Bears vs Packers - Week 1 - Official Game Thread (Thu, Sep 5th, 7:20 PM CT/NBC/Bears -3, O/U 46)

adam

I guess all the disrespect is founded.  Just a sad game and not sure how I can pull a positive out of this.  Last year they looked good and ran out of steam 2nd half.  They were never in this one.  Sad display by a team that is suppose to be a playoff contender

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was crap.  Nagy outsmarted himself in the preseason and his offense just wasn't ready for this at all.  One more thing is clear:  If he does not have a good U TE on the field his offense doesn't function.  That goes back to when he was with KC in the playoffs and he lost Kelce in the 2nd half, Burton out against the Eagles and here again tonight.  After he was hired and he was on the flight to Chicago with Pace he told him how important that position was to his offense.  He wasn't joking.  If he's a good coach he'll find a way around this problem.  

On a positive note we have a really good defense even if there were a few calls in secondary that looked like players didn't know their responsibilities.  That'll get fixed within a few games.  Roquan Smith is elite.  The energy he played with and hit with were really fun to watch.  I don't know if we'll have RRH next season but if not we're going to wish we did.  Floyd with a bull rush sack and he was in/around several other pressures too.  

Cody Whitehair didn't play well at the end and really killed the last drive all by himself.  Charles Leno killed one earlier in the 4th quarter all by himself.  Whitehair is about to be a new father which reportedly will happen any day.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he had family on his mind.  Really the Oline as a whole looked out of sync too often.   

Did Javon Wims have more snaps than Miller?  I never saw Miller until the last few minutes of the game.  Trubisky looked lost most of the game.  

We see this every year in the first week or two of the season where teams play really poorly.  Good teams fix it.  No need to panic yet but of course we will. 

So time to overreact, but they seem to be over hyped and in for a large letdown this year.  Based on the display this week 7an9 would be a good record.  Someone tell me something I can hang my hat on going forward.  Mitch just looked lost out there all game.  Totally out coached on every level of the game.  And this from a new coach who never showed anything above average in the past.

20 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

That was crap.  Nagy outsmarted himself in the preseason and his offense just wasn't ready for this at all.  

On a positive note we have a really good defense even if there were a few calls in secondary that looked like players didn't know their responsibilities.  That'll get fixed within a few games.  Roquan Smith is elite.  The energy he played with and hit with were really fun to watch.  I don't know if we'll have RRH next season but if not we're going to wish we did.  Floyd with a bull rush sack and he was in/around several other pressures too.  

Did Javon Wims have more snaps than Miller?  I never saw Miller until the last few minutes of the game.  Trubisky looked lost most of the game.  

We see this every year in the first week or two of the season where teams play really poorly.  Good teams fix it.  No need to panic yet but of course we will. 

Agreed that most teams look sluggish for the first 3-4 regular season games, but all the teams will be hitting that stride about the same time.  We can’t afford to have the team go 1-3 or 0-4 while they figure things out. 

I saw Wims our there quite a bit as the Y receiver and expected him to be more involved.  Not sure but my rough estimate is Trubisky looked at him maybe 1-2 times.  The rest of the majority of the time he was locked into Robinson.

D came out strong and to me looked like they gassed out late in the game.  Mack was a factor early on but not much after that.  Amazing if you compare his game one this year versus last year.  I agree that Smith is something special.  He fell prey to the lack of playing time too when he disappeared for most of the third quarter then came roaring back in the 4th.  RRH is a solid player.  He was last year and appears to be again this year.  I’m not overly concerned about the D going forward.

If this is Trubisky looking prepared and making an improvement after one year under Nagys offense; we’re in for a long year. 

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

So time to overreact, but they seem to be over hyped and in for a large letdown this year.  Based on the display this week 7an9 would be a good record.  Someone tell me something I can hang my hat on going forward.  Mitch just looked lost out there all game.  Totally out coached on every level of the game.  And this from a new coach who never showed anything above average in the past.

Positives:

1. The defense was borderline unstoppable. Rodgers beat Deon Bush twice on the TD drive. Outside of that, one other pass to the TE and the DPI on Roquan, GB didn't do anything. They were 2-12 on 3rd Downs, which was worse than the Bears offense, which seems impossible. Outside of Roquan's DPI, he was everywhere. Mack was held on every play, RRH, Floyd, Goldman, and Hicks were very good. 103 of Rodgers 202 passing yards came from 3 plays. His other 15 completions totaled 99 yards. The GB RB's were 18-39 rushing, barely over 2 YPC. The defense is legit.

2. Pineiro did not miss a kick and scored the only points for the team.

3. As far as I know, no one was seriously injured. 

4. We lost Week 1 last year in heartbreaking fashion. That seemed to motivate the team for the year. Their heads may have gotten too big with all the SB talk. Let's reel them back in and get a win in Week 2 and start a nice winning streak. 

5. We get to play GB again and exact revenge for this loss in Week 15 when games seem to matter more. 

6. We can't get any worse, can we? This has to be the worst our offense will look.

I don't know if I have seen our Offensive Line play worse than tonight. Between the penalties, missed blocks, etc. Even with the few runs we had, there was one decent running lane. Otherwise, our RB's were getting hit within a yard of the LOS. Pass Pro was terrible, and these are our highly paid starters. Mitch had very little time to throw.

The playcalling was beyond Loggains. 3rd and 1 and you give a draw to Patterson up the middle who is hit behind the LOS for a loss? Also, the routes/play calls never gave Mitch a chance. He missed some throws, but for the most part, it was not like there were many open receivers. Mitch played terrible, but Nagy did him no favors. Establish the run, go to Play Action and RPO. Someone on Twitter said we went something like 30 straight plays without an RB run. If true, that is insane for a game that is within 7 pts or less for the entire game.

If I remember we lost our first game last year also. I was so excited to see this take off and they did everything to kick me in the nuts.

Our defense had one bad series and this is what we got, no offense.

Our OLine played bad and disrupted our offense all night.

MT looked bad but a great deal of this is on Nagy. Didnt stick to running the ball to minimize the Trubisky effect. When he was getting pressure all the time, he should have rolled him out more. More quick passes and more running plays .

This was a team loss, so we just move on to getting our shit together , not pretty.

I can't remember a more deflating loss.  I was looking for a highly competitive game from both teams.  Even though the game was close, both teams looked like shite.  Nagy was way overconfident with the way he prepared his team.  Make no mistake, Pagano had his boys ready to go.  

Trubisky looked like a rookie again.  He couldn't go through a progression to save his ass.  It was clear that he needed pre season reps.  He has to show us something this year or he honestly doesn't have it.

Last year, Nagy lived off the element of surprise in the first game but had nothing for the second half in an ugly loss.  This year, he got cocky and had NOTHING in a complete humiliation.  The Bears are now the laughing stock of the NFL...again!  It's any given Sunday and the lowest level coaches should know it.  How did Nagy not?

I'm looking for the defense to play even better next week, because they know they are the only chance this team has at a playoff berth. 

The offense will need to rebound quickly to alleviate some of the pressure that is on the defense.  It will see stacked boxes and blitzes until it is beaten.  I only hope that our offensive is not tied to Trey Burton being on the field.  Otherwise, the entire off season was a huge mistake in not addressing a depth player like him.

This year will define Nagy and Trubisky.

12 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

This year will define Nagy and Trubisky.

Absolutely right.  I hope Nagy is able to recover from this.  I really like what he’s doing, culture-wise,  with the team.

I keep seeing comments about how last year the team also lost the opener but to me there was no comparison.  Some similarities yes, mostly that no one really played in the pre-season (which I hate) but that’s about it.  Last year the offense and the D clicked and the D lost steam.  Rodgers was Rodgers and came back to win the game.  This year, the offense never got on track.  The D did its best but even then it looked a little more timid...I said a little more, not much. I still can’t get over how different Mack looked in last years season opener vs this year.  And this year with a whole offseason to practice with the team.  Anyhow, it’s clear the trajectory out of the gate...right now...isn’t going the same way.  Especially on offense. 

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

David Montgomery had 5 carries and Mike Davis had 6.  They need to run the damn ball. If they don't at least have 25 to 30 carries between the 2 each week they are done. 

Peace

Yeah, I read where we are 0-3 when Trubisky passes that much and 10-2 when the running backs carry 30+.  Coach got too cute.

Did Trubisky check out of run plays due to GB daring him to pass?  I didn't see any screens or the trip WR bubble screen.  Nagy needs to get back to the basics and hold Trubisky a little tighter on check outs.  Montgomery needs 15 to 20 carries, use Davis to spell him. 

A loss by 7 feels like we were pounded by 30.  Hate to be down on the season already, so gonna give it another chance to see if progress is made.

For the record, Mack had a great game.  He either caused or was within half a step of all 5 sacks.  He was also held on 4 of them.

Something needs done with the lack of holding calls, otherwise it negates what we are trying to do on defense.

My 13 year old son called about twenty of them last night that were legit.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:07 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Think it’s operator error, not the script writer.  Maybe I’m wrong...but I suspect not. 

it just seemed to cute for me.  Trubisky looked really bad, but that is what you get when you don't play in the preseason.  He looks a lot like Cutler, and that's not a good thing

5 hours ago, Boston Boxer said:

it just seemed to cute for me.  Trubisky looked really bad, but that is what you get when you don't play in the preseason.  He looks a lot like Cutler, and that's not a good thing

Yeah unfortunately I think you’re right.  He looked as confused as he did most times last year.   I did see him audible a bit more than I recall seeing before but that may have been a bad choice on Nagy’s part. That is letting him do it.  Rumor has it that Trubisky audibled out of a few running plays to passing plays; may explain the 40+ pass attempts?  I can’t believe Nagy would be that foolish to call passes that often?  And yes there were too many gimmicky plays this time.  Those should be used sparingly, not constantly.  

Trubisky went back to locking on receivers several times when he went to throw.  Had it not been for Robinson’s unbelievable talent it’s hard to say how many actual pass yards he would’ve ended up with.  Someone here (I think) said Robinson makes mediocre QBs look good.  All I can say is ‘yup’. 

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I seriously think if we would have run the whole game and didnt have one pass, we would have scored more points than 3. 

Agreed.  Still baffles me that it seems they didn’t give Montgomery a chance to get any rhythm.  He had some nice runs (and one great catch) but seemed to have been shelved for much of the game.  Like others have noted, there was no reason to pass as much as they did, not with the score as close as it was.  

On 9/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, adam said:

Positives:

1. The defense was borderline unstoppable. Rodgers beat Deon Bush twice on the TD drive. Outside of that, one other pass to the TE and the DPI on Roquan, GB didn't do anything. They were 2-12 on 3rd Downs, which was worse than the Bears offense, which seems impossible. Outside of Roquan's DPI, he was everywhere. Mack was held on every play, RRH, Floyd, Goldman, and Hicks were very good. 103 of Rodgers 202 passing yards came from 3 plays. His other 15 completions totaled 99 yards. The GB RB's were 18-39 rushing, barely over 2 YPC. The defense is legit.

2. Pineiro did not miss a kick and scored the only points for the team.

3. As far as I know, no one was seriously injured. 

4. We lost Week 1 last year in heartbreaking fashion. That seemed to motivate the team for the year. Their heads may have gotten too big with all the SB talk. Let's reel them back in and get a win in Week 2 and start a nice winning streak. 

5. We get to play GB again and exact revenge for this loss in Week 15 when games seem to matter more. 

6. We can't get any worse, can we? This has to be the worst our offense will look.

Your right,m thanks for reminding me.  I was so disappointed that they did not run I lost the fact that the D played a great game.  I was yelling at the TV almost as much as I did in 85 when they did not let Walter get a TD. I failed to see the good parts.  

22 hours ago, Bill said:

Your right,m thanks for reminding me.  I was so disappointed that they did not run I lost the fact that the D played a great game.  I was yelling at the TV almost as much as I did in 85 when they did not let Walter get a TD. I failed to see the good parts.  

Oh man, that still chaps my ass (Walter not getting the Fridge carry). 

I wish to live in a world in which Ryan Pace chose Patrick Mahomes instead of Trubisky... God wouldn't that be a sight to behold. 

It's becoming more and more clear that Pace chose the worst quarterback of the 3 and probably saved his job when he traded for Mack. 

Trubisky has not progressed beyond a 1 read quarterback. He doesn't see the field well (He missed wide open receivers downfield several times against GB). His arm strength is pedestrian, at best, and his down field accuracy is still garbage. At this point, I'm almost ready to say that him becoming Alex Smith would be a compliment to him at this point. The more I watch him play, the more Blake Bortles/Tim Tebow I see in his game. 

He's going to play against an even tougher defense next week against Denver - where, historically, they've been nearly unbeatable at home early in seasons. I am not confident he will bounce back, but I'm also not super confident Denver will be able to put up many points against this Bears defense with Joe Flacco playing quarterback. If the Bears are going to win, it's likely going to have to be because of turnovers or a defensive score.

31 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I wish to live in a world in which Ryan Pace chose Patrick Mahomes instead of Trubisky... God wouldn't that be a sight to behold. 

It's becoming more and more clear that Pace chose the worst quarterback of the 3 and probably saved his job when he traded for Mack. 

Trubisky has not progressed beyond a 1 read quarterback. He doesn't see the field well (He missed wide open receivers downfield several times against GB). His arm strength is pedestrian, at best, and his down field accuracy is still garbage. At this point, I'm almost ready to say that him becoming Alex Smith would be a compliment to him at this point. The more I watch him play, the more Blake Bortles/Tim Tebow I see in his game. 

He's going to play against an even tougher defense next week against Denver - where, historically, they've been nearly unbeatable at home early in seasons. I am not confident he will bounce back, but I'm also not super confident Denver will be able to put up many points against this Bears defense with Joe Flacco playing quarterback. If the Bears are going to win, it's likely going to have to be because of turnovers or a defensive score.

Our only saving grace against Denver is that we will have 4 extra days of rest where they will be coming in off a short week playing MNF on the road. So they have to travel, and lose a day compared to a normal week. 

I will give Trubisky to the bye. If he doesn't improve considerably, then he is not the answer at QB and we need to draft one next year. We could package our 2x 2nd's next year and move back to around Pick #20. There should be a decent QB available in the first, and at this point, I don't know if they can be worse than Trubisky.

I don't think Mahomes was ever an option. I wanted Watson, and I wouldn't mind him either. We will see how he looks tomorrow night. It is funny looking back at the Mahomes pick because his comp was Jay Cutler and he was coming from Texas Tech (Air Raid Offense), but he should've been the #1 pick. Cleveland and SF should be just pissed. Cleveland picked Garrett and SF traded with us, then picked Thomas. They should be getting the same flak for not drafting Mahomes. JAX, TEN, NYJ, LAC, CAR, and CIN all passed on Mahomes. He is better than all their QBs.