Bears vs Packers - Week 1 - Official Game Thread (Thu, Sep 5th, 7:20 PM CT/NBC/Bears -3, O/U 46)

adam

It's here! 5 days from kickoff. Who's pumped up? This is the most excited I have been for a season to start in a long time. This team has one of the best rosters and coaching staffs in the NFL. We have guys fully healthy (Robinson, Miller, Long, Floyd, Shaheen), with up and coming stars (Smith, RRH, Nichols) and fresh blood (Montgomery) to go with a stacked roster of Pro Bowlers. 

I can't see the Bears losing this one. GB and Rodgers in a new system while the Bears are in Year#2 with Nagy and Co. Montgomery is going to shine. Bears have too many weapons on offense and beasts on defense.

The Bears are only favored by 3, which means Vegas sees these as even teams. Talk about disrespect. Let's show Merica who we are with a Cheesehead beat down!

Bears 34-13

:bears

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many unknowns; especially on O.  I suspect the D will carry the team.  Not sure how Trubisky will do; haven’t really seen him do much since last season.  Yes there are a lot of new shiny pieces on O but we haven’t seen them in a game time situation since January.  

To me it doesn’t matter too much that the Packers are in a new scheme.  The offense goes the way of Rodgers...and he’s still there.  Their D isn’t shabby; have a new guy goes by the last name of Amos.  And the two Smith guys are going to be a concern.  

Think the odds are right on this one.  Predict a closer contest like 3 point separation with the Bears winning.  27-24, 24-21...something like that.  

1 hour ago, lemonej said:

The last meaningful thing I saw Trubisky do is drive his team into position to kick a winning FG in a playoff game and the kicker double doinked it!

Yep, and obvious if you look at what happened. moving forward, letting the pain go from that killer season-ender, I bet the D is SUPER hyped to mash Rogers and the puckers. Perfect scenario: Opening night (for the entire NFL), home game, hated puckers with another overly cocky QB [thank you Peter King for kissing every pucker QB's A*S (but, really, love to play them) and the historical background of 100 years, Papa Bear, and the two great franchises of the league. BEAR DOWN and "F" the puckers up!

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Too many unknowns; especially on O.  I suspect the D will carry the team.  Not sure how Trubisky will do; haven’t really seen him do much since last season.  Yes there are a lot of new shiny pieces on O but we haven’t seen them in a game time situation since January.  

To me it doesn’t matter too much that the Packers are in a new scheme.  The offense goes the way of Rodgers...and he’s still there.  Their D isn’t shabby; have a new guy goes by the last name of Amos.  And the two Smith guys are going to be a concern.  

Think the odds are right on this one.  Predict a closer contest like 3 point separation with the Bears winning.  27-24, 24-21...something like that.  

Very few starters in the entire league put in much time during the preseason, so I wouldn't knock the Bears for that.

Also, you have to remember how Robinson looked at the end of the last year, he will be better this year. Miller with one arm? He now has two. Shaheen is 100%, Long is 100%. Then to top that off, we replaced Howard with Montgomery, Cunningham with Davis, Mizzell with Whyte, Bellamy with Ridley, and White with Patterson. All of those are upgrades and Wims to boot. 

New coach calling the plays, new terminology, regardless of the QB, there is a learning curve. Maybe not for Rodgers, but all the other players have to learn it too.

GB is not a bad team, but they are nowhere near the level they were at, even just a few years ago. They will need a Rodgers miracle to even have a chance to win.

17 hours ago, Bill said:

Can't wait.  

And as for the D. The times that other teams defense slowed down our rush with Mack etc.  I don't think they will be able to do that with the blitz packages I believe Pagano is going to dial up this year.

As long as they start to calls some holds against Mack. He gets mugged every play and only gets a call about 25% of the time.

12 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I was afraid of that.  ‘Next Man Up’, Time to bring up Horstead or bring back Bunting.

The only silver lining is that the offense prepared this offseason without him. There is no way Nagy installed a game plan without Burton practicing and getting reps. So I assume this is evidence of that now. The Bears can let him sit and now GB has no clue what we are going to do on offense as the last productive tape outside of the 2nd half of the Philly game included Burton.

I was telling all my football friends last year, while we were having a great season, that its not our year to win it all. I told them that, this year would be our year to win it all. For a few reasons. We are good, our coach will not be a rookie anymore, its our 100th year and most of all, its been 34 (Walter Payton#) years since we won our last Super Bowl. lets do this. I am not from Chicago, but when I was in middle school, I was watching a college game on TV. I was watching the best football player of all time. I was soo amazed of him, that I told myself, what ever teams drafts him, will be my favorite team.

5 minutes ago, NAMEDSONPAYTON2 said:

I was telling all my football friends last year, while we were having a great season, that its not our year to win it all. I told them that, this year would be our year to win it all. For a few reasons. We are good, our coach will not be a rookie anymore, its our 100th year and most of all, its been 34 (Walter Payton#) years since we won our last Super Bowl. lets do this. I am not from Chicago, but when I was in middle school, I was watching a college game on TV. I was watching the best football player of all time. I was soo amazed of him, that I told myself, what ever teams drafts him, will be my favorite team.

and that player was... Stan Thomas? :P

24 minutes ago, NAMEDSONPAYTON2 said:

I am not from Chicago, but when I was in middle school, I was watching a college game on TV. I was watching the best football player of all time. I was soo amazed of him, that I told myself, what ever teams drafts him, will be my favorite team.

I’m guessing ‘your son’ was named after Walter not Manning?

• adam pinned and featured this topic
  • adam unpinned this topic

Interesting stat line:

Packers vs. Bears Betting Trends
Green Bay Packers are 4-5-1 ATS in the last 10 games
Chicago Bears are 9-1 ATS in the last 10 games

I did not realize the Bears were 9-1 Against the Spread in their last 10 games. That is insanely good.  They will have to win by 4+ to make it 10-1. I say they do.

On 9/1/2019 at 5:47 PM, adam said:

Trey Burton again, this guy needs to go. Too unreliable to count on for a SB caliber team:

He helped us win 12 games last year and has missed just a single game for which he needed surgery.  He was 10th in receptions among TEs and 4th in TDs last year and fans want to get rid of him. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&experience=&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_TOUCHDOWNS

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

He helped us win 12 games last year and has missed just a single game for which he needed surgery.  He was 10th in receptions among TEs and 4th in TDs last year and fans want to get rid of him. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&experience=&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_TOUCHDOWNS

Availability is your best ability. It's just like Long, if he can't stay healthy, the Bears aren't going re-sign him beyond his current contract. I am hoping he does, and they can lock him up, but if he can't get on the field, you have to count on someone else. Same goes for Shaheen. It just sucks that after an entire offseason for a hernia/groin surgery that issues are still present in September. 

Burton has no history of injuries before we obtained  him, so I think a lot of this coming back to soon from his one surgery. Missed one game last year but was an important one. Did you say the same thing when Triubisky missed 2 games? I dont remember . I think the game will be easier than most think. 33-16. Lots of new players on D and the offense will take time to gel. If we do a good job of stopping the run, I think we win big. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Burton has no history of injuries before we obtained  him, so I think a lot of this coming back to soon from his one surgery. Missed one game last year but was an important one. Did you say the same thing when Triubisky missed 2 games? I dont remember . I think the game will be easier than most think. 33-16. Lots of new players on D and the offense will take time to gel. If we do a good job of stopping the run, I think we win big. 

I know, but between him and Shaheen, we are super fragile at TE now. We really can't afford to lose many games from either of them. Burton has the 6th highest cap hit on the team this year. Some tough decisions looming after this season and this makes those decisions a lot tougher. I am just hoping this is something minor, unrelated to his surgery, and that he makes a speedy recovery. 

Why does it matter what I said about Trubisky? He was cheap-shotted on a dirty hit and came back two weeks later. Zero impact to the offseason or this season. Which is more in line with what you would expect from injury recovery. So I don't know exactly where you were going with that one.

Now back to the game....this is LaFleur's first game as a HC, and his offenses weren't all that great, so it will be interesting to see how GB looks. On defense, some media pundits actually said GB's defense might end up better than ours (which is laughable) this year. 

Also, I am surprised at how many national media picks are taking the Packers. It's funny how losing Fangio, Amos, and Callahan are far worse than all the upgrades we have made everywhere else.

Either way, it's almost go time. I can't wait for game time.