QB Hell

adam

19 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Much of this depends on which plays you choose to highlight.  YOu can easily make a highlight film showing all of Trubisky's bad plays and think that's it.  You can make a video just as long showing all the Oline issues that is equally as long.  Or you can make a video of all our running plays that is really short.  

so true. but the assertion that Nagy didnt provide options, hot reads and outlets would be proved false by those tapes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

so true. but the assertion that Nagy didnt provide options, hot reads and outlets would be proved false by those tapes.

The notion that the hot read or the outlet was always open is also false.  In some cases the hot read might have been a 3rd down completion but without a chance for a first down what is the point of doing that?  I'd try to force the ball into a spot to see if we can get the first down.  See the 3rd and 1 play where Shaheen and Robinson were the two options after a fake handoff.  Green Bay played it perfectly and if Trubisky tried to throw to Shaheen it might have been picked off although more likely just incomplete.  He tried to come back to the inside receiver but that was a no go.  Once again with pressure in his face he ended up diving a yard short of the first down marker. 

I agree sometimes the underneath options were wide open and Trubisky was still too focused downfield and came off that read too late.  We ended up with no gain, a sack, or a short gain that was half of what we could have had if he were quicker to decide.   Lots of room for improvement for him to just take what the D is giving up.  

From what I can gather on film. everyone was taking a turn. Line getting beat and confused sometimes. RBs /TEs same . QB not taking the “ layup” when it’s there. Blitz pickup plan was confusing . This is one of the rare times you can actually say EVERYONE needs to get better.

https://twitter.com/olin_kreutz/status/1171580252671348739?s=21

48 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

He has this year to prove himself. If not, we'll need to move on. 

Peace

yup, from the most optimistic to the most pessimistic points of view, this is surely the consensus.

I dont hear anyone saying if he's terrible this year, let's give him another, and I don't hear anyone saying that we should bench him now for any other option we may have.

Well I actually have heard a little of that last one, but if you say Daniels or Bray over a couple games, they'd stop saying that.

I still think Trubisky can turn it around, but I can't say if he will.

Let's hope our worries are unfounded.

BUT - IF, and I realize it is a BIG IF, Mitch tanks and we need to look elsewhere........

What are the chances of Andrew Luck coming out of retirement next year and coming to the Bears?

CP was his first Head Coach in Indy. I'd suspect it would be tempting for him to hook up with him again.

17 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Much of this depends on which plays you choose to highlight.  YOu can easily make a highlight film showing all of Trubisky's bad plays and think that's it.  You can make a video just as long showing all the Oline issues that is equally convincing.  Or you can make a video of all our running plays that is really short.  

Perhaps I'm biased but the video I presented does a pretty good job in identifying the successes and the 'not-so' in the last game. I don't see it as slant to downplay Trubisky's performance anymore than your video was parlaying more the positives.  In fact I think one infamous play showed the one where he was very nearly picked off while throwing across the body to Patterson when Robinson was crossing underneath with single TRAILING coverage. He (Robinson) would've quite literally passed under Trubisky's line of sight while he looked to chuck the ball from right to left across the field.  

Which makes me go back to the lack of preparation.  He isn't the only one that suffered from this.  Its clear the offensive line struggled with some of their assignments and the offense in general struggled due to lack of reps.  Something that bothered me last year and again this year.  I'm hoping for a marked improvement this week although my expectations are tempered due to them playing against Fangio.    

Interesting thought about Luck, but I think the salary cap plan is to build with a QB on their rookie deal.

Also keep in mind that Nagy wasnt part of the team when they chose Trubisky. Nagy's team chose Mahomes. Maybe Nagy + Pace = a smart QB draft pick.

I just wish we had a first rounder next year, if we are considering this. Hmmm...

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Let's hope our worries are unfounded.

BUT - IF, and I realize it is a BIG IF, Mitch tanks and we need to look elsewhere........

What are the chances of Andrew Luck coming out of retirement next year and coming to the Bears?

CP was his first Head Coach in Indy. I'd suspect it would be tempting for him to hook up with him again.

Hmmm..intriguing thought.  I mean when/if Gronkowski comes out of retirement what's to say Luck couldn't or wouldn't?  He would be a pretty sweet backup if for nothing else.  

9 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Well I actually have heard a little of that last one, but if you say Daniels or Bray over a couple games, they'd stop saying that.

Message received.  I'm just saying Bray looked better playing the offense in the pre-season.  I know it was a vanilla offense but we were led to believe the Mitch had a handle on the more complex version and here we are discussing his future with the team.  I also know that Daniels didn't look all that hot in spot duty (this preseason) but he knows the offense and looked better last year in relief than Mitch did Thursday...  

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Message received.  I'm just saying Bray looked better playing the offense in the pre-season.  I know it was a vanilla offense but we were led to believe the Mitch had a handle on the more complex version and here we are discussing his future with the team.  I also know that Daniels didn't look all that hot in spot duty (this preseason) but he knows the offense and looked better last year in relief than Mitch did Thursday...  

Oh dude, I dont blame you. But other than the greatest QB of all time, they generally arent waiting for you on your deep bench LOL If Bray is Brady, I'll poop a football. Gladly! Wouldnt that be great? (Bray being awesome I mean, pooping a football is never great)

But in the real world, a franchise QB is only going to be available to us in the draft. Maybe one who needs (part of?) a year to develop.

We could probably package our two 2nd rounders to get up into the #20 pick range...

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Oh dude, I dont blame you. But other than the greatest QB of all time, they generally arent waiting for you on your deep bench LOL If Bray is Brady, I'll poop a football. Gladly! Wouldnt that be great? (Bray being awesome I mean, pooping a football is never great)

But in the real world, a franchise QB is only going to be available to us in the draft. Maybe one who needs (part of?) a year to develop.

We could probably package our two 2nd rounders to get up into the #20 pick range...

I’m more of the mindset that if Trubisky continues to flounder then maybe we should look to see what one of these two guys can do before we totally do as you suggest and throw a bunch of other ‘things’ at a hopeful Franchise QB.  I’m not suggesting either of them would be that guy just that if we could get any measurable and respectable production out of them we may not be as in an emergent situation.  And I’d really hate to squander where the team is now with the defensive side of the ball. 

However if (as Adam hinted) Andrew Luck were interested in coming out of retirement, I’m totally good with that. Even if Mitchell gets better,  he’d still be a hell of a backup.