Andrew Luck retiring

adam

We heard people talking about it at the game and my first thought was this is a joke.  Then I googled it.  How crazy!  Wasn’t that long ago he expressed confidence he’d be ready for week 1. Good guy, loads of talent just horrible luck wit injuries. No pun intended. I feel bad for Colts fans. That has to suck going from a top tier QB to Brisett 2 weeks before the start of the reg season and now the have to scramble to find a starter. 

21 years with Manning and Luck at QB and the Colts won 1x Super Bowl (against us no less). Interestingly, Manning won another one with the Broncos while the Colts have nothing to show for the Luck era. 

27 years of Favre and Rodgers and the Fudge Packers only won 2. 

Crazy to think about how many wasted seasons these two franchises had with those QBs. 34 playoff berths between those two teams with those QB's (in 48 seasons) and only 3 Super Bowl wins.

1. Manning 11/14 (rookie year, and 1 year to injury)
2. Rodgers - 8/11 (1 year due to injury)
3. Favre - 11/16
4. Luck - 4/7 (1 year due to injury)

Rodgers only needs to be sacked 27 more times to become #1 on the GB Franchise Record Books. I figure he will reach that by mid-season after Week 1 :)

4 hours ago, CrackerDog said:

My Colts fan buddy is crushed.  The shock and lateness in the preseason, wow. They were ranked high this year but I doubt they’ll get anywhere now.  Sad to see it end like this for a potential HOF player.  He won’t even be considered now IMO.  

No way will he be considered, and yeah, this would be devastating news. I just don't think they will be as bad as they were when they got Luck. This team is much better and will probably still win 5-6 games. Winners in this? The rest of the AFC South. Texans and Jags now have an easier path to playoffs.

it is sad.  Indy could have done a better job protecting him.  He took a heck of a beating when he was playing.  I agree this team is now in better shape than it was when Manning got hurt and they rolled out Curtis Painter and the suck for Luck tour was on.  With a healthy Luck they were set to challenge in the AFC.  Now they will be a middle of the road.  I agree with Adam I still see them winning 5-6 game possibly even finishing 500.  Which we know what that's like and the struggle of trying to win vs draft position.  Playoffs are no longer a realistic goal.  The AFC South has gotten tougher.    The timing of the story breaking didn't help either to have it come out during a Colts/Bears preseason game I'm sure made it harder on the fan base.  Still didn't make it right for fans to boo him at the presser.  Not very classy.  It sucks for sure as a fan base but from Luck's position you can understand his choice to maintain a quality of life.  I'm sure it was an incredibly tough decision but he had to do what was best for him.  And he may have even had some urging by his doctors to consider retirement.  Just a tough one all around.   On a selfish note though I'm glad neither of my fantasy leagues have drafted yet, I was targeting both Luck and Hilton, and even Mack.  

8 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

it is sad.  Indy could have done a better job protecting him.  He took a heck of a beating when he was playing.  I agree this team is now in better shape than it was when Manning got hurt and they rolled out Curtis Painter and the suck for Luck tour was on.  With a healthy Luck they were set to challenge in the AFC.  Now they will be a middle of the road.  I agree with Adam I still see them winning 5-6 game possibly even finishing 500.  Which we know what that's like and the struggle of trying to win vs draft position.  Playoffs are no longer a realistic goal.  The AFC South has gotten tougher.    The timing of the story breaking didn't help either to have it come out during a Colts/Bears preseason game I'm sure made it harder on the fan base.  Still didn't make it right for fans to boo him at the presser.  Not very classy.  It sucks for sure as a fan base but from Luck's position you can understand his choice to maintain a quality of life.  I'm sure it was an incredibly tough decision but he had to do what was best for him.  And he may have even had some urging by his doctors to consider retirement.  Just a tough one all around.   On a selfish note though I'm glad neither of my fantasy leagues have drafted yet, I was targeting both Luck and Hilton, and even Mack.  

I think Mack is a safer bet now as I assume he will get more touches. Hilton definitely takes a hit though.