Bears at Broncos Week 2 - Official Game Thread (Sun, Sep 15th, 3:25 PM CT/NBC/Bears -2, O/U 40.5)

adam

4 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Gotta hand it to Trubiksy.  He was clutch up to the last minute. Looked a lot better this game than last.  

And how about that PINERO?!?!??

Edy, Edy! Kid has to be estatic now after all the crap on his shoulders. Wow, did we try to give this one away, but the Broncs weren't takin". Nagy, where's the game. I'm disappointed cause we have a brutal schedule ahead.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Longest FG for Bears since 2000. 

Bears seemed to get screwed on the extra point/2-conversion. If the Broncos took a 5 yard penalty, then the Bears took a half the distance penalty on the offsides, then the ball should've been at the 3.5 yard line (2 yard line > 7 yard line > 3.5 yard line), not the 1 yard line. I don't know why the Broncos penalty yards would be negated just because you switch from kick to 2-pt conversion. It seems like the officials got it wrong there.

Great throw by Trubisky on that throw. Then to make that kick? Crazy. ClubDub is booming right now! 

Still need some work on offense, especially the O-Line and passing game, but it was progress from Week 1. A win in Denver this early in the season is a huge accomplishment. Now we get an extra day of rest before Washington on Monday Night.

3 minutes ago, adam said:

29 runs, 27 passes. Finally, balance. Montgomery with 18 carries, Davis with 3 (only gained 1 yard). Still a work in progress, but a win is a win:

I want to say this was the first home opener for Denver in a lonnnnnngggg time.  They flashed that stat earlier in the game.  Think they had the winningest home opener streak in the NFL...until today.

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

Can't fault the players they were gases all the fourth quarter.  But can't keep playing like this and win.  Why did I not see any players suck on oxygen on the bench?

They had them under those shades for part of the game.  Maybe sucking down 02 during that time(?). But psychologically don’t want to give too much away either and let them see you pant.  Mack looked gassed for sure at the end of the game.  

In context, to see them fight to very end was pretty impressive.  Considering this was an early season game where they aren’t quite in their groove and don’t have a lot of games under their belts.  Had this game been later in the season (like week 10 or 11) I’d bet the Bears would’ve looked a lot better.

Packers and Vikings both play against the Broncs too but both of their games are at their respective ‘homes’.  I see Denver splitting their games with them; win against GB (next week) and loss to the Vikes. 

Too much emotion on this one but I always take my wins anyway we get 'em.  It was a tough game but I think this is a huge confidence boost for this entire team.   Montgomery is the real deal.  He finds more yards when there is nothing than anyone I've seen in a long time.  The Oline owes him a steak dinner for some of his 3-4 yard gains.   Trubisky was average but he didn't lose the game.   On his one deep pass that was overthrown I wonder if he knows that at that altitude the ball will travel about 10% farther?  If he didn't he does now.   Nagy started out conservative but stayed that way I think to a detriment of the offense.  I hope he can get all cylinders firing soon.   The D is still the real deal.     

From listening to some of the post-game recaps, the Bears stole one in Denver. Vic had his defense ready and his knowledge of the team, players, and tendencies made this an incredibly challenging matchup. Add that to the elevation, which really became a factor in the 4th, and this was an incredibly challenging game to win. 

Interesting to see other QBs struggle mightily this week. Watson? 16-29, 159 yds, 0 TD, 4 sacks. That's throwing to Hopkins. Very surprising.

How about Cousins? 14-32, 43.8%, 230 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 sack, and a fumble lost for a 52.9 QB Rating. Less than 50% with Thielen and Diggs? Ouch.

Mariota? 154 yards. Brissett, 146 yards.

As of the 3rd quarter, Wentz is 7-18, 28.9%, 55 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT for a 7.6 QB Rating.......

1 hour ago, adam said:

From listening to some of the post-game recaps, the Bears stole one in Denver. Vic had his defense ready and his knowledge of the team, players, and tendencies made this an incredibly challenging matchup. Add that to the elevation, which really became a factor in the 4th, and this was an incredibly challenging game to win. 

Interesting to see other QBs struggle mightily this week. Watson? 16-29, 159 yds, 0 TD, 4 sacks. That's throwing to Hopkins. Very surprising.

How about Cousins? 14-32, 43.8%, 230 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 sack, and a fumble lost for a 52.9 QB Rating. Less than 50% with Thielen and Diggs? Ouch.

Mariota? 154 yards. Brissett, 146 yards.

As of the 3rd quarter, Wentz is 7-18, 28.9%, 55 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT for a 7.6 QB Rating.......

Nobody wants to hear that.  Trubisky played good football for most of the game but word on the (internet) street is that Nagy took the football out of Mitch's hands.  I have to wonder if he took it out of the hands of his pass blockers after seeing how poorly they played.  You knew Chubb and Miller were champing at the bit to get some sacks as much as Mack and Floyd were.  Mitch as room for improvement but IMO the Oline needs more work than Mitch at this point.  

I'm not sure he took it out of his hands , they had several throws down field.  You have to have a balanced attack, last week we threw to much when GB was in nickel all game. I think this one pushes the offense in a much better place. Trubisky took us 45 yards in 31 seconds with one timeout and the smart's to call a timeout as soon as the WR was on the ground . That's going to boast the confidence level up for MT. Plus we now trust our kicker.  With Washington up next I see the offense scoring lots of points. 

Eddie "Money" has a nice ring to it. :) What a hell of a kick. I have to be honest, I expected him to shank it, but looking at that replay, he may have hit that one from 60. The ball touched the back of the net before it came down! Kudos to him. The Bears may actually have a kicker now. 3/3 for the day, including two 50+ yarders, and obviously one of them as a game winner. It doesn't get much better than that.

I also want to give props to Patrick Odonell. Easily his best punting day as a Bear. I think he's mostly sucked for most of his Bears tenure, but he stepped up today while the offense struggled once again. Without the special teams today, the Bears would have lost that game by at least a touchdown.

Now, for the rest of the team...

Defensively, I was not very impressed. I thought they played worse than the score indicated. I was angry all game watching them sit back and play soft coverage when it was so obvious all Denver was going to do all day was the quick passing game to eliminate the pass rush. They gave up way too much space to Denver's receivers, and would have lost the game had it not been for Eddie Money's heroics and the 1 good play Mitch made all day. 

I noticed the 2pt conversion Denver ran was the exact same play Philly used against the Bears in the playoffs last year. That's the Golden Tate play. I guarantee Fangio influenced that call, knowing the way Kyle Fuller likes to play off his man. They need to figure that play out sooner or later, because it's a copy cat league. Everybody is going to be running that play against the Bears in critical situations.

Onto the offense... Pretty brutal day all around again for Mitch and the offensive line. Mitch is getting all the blame, but quite honestly, the Bears offensive line has been just as bad through 2 games. They cannot run the ball and get push up front. Ever since Hiestand took over, they have been ass in the run game. I miss the zone blocking stuff Adam Gase implemented when he was here.

The OL was good in pass blocking last year, but this year they have been bad in both categories. It's not possible to be a consistent offense with bad offensive line play, no matter who's at quarterback. That's not an excuse for Mitch, because he's been terrible, but it's just stating a fact. Without improvement up front, the Bears are not going to be able to run the ball, and it's going to force Mitch to complete a lot of 3rd and longs, which is something you absolutely don't want to happen. 

All in all, 1-1 looks a hell of a lot better than 0-2, so you'll take the win. But you have to be concerned about the ceiling for this team when you see what kind of offense it appears they have now. This is not a championship level offense. It's not even NFL worthy, frankly. They really can't get much worse than this. 

This was an ugly game but we won that's the most important factor.  Going on the road against a former coach in a loud stadium with high altitude and 90 degree weather . A win no matter how you do it is acceptable. Lots of things to complain about but several good things happened, Trubisky at the most critical point of the game made several plays to get us to the point of kicking a field goal . We now can put away the lack of confidence in our kicking game.  We had a  balanced attack for a change instead of 75% passing against nickel defenses. Defense played well until the fourth quarter when they were gassed because of the heat and altitude. In 2 games they only have 24 points scored against them without any help from the offense.  The oline needs the most work that affects all aspects of the sluggish offense but all of this is doable. 

• adam unfeatured this topic