Bye week grade

Bill

Just a dumb mans opinion.  

Offense- D  No where do I see anything that I can hang my hat on going forward.  QB play has been at best below average.  One good quarter and the rest below average.  I don't care about stats or other such things.  The eye test is just sad.  Neither Mitch nor Daniels look like they can lead a team to the playoffs or a long run once they get there.  Being a game manager is just not good enough today.  Sometimes you have to put the game on the QB and expect him to win the game.  I have no faith in either of them doing that.  The off. line is just horrible.  Nothing more to say about the run game or passing game it all starts with the OL play and they have just sucked.

Defense-B. They have had some good  games but also have failed to stop teams from not just winning games but keeping them honest.  Again I mean the eye test.  The backs are just letting to many WR's run free.  Mack is a one man recking crew. but that is the problem.  He can't do it all by himself.  And it seems he is being asked to do to much and runs out of gas in the fourth.  Again in todays NFL just having a great defense is just not enough.  The Raiders game is, I hope, a one off.  But it seemed the coaching staff did nothing as the game went on to fix some of the problems.  The put the defense on their heels and they never recovered.

Special Teams-C-  Only one play that stands out

Coaching D-  . Both on offense and defense.  I just don't understand our game plans on both sides of the ball.  They are 3-2 could be 4-1.  Could be anything but they are playing and look like a 7-9 team that is going backwards not forward.

And I'm not considering anything going forward.  We don't have a bunch of draft picks.  I thing our o-line is in shambles, our QB is more that just a question.  And they need to start replacing some of the top players.  The window seems to of gotten much smaller so far this year not bigger.    

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Offense- D  No where do I see anything that I can hang my hat on going forward.  QB play has been at best below average.  One good quarter and the rest below average.  I don't care about stats or other such things.  The eye test is just sad.  Neither Mitch nor Daniels look like they can lead a team to the playoffs or a long run once they get there.  Being a game manager is just not good enough today.  Sometimes you have to put the game on the QB and expect him to win the game.  I have no faith in either of them doing that.  The off. line is just horrible.  Nothing more to say about the run game or passing game it all starts with the OL play and they have just sucked.

Defense-B. They have had some good  games but also have failed to stop teams from not just winning games but keeping them honest.  Again I mean the eye test.  The backs are just letting to many WR's run free.  Mack is a one man recking crew. but that is the problem.  He can't do it all by himself.  And it seems he is being asked to do to much and runs out of gas in the fourth.  Again in todays NFL just having a great defense is just not enough.  The Raiders game is, I hope, a one off.  But it seemed the coaching staff did nothing as the game went on to fix some of the problems.  The put the defense on their heels and they never recovered.

Coaching D-  . Both on offense and defense.  I just don't understand our game plans on both sides of the ball.  They are 3-2 could be 4-1.  Could be anything but they are playing and look like a 7-9 team that is going backwards not forward.

And I'm not considering anything going forward.  We don't have a bunch of draft picks.  I thing our o-line is in shambles, our QB is more that just a question.  And they need to start replacing some of the top players.  The window seems to of gotten much smaller so far this year not bigger.    

I would say the offense is an F, I don't know how it could be much worse at this point. O-Line, which was supposed to be solid, has been terrible. All the skill position players outside of ARob have been underwhelming. Nagy said they were at the next level from last year, which was all lip service. Whatever he is trying to do, it's not working. I just don't see much separation from our receivers either. Even on some of ARob's crazy catches, the defender is normally right there with him. With all of Gabriel's speed, why can't he get by Safeties? If Miller is so good at changing direction, why is he not open? I don't even know how to evaluate the QB position yet because everyone else has been so bad. How about the TE group? Burton and Shaheen have both been ghosts. We need to bring in (Ben Watson) or bring up some fresh blood. Miller 

I would give the defense an A. They are the only reason we are 3-2, two of the TD drives against OAK were less than 20 yards for our offense. They are not perfect, but the offense is really making it hard on them with time of possession. I think of it as a sprinter. The first few 100 yard dashes are great, then after that you have reached your physical capacity, the time drops off considerably. The defense is the same way, after so many plays, there is just not enough gas in the tank. With injuries as well, I think the defense is doing what they have been asked to do. On a side note, a few of the defensive players were complaining about chop blocks from the Raiders O-Line and if you go and watch the tape, it was happening on almost every run. I don't think any blocker should be allowed to dive at your legs to take you out, regardless if you are engaged with another blocker or not. All they have to do is dive at the side of your knee and boom ACL gone. The NFL really needs to look at that. Supposedly Oakland has been doing it all year and have only been called a few times. 

Special Teams - I would give them a B. O'Donnell is having a career year and has handled kickoffs. If not for Miller's stupid penalty, there would not have even been a chance for a run back against OAK. Also, Miller lost contain on the runback, so double whammy there. Pineiro has come in and done everything he has been asked to do, even with an injury. Returns are few and far between anymore, so to get one every few games should be seen as a positive.

Coaching - I agree, definitely a D. I would say Pagano saves this from being an F as the defense has come to play and looks way more prepared than the offense. Heistand and Nagy are both failing. I am glad we have a great family culture in the locker room, but it also needs to have accountability. 

I agree that the window has shrunk considerably than what we originally thought, however, with a few moves we will be ok.  To me you let Floyd, Long, Amukamara, Daniel, Massie, Leno, and Burton go. We need to get younger and cheaper. Those moves will help a lot. We re-sign the core guys and try to get some extra picks through trades.

On 10/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, Bill said:

You're far too generous...   Defense is a D.  They were smacked around like fools.  And then, as far too often, give up an uber long drive for a TD.  They cannot be considered great until they actually make a stop when it counts.  At least Lovie's D did that.  

2 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

You're far too generous...   Defense is a D.  They were smacked around like fools.  And then, as far too often, give up an uber long drive for a TD.  They cannot be considered great until they actually make a stop when it counts.  At least Lovie's D did that.  

The bend but not break D. Gave up yards to they got in the redzone but had many goal line stances

19 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

Oh man, you are being hard on them. They have a bunch of injuries and have kept us in every game. We are 0-5 with an average defense. They are a top 5 defense playing with a bottom 5 offense. Eventually, they are going to let up some points. Even the vaunted 85 defense did.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Oh man, you are being hard on them. They have a bunch of injuries and have kept us in every game. We are 0-5 with an average defense. They are a top 5 defense playing with a bottom 5 offense. Eventually, they are going to let up some points. Even the vaunted 85 defense did.

Just grading them on last week...   But the continual give up of long TD drives late in games is extremely concerning.