from the number of mentions. Everyone also keeps talking about how much different Montgomery is than Howard (in terms of explosive moves). Obviously, Mack, EJack, and Hicks are all locked in. 

I am actually enjoying hearing about the Kicker battle. Both hit from 60+ in recent days. I feel like Piniero has the edge with the leg strength as long as he can gain some consistency.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I am actually enjoying hearing about the Kicker battle. Both hit from 60+ in recent days. I feel like Piniero has the edge with the leg strength as long as he can gain some consistency.

I had us taking Piniero with our 7th rounder in 2018 draft. Instead we took... Javon Wims! Now we have both. Go Bears.

26 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Wims keeps it up he could get to #3.  Robinson, Miller, and Wims would be nice. Gabriel and Patterson for speed.  Ridley and the Halls compete for the final 2.  We might get lucky and be able to stash the UDFA Hall on the PS 

that assumes we keep 7 WRs, which is unlikely.

I wouldnt be shocked to see us trade a WR as injuries happen in preseason. I mean unless we have injuries ourselves at WR.

6 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

that assumes we keep 7 WRs, which is unlikely.

I wouldnt be shocked to see us trade a WR as injuries happen in preseason. I mean unless we have injuries ourselves at WR.

That depends how we classify Patterson.    Does he get the typical one spot reserved for special teams?   Does McManis earn a spot at Safety?   Are we keeping a FB this year?   Technically no but who fills that spot on the 53?  Nall, Patterson, McManis, Coward (we kept an extra olineman last year).   Lots of possibilities at the bottom of the roster.  

On 7/30/2019 at 12:14 AM, AZ54 said:

I think it's the other way around.  Whyte has to learn a complex offense and he does not have the best hands.  He can return kicks which is a plus but who will be better on kick coverage?   I'd say if we start seeing Nall do a bit of FB, or even some H-Back work in place of Burton, then signs are moving in his direction.  

I read where Whyte has more use on STs as a gunner on kickoffs and punts. They talked about Nall having less of a role on STs. I could see them using him on a limited role in the offense this year and on everything on STs. I like Nall but they have 2 full down backs, I can see where speed wins out as far as the 4th RB.

14 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That depends how we classify Patterson.    Does he get the typical one spot reserved for special teams?   Does McManis earn a spot at Safety?   Are we keeping a FB this year?   Technically no but who fills that spot on the 53?  Nall, Patterson, McManis, Coward (we kept an extra olineman last year).   Lots of possibilities at the bottom of the roster.  

We no longer have any FBs on the team anymore, we did not resign (dont remember his name) this year. I think we keep 6 WRs 4 RBs, and 4 TEs. Patterson would be listed as a KR unless Ridley doesnt make the 53 roster.