2nd and 3rd Round RB's - 2019 Draft

adam

Jacobs was the consensus #1 RB coming out, but then there was the group of Sanders, Henderson, Montgomery, and Singletary all lumped together as 2nd-3rd rounders. The last 3 came off the board within 5 picks of each other in the early 3rd round and Sanders went #53 in the 2nd (17 before Henderson).

So thru Week 5, here is what they look like:

Sanders 54-193, 3.57 YPC, 0 TD, 10-133, 0 TD
Henderson 1-0, 0 TD
Montgomery 69-225, 3.26 YPC, 2 TD, 9-72, 0 TD
Singletary 10-127, 12.7 YPC, 1 TD, 5-28, 0 TD

Singletary has only played in two games but has had 7 runs of 10 yards or longer. The fact that he only has 10 carries and has only played in two games is concerning. It seems like he has a pretty high ceiling but with durability issues this early doesn't look promising.

Some people liked Henderson over Montgomery, yet he has only 1 carry on the season. He might get more chances this week but you would think you would want your 3rd Round pick to have some carries thru 5 weeks. 

That leaves Montgomery vs Sanders. For how bad the Bears O-Line has been, I would've thought Montgomery's numbers would've been way worse than Sanders', but they're not that fair off. Sanders has yet to score a TD (Howard has 5), and Howard has a better YPC than him (4.7 to 3.6), and their carries are basically 50/50 on the same team. Monty has 2 TDs and has seemed to have worked much harder for his yards.

So even with how bad our offense has been, Montgomery looks like the right pick there. Henderson may turn out to be something, but his lack of use and relegation to the 3rd and 4th string seems odd. Singletary showed some flashes but I don't know if he will be able to handle a full-time workload, and Sanders has been better pass-catching than running the ball. 

We play both PHI and LAR this year, so we will see first hand how these RBs look.

On 10/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, adam said:

Sanders has yet to score a TD (Howard has 5), and Howard has a better YPC than him (4.7 to 3.6), and their carries are basically 50/50 on the same team. Monty has 2 TDs and has seemed to have worked much harder for his yards.

You said it right there.  Sanders and Howard are splitting carries hence why Sanders’ numbers are less than Montgomery’s.  Who is Montgomery splitting time with?  He’s essentially it and has those numbers. If he had a running back of Howard’s caliber on the team I’d bet his would be much better. 

47 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

You said it right there.  Sanders and Howard are splitting carries hence why Sanders’ numbers are less than Montgomery’s.  Who is Montgomery splitting time with?  He’s essentially it and has those numbers. If he had a running back of Howard’s caliber on the team I’d bet his would be much better. 

Philly's O-Line is a top 5 unit and ours is bottom 5. Howard would be lucky to have 2.0 YPC behind how our line has looked thru 5 games. Just considering that huge difference, it is easy to see that Montgomery is the best back out of the bunch, followed by Howard, then Sanders. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Were you able to find a site that shows this?  I was looking for this information a week or so ago and couldn’t find anything. All I could find was references to last years oline performance. 

This one has some O-Line ranks broken down by various stats: 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

PHI is 3rd in Power Runs and 1st when they run between C and G. They are also 10th in pass blocking. In comparison, the Bears are 31st in Power Runs, and are 27th or worse in 3 of 5 running areas. 66% of our runs are Mid/Guard and we are 27th in that area. Our best is off the LT, where we are 10th, but only have 8% of our runs there (which is 8 total carries for the season - so small sample size). So PHI may be more like 5-10 range, but we are still 25th or worse as a unit.

Again for me the eye test.  Montgomery seems to be getting hit at the LOS just like Howard was last year.  The main difference between the two is Montgomery seems to fall forward and make something out of nothing.  Jacobs is running behind a massive offense line.  I like Montgomery for this team better than Howard but he needs the OF line to start opening some holes so he can get to the 2nd level.  The same for Cohen, they can't always make something out of nothing.

Just goes to show the deficiency of the team.  A little of Long not being the same, Leno maybe a little lazy, and Daniel's learning the ropes.  If Long and Leno were strong points, we can live a little waiting in Daniel's. If we can revive the line with IR-ing Long, maybe we can salvage the season.  Have to have a strong run game whether you do it with screens and short passes or actually can pound the ball.  Montgomery doesn't go down first contact, he gets the space he can be our guy.