Upon further review

adam

I am going through ALL-22 view on NFL GamePass and holy crap the Officials let the Raiders get away with murder. If Leno is going to get called for holding like he has, yet the Raiders could do what they did on every play, we are screwed. I have no clue why the Raiders were not called more, especially when some of the holds were blatant and right at the point of attack. Also, the chop blocks are crazy. I am going to try to get a count of chop blocks for the game.

1st Quarter
1. 3rd and 1, FB runs for 3. Two different offensive linemen leave their feet and dive forward at the knees of defenders (RT and C) right in front of ball carrier. 2 chops.
2. Next play, 1st and 10, Jacobs only gets a yard, but he runs right behind Waller who is mugging Mack. Jacobs changes direction behind Waller and he holds Mack again (which is impressive, but a penalty - no call).
3. 2nd and 1, Jacobs to the right for 4 yards. RRH chop blocked and Waller holding Floyd right where the play is going. Chop block was not a penalty because RRH was not engaged, but the holding should've been called as it prevented Floyd from getting to the hole. 1 chop
4. 3rd and 1, Jacobs with a 21 yard gain to the left. This play had multiple missed calls, which is frustrating because it got OAK out of trouble. On this play Goldman is chopped illegally by the RG when he was still engaged with the Center (no call). The RG makes no attempt to block, just dives right at Goldman's knees (super dangerous play). On the same play Mack is having his arm locked/held by the RT at the point of attack. Then to add insult to injury Trevathan is chopped 3 yards downfield by the Center. Two easy penalties and two dangerous plays, no call. 21 yard gain and a new set of downs. 2 chops.
5. 2nd an 9, Washington runs for 3 yards to the right. RRH is immediately chopped by the LG and RRH still makes the play. Not a penalty, but another dangerous play. 1 chop.
6. 1st and 10, Richard 9 yard run to the right. This one pisses me off. Floyd gets chopped right off the bat and Trevathan is held right by the LG right next to Richard preventing Trevathan from getting to that gap. He probably still gains a few yards, but not 9 without the hold. 1 chop
7. 2nd and 1, Richard 5 yad run to the right. Harris held by LT, but Harris' effort makes Richard stop his feet.

So in the first quarter, the Raiders dove at the knees of Bears defenders 7 times. 

Man, I had to stop on the Jacobs first TD, the first play of the 2nd quarter. There really is no point to go further. Goldman is completely engaged with the Center and is chopped by the RG. Clearly a penalty and again super dangerous. No call. Mack is chopped blocked (legally) and the reason why Smith has his back to Jacobs is because he is being mugged by the Center and then the Center releases him right before Jacobs runs by. Super frustrating.

You’ll probably drive yourself crazy trying to legitimize the outcome of that game. I’m sure there are a few New Orleans fans still sitting in the looney bin trying to sort out last years’ infamous non-call.  But yeah, the fact that Mack suddenly wasn’t able to do anything should be enough evidence something wasn’t right.  

For what’s it worth I didn’t like the unsportsmanlike call on the slamming of Bear’s QB Daniel as much as I didn’t like the call on KPLs ‘running into the kicker’.  But sometimes I wonder if the refs try to make up for their mistakes by ‘offsetting’ penalties later on.  

Frankly and generally speaking though, this year has been about the worst I’ve seen in officiating.  In just about every snap of the ball there is a yellow flag thrown for something . And in a lot of cases the refs stand around talking about the call as if they don’t know they should have done it.  And in as many cases they seem to be missing stuff they shouldn’t be, as you pointed out.  It’s all getting pretty ridiculous.  It’s enough to where I’m beginning to lose interest in watching.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

You’ll probably drive yourself crazy trying to legitimize the outcome of that game. I’m sure there are a few New Orleans fans still sitting in the looney bin trying to sort out last years’ infamous non-call.  But yeah, the fact that Mack suddenly wasn’t able to do anything should be enough evidence something wasn’t right.  

For what’s it worth I didn’t like the unsportsmanlike call on the slamming of Bear’s QB Daniel as much as I didn’t like the call on KPLs ‘running into the kicker’.  But sometimes I wonder if the refs try to make up for their mistakes by ‘offsetting’ penalties later on.  

Frankly and generally speaking though, this year has been about the worst I’ve seen in officiating.  In just about every snap of the ball there is a yellow flag thrown for something . And in a lot of cases the refs stand around talking about the call as if they don’t know they should have done it.  And in as many cases they seem to be missing stuff they shouldn’t be, as you pointed out.  It’s all getting pretty ridiculous.  It’s enough to where I’m beginning to lose interest in watching.  

I agree. I was just looking back at the tape to see if I could figure out what was wrong with the offensive line and started seeing all the chop blocks against the defense.

You are right about the officiating. The pass interference stuff is crazier than ever and there is no consistency in the calls. They either need to call everything or keep the flags in the pockets. Seattle and the Legion of Boom thrived off penalties. They figured out that they could get away with more if they constantly did the same thing over and over. Even though they would take a few penalties early on, that eventually, the refs would stop calling it. Gruden made a conscious effort to chop block the Bears defenders to the point that they were not engaging until 2-3 yards into the play in fear of getting rolled up.