O-Line contracts

adam

Oh boy, this was seen as a positive before the season and now looks like a boat anchor on the Titanic.

1. Leno, signed through the 2021 season with cap hits of $3.3M this year, $10.3M in 2020, and $11.3M in 2021. Dead money of over $5M a year makes him borderline uncuttable. Based on what he was earning before this contract, you have to think some of the performance downturn has to do with him getting all this money and getting lazy. His first full contract total earned him just over $2M and he got 7 times that in a signing bonus in his new contract. Feels like a huge overpay now.

2. Massie. For some reason Pace thought it was a good idea to lock him up until he was 33. I was not a fan. Massie has cap hits of $3.8, $8.3, $9.3, and $9.4 through 2022. So next year our bad bookend turnstiles will cost the team $18.6M and in 2021 a whopping $20.6M (ouch). Unlike Leno, at least the team has some wiggle room with Massie and can get out of his contract a little easier ($2.6M in dead money in 2021 and only $1.3M in dead money in 2022). So at worst, we are stuck with both of these underachievers for another season.

3. Long - Set to earn $9.6M in 2020 if team accepts club option in March. I assume they won't and will use that cap space elsewhere.

4. Whitehair - Just signed that long deal and is locked up thru 2024, his cap peaks at $12.2M in 2023. Not much to say here except maybe a move back to Center would help the offense get going again.

5. Daniels - I forgot he was so young (only 22), which gives me hope that he can turn it around. He is signed thru 2021 on his rookie deal. So I would expect him to take Massie's money in a new deal in 2022 with the team eating some dead money to move on from Massie.

6. Coward - On a one-year league-minimum deal. Only 24 years old, I wouldn't mind locking him up a for a few years. He has a lot of potential.

7. Larsen - On a one-year $1M deal. At 32 yrs old, seems like he has something left in the tank. I wouldn't mind keeping him around as a backup.

8. Bars - They just elevated his contract to the rookie minimum from PS minimum ($136k to $495k) so he could end up on the active roster by the end of the season. I see him eventually starting or pushing for a starting spot.

All in all, it looks like Long will not be with the team next year, but the other 4 starters will be on the team together (unless traded) for the next 2 seasons (2020 and 2021), which can't be seen as a positive at this point. Leno is 28 and Massie is 30. Leno might have some trade value but I don't see it. Pace has really made it difficult to improve one of the weakest units on the roster, and the team has a lot of cap space invested with very little flexibility.

I thought at the time that  we had at the least a seviceable Oline for the next three years.  It looks they were as wrong as I was.  Perhaps Heisted can work things out but it is not looking good so fat this year.  Long will be gone and it looks like Bars will be starting at least next year.   And I'm sorry but Bar turned down a contract with New England to stay here.  My understanding is if they sign someone off the practice squad they must but them on the 53.  Maybe he's not as smart as I want an ofline player to be? 

42 minutes ago, Bill said:

I thought at the time that  we had at the least a seviceable Oline for the next three years.  It looks they were as wrong as I was.  Perhaps Heisted can work things out but it is not looking good so fat this year.  Long will be gone and it looks like Bars will be starting at least next year.   And I'm sorry but Bar turned down a contract with New England to stay here.  My understanding is if they sign someone off the practice squad they must but them on the 53.  Maybe he's not as smart as I want an ofline player to be? 

I think Bars was tied to Heistand (and probably the potential to start sooner) than going to NE and potentially never seeing the active roster.

12 hours ago, adam said:

I think Bars was tied to Heistand (and probably the potential to start sooner) than going to NE and potentially never seeing the active roster.

If you sign a player off one teams practice squad you have sign them to the 53 as I understand it.