Bears Cut List, Getting to 53

adam

The Bears need to cut at least 37 players to get to 53. Here is an updated list I will keep as current as possible throughout the next few days:

Bears’ cut list (24):

QB Tyler Bray
RB Ryan Nall

RB Josh Caldwell
WR Tanner Gentry
WR Marvin Hall
WR Jordan Williams-Lambert
WR Thomas Ives
TE Ian Bunting
TE Jesper Horsted
OL Marquez Tucker
OL Joe Lowery
LS John Wirtel

DE Jonathan Bullard
NT Daryle Banfield
DE Jalen Dalton
DL Jonathan Harris
ILB Jameer Thurman
OLB Matt Betts
OLB Chuck Harris
OLB Kylie Fitts
CB Doyin Jibowu
CB Clifton Duck
CB John Franklin III
CB Stephen Denmark

34 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Hopefully we get a few players to the practice squad; like Duck, Denmark, Bunting, and maybe Franklin. Caldwell RB was released to I believe. 

I think we'll add Jesper Horsted too.  That's two TEs that have some promise for roster depth down the road.  

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

Sometimes picks don't work out.  Good luck to Mr. Bullard. 

Peace

Absolutely, another way to look at it is that our roster is getting so much better top to bottom that we can afford to let a subpar draft pick go. Bullard was penciled in as a borderline starter a few years ago and can't crack the 53 this year. That shows how deep this team really is. 

Hope this is good news for James Vaughters. All he has done is make plays and he can always get bigger. Might be a mini MACK with his knack of finding the ball in the backfield. 

We have to be picking up a TE from someone else if they let everyone else go. I thought Bunting and Horsted both played well so surprised there. 

Yes this roster seems much deeper with quality talent than I can remember having in a long time. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Well so much for the Horsted project and the two Ivy League TEs.   And surprised that Bray was cut; considering how poorly Daniel was playing in the pre-season.  

Not surprised with Daniel over Bray. Daniel came in last year when Biscuit was out and played well. He's a Natty guy and a seasoned vet, so imDo there was no question that he's no 2.  Now, do e use a spot on the PS for Bray????

Here is the 53-man roster:

Quarterback (2) -- Mitchell Trubisky, Chase Daniel

Running back (4) -- David Montgomery, Tarik Cohen, Mike Davis, Kerrith Whyte Jr.

Wide receiver (6) -- Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Anthony Miller, Cordarrelle Patterson, Riley Ridley, Javon Wims

Tight end (4) -- Trey Burton, Adam Shaheen, Ben Braunecker, Bradley Sowell

Offensive line (8) -- Charles Leno Jr., Cody Whitehair, James Daniels, Kyle Long, Bobby Massie, Ted Larsen, Rashaad Coward, Cornellius Lucas

Defensive line (6) -- Akiem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, Bilal Nichols, Roy Robertson-Harris, Nick Williams, Abdullah Anderson

Outside linebacker (4) -- Khalil Mack, Leonard Floyd, Aaron Lynch, Isaiah Irving

Inside Linebacker (6) -- Danny Trevathan, Roquan Smith, Nick Kwiatkoski, Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Josh Woods, Kevin Pierre-Louis

Cornerback (5) -- Kyle Fuller, Prince Amukamara, Buster Skrine, Kevin Toliver II, Duke Shelley

Safety (5) -- Eddie Jackson, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Deon Bush, DeAndre Houston-Carson, Sherrick McManis

Special teams (3) -- Eddy Pineiro, Pat O'Donnell, Patrick Scales

Interesting that they only kept 24 on offense and 26 on defense. Alex Bars looks like the odd man out. Surprised they went with only 4x OLB's considering Floyd's and Lynch's injury histories. I really thought James Vaughters had a chance and hope he and Bars make it to the PS.

This is a good way to look at how much the offense has improved in one offseason:

Patterson replaced Kevin White
Riley Ridley replaced Josh Bellamy
Montgomery replaced Jordan Howard
Davis replaced Benny Cunningham
Kerrith Whyte Jr. replaced Taquan Mizzell 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/five-takeaways-bears-53-man-roster-which-good-enough-win-super-bowl-jonathan-bullard-eddy-pineiro-bradley-sowell

7 hours ago, eback said:

Hope this is good news for James Vaughters. All he has done is make plays and he can always get bigger. Might be a mini MACK with his knack of finding the ball in the backfield. 

We have to be picking up a TE from someone else if they let everyone else go. I thought Bunting and Horsted both played well so surprised there. 

Yes this roster seems much deeper with quality talent than I can remember having in a long time. 

It's all about the blocking (or lack thereof) for these two.  We should have one or both on the PS and give them another year to work on their strength and technique.  

1 hour ago, adam said:

Here is the 53-man roster:

Quarterback (2) -- Mitchell Trubisky, Chase Daniel

Running back (4) -- David Montgomery, Tarik Cohen, Mike Davis, Kerrith Whyte Jr.

Wide receiver (6) -- Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Anthony Miller, Cordarrelle Patterson, Riley Ridley, Javon Wims

Tight end (4) -- Trey Burton, Adam Shaheen, Ben Braunecker, Bradley Sowell

Offensive line (8) -- Charles Leno Jr., Cody Whitehair, James Daniels, Kyle Long, Bobby Massie, Ted Larsen, Rashaad Coward, Cornellius Lucas

Defensive line (6) -- Akiem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, Bilal Nichols, Roy Robertson-Harris, Nick Williams, Abdullah Anderson

Outside linebacker (4) -- Khalil Mack, Leonard Floyd, Aaron Lynch, Isaiah Irving

Inside Linebacker (6) -- Danny Trevathan, Roquan Smith, Nick Kwiatkoski, Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Josh Woods, Kevin Pierre-Louis

Cornerback (5) -- Kyle Fuller, Prince Amukamara, Buster Skrine, Kevin Toliver II, Duke Shelley

Safety (5) -- Eddie Jackson, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Deon Bush, DeAndre Houston-Carson, Sherrick McManis

Special teams (3) -- Eddy Pineiro, Pat O'Donnell, Patrick Scales

Interesting that they only kept 24 on offense and 26 on defense. Alex Bars looks like the odd man out. Surprised they went with only 4x OLB's considering Floyd's and Lynch's injury histories. I really thought James Vaughters had a chance and hope he and Bars make it to the PS.

Two players I don't get are Whyte who did almost nothing as a RB all preseason and Lucas who did nothing as a blocker.  I'm a fan of Nall and felt he could provide a little as a h-back type but we never really saw him do much blocking in the preseason so I get cutting him and likely moving him to the PS.  We've already got Patterson as KR and part-time RB so what is Whyte going to do? 

As an interior OG Bars outplayed Lucas but at OT it might be a simple case of short-term depth needed while Coward heals from his elbow injury.  Lucas' experience might make him the better short-term option.  

Then there is the decision to keep 6 ILBs.  Either we love them as special teams players or there is a trade being cooked up swapping one ILB for an OLB.  

Congratulations are on order for Nick Williams and Abdullah Anderson who have both worked their way into being solid depth players for us.  

1 hour ago, adam said:

This is a good way to look at how much the offense has improved in one offseason:

Patterson replaced Kevin White
Riley Ridley replaced Josh Bellamy
Montgomery replaced Jordan Howard
Davis replaced Benny Cunningham
Kerrith Whyte Jr. replaced Taquan Mizzell 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/five-takeaways-bears-53-man-roster-which-good-enough-win-super-bowl-jonathan-bullard-eddy-pineiro-bradley-sowell

I think the Daniels/Whitehair position swap will pay solid dividends this year too.  Kyle Long has had an entire offseason to workout and is looking more like his pre-injury days.  

You didn't list Wims who looks like a legit depth this year.  WR depth is solid especially when you consider Cohen spends a lot of time as a slot WR.  I'd say Wims replaces Kevin White while Patterson was brought in to be the one to split time with Cohen.  IMO giving Cohen less reps means he'll be running more deep routes at least I hope so because he's tough to stay with in his cuts.