How Much Long(er)?

AZ54

AZ, the O-Line has been one of the worst units in the league. Long has arguably been the worst Guard thru 3 games. He would be better off just standing there and letting the guy run around him. Daniels has not been good at center. Whitehair has been decent, but that switch is still questionable. Leno has had some penalties, but for the most part has been ok. Massie was below average before missing last week and Lucas actually played decent.

It almost seems too late to switch back to Whitehair at Center, but I would do that, and send Long to the bench. Those moves would at least bring the O-Line back to average. Besides CB and TE, O-Line is a must in the next few drafts. Even though we brought back the same starting 5, we need to get better.

Mitch is still lucky that wasn't a 99-yard pick 6. I don't understand why he was pre-determining where he was going with the ball there. 

Stupid pass when he could have just thrown it away after seeing Norman bear hug Robinson.  I'm ok with the predetermined read to go at Robinson because he should do that.  Not reading how the route was breaking down is on Mitch.  He has to get back to backyard football.   OTOH he knows Kyle's getting blown up in his face all game and he has to get rid of it quickly.  Sure enough Kyle's big butt was pushed right into him as he threw the ball.  I don't see how we can survive against the Vikings with interior Oline play this poor.  Mitch needs to get out of the pocket early and often.   

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Stupid pass when he could have just thrown it away after seeing Norman bear hug Robinson.  I'm ok with the predetermined read to go at Robinson because he should do that.  Not reading how the route was breaking down is on Mitch.  He has to get back to backyard football.   OTOH he knows Kyle's getting blown up in his face all game and he has to get rid of it quickly.  Sure enough Kyle's big butt was pushed right into him as he threw the ball.  I don't see how we can survive against the Vikings with interior Oline play this poor.  Mitch needs to get out of the pocket early and often.   

Yeah, I meant you can't predetermine and just blindly throw it without seeing the play develop. The issue was the play was to the other side and would've resulted in at least a completion if not a TD. 

I agree that if he knows the O-Line can't hold up, he needs to be ready to move, but Nagy then needs to start calling more plays that support that.

32 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't agree with moving Whitehair back to center.  Daniels will be fine.  Our cocky coach didn't play them in pre-season.  Hopefully Long picks it up soon.  He didn't get a lot of work in the pre-season either.

Mongo, I don't know man, Daniels is getting burned pretty bad, and with him next to Long really makes the A-gap right side of the line a huge liability. We can't run there as we have seen numerous plays get blown up for losses, and most of the pressure is coming from there. I just think it was a mistake and the team never really gave a good reason on why they wanted to do it. 
I can see the preseason thing maybe for the first week but after that, I don't buy into it. The starters might play a drive in game 1, a quarter in game 2 and a half in game 3. They would have that amount by the 3rd quarter of Week 1. After that, it's just on the players. 

Long just looks out of shape and gassed. Either he has an injury (I saw something about a hip) or he is just done. He was supposed to be the anchor to the right side and he has been the worst O-Lineman by a Long shot.

The preaseason was an issue but now it's an excuse for poor play. 

They moved Daniels to center because he's the better athlete for that position.  It takes playing time to learn to make the correct call based on what you see the defense do.  His lack of playing time have him baptism by fire.  The OL has looked better every week as a result.  Look for more improvement today against a tough defensive front.  If we end the first quarter of the season with a 3-1 record and improving OL unit, the other three quarters will be ok.  I trust Hiestand a lot.

Not much Long(er).   I'm a huge fan of Kyle and respect and appreciate all he's done for this team.  First and foremost I want to win football games and it's hard to see how he has helped that in any way so far this season.  Now that Kreutz is going public it won't stay under wraps much longer.  I suspect since he knows Harry that he's been holding this back out of respect for both Kyle and Harry.  Now with the bye week it's time to get the negative press out early, let the team make the change quietly when there is no media around, and then get ready for the next game.  

I'd like to think it's all physical with Kyle but he's not just getting beat physically he's also making too many mental mistakes.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/olin-kreutz-doesnt-hold-back-comments-kyle-long-i-wonder-where-he-his-career

You could make an argument that they have to take a good, long look at Kyle Long, and where he’s at, and does he need weeks off… does he need to go on IR, is Rashaad Coward a better option. If you take a really good look at the film, and this is hard for me to say, because I am a big fan of Kyle long, and I’ve watched him for a long time play a high level of football, where he was a dominant right guard… What I’ve seen in the first 3 weeks, and in this week, I wonder about his body, I really do, and I wonder where he is in his career."

whatever the answer is, I hope Nagy is true to his word and watches closely enough to see what needs replacing.

I love the family vibe he has fostered for the team, and standing behind people as they work through bad patches is an admirable trait, but sometimes you gotta make a change too, and I think and hope that this staff is able to do that.