Best QB of 2017 Draft Bowl

adam

Watson vs Mahomes in KC.

Watson wins the game but throws 2 INTs and 1 TD, but runs for 2 more. He ends up with a 77.5 QB Rating. 

Mahomes only has 54.3% Completion %, throws for 3 TDs, but also has 1 INT and 1 fumble lost. He ends up with a 96.5 QB Rating. Two of Mahomes' passes accounted for a 1/3 of his yards, so his remaining 17 completions went for 175.

The biggest difference was Watson had a running game, Hyde had 26 carries for 116 yards. 

Neither QB had a 300-yard game, which is actually shocking based on their averages. KC has lost two straight at home; when is the last time that happened?

Mahomes had a crazy throw deep into double coverage, but somehow Hill came down with it and stretched out for the TD. If Trubisky throws that, its a great catch by the receiver. If it is intercepted, it is a bonehead decision. Lol.

These guys are definitely better than Trubisky, but I didn't see that many wow plays like the media makes them out to be. I don't think Trubisky is that far off these guys as long as he has some consistent O-Line play. Hopefully that comes sooner than later. 

"These guys are definitely better than Trubisky, but I didn't see that many wow plays like the media makes them out to be. I don't think Trubisky is that far off these guys as long as he has some consistent O-Line play. Hopefully that comes sooner than later."

I have to greatly disagree.  I just don't see Mitch making any plays like these two can.  And most of all when their line play breaks down.  He locks on to his receiver or just does not make the med range to long range pass with any consistency.  He just does not have the command of the offense that Watson and Mahomes have at this point.  I would swap either for Mitch.  And maybe another dozen QB's in the league.  I don't want to bash him.  And of course I'm the last person anyone would ask to evaluate any of them.  But I just have not seen anything that would of made me pick him above either in the draft.  And that's before they were drafted.  Someone would have to break down tape and their interviews to convince me he was a better prospect.  But he's the Bears QB for the foreseeable future and I hope the light goes on and I'm wrong.  Because I think it's all in his head.  He has all the physical tools.  

I think a lot of the mental breakdown you see from Trubisky is because he doesnt feel comfortable in the pocket due to the OL play too.

He isnt progressing as he should, but its not all because of him. Still, he isnt progressing, so it IS him in the end, but Im starting to think the path out of this isnt a new QB but new OL talent, which is easier to address in the offseason than a new franchise QB would be.

That said, after a few more weeks of him, I might be really fed up.

Chase looked good before a team could prep for him. The NFL is tough, people are paid well to exploit any weaknesses.  I think all our QBs have been exposed. 

I really liked Watson, thought he'd be the next Russell Wilson, but injury would have been a negative thought.  Mahomes was a wild card, liked he had professional athlete family. Mitch was a one year wonder at NC, but he has traits to grow.  Just having a hard time seeing it since we haven't had a chance to experience it. 

Watson was my choice and it still burns me that we didn't select him. I think Mahomes is great but so many of his plays are to wide open receivers or where the receivers make ridiculous catches. That formula seems like it will eventually dry up. I would probably take Watson over Mahomes even today. I like Watson's mobility and if he can add 5-10 lbs onto his frame and keep his quickness, he will only be that much better.

Trubisky is definitely #3 in the 2017 draft, and we are going to see these comparisons ad nauseam for the next 15 years unless Trubisky improves or we get a new QB.

I wanted Watson because he was a proven winner. Mahomes I chalked up to the AIR Raid system and no one has been successful in the NFL coming out of TT.

Today Im going Mahomes all day.

I could go on for hours about Mitch but wont waste my time. I hope the Light Bulbs turns on and he figures it out because right now it looks to be all mental and not physical. Point that its mental...… The scramble throw to the right side of the Endzone to Taylor. He had no time to think, he moved in the pocket and started running right, saw Taylor going up the sideline and ripped a great pass for a TD. If he has time he overthinks the throw and sometimes over throws or under throws. he's trying to be too perfect.  

2 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Watson was my choice too. I was so excited when we traded up to 2 because I felt it had to be Watson. I was disappointed when it wasn’t but decided to back MT because he’s who my team has for the foreseeable future. At this point I’m not sure how much I can back him going forward.

I was exactly the way, I was stoked that we were about to select Watson and then heard Mitch's name. I have backed him so far and will continue to but the writing is on the wall, it's Year 3, if I had that many years to learn my job I would unemployed. 

1 hour ago, Chitownhustla said:

I wanted Watson because he was a proven winner. Mahomes I chalked up to the AIR Raid system and no one has been successful in the NFL coming out of TT.

Today Im going Mahomes all day.

I could go on for hours about Mitch but wont waste my time. I hope the Light Bulbs turns on and he figures it out because right now it looks to be all mental and not physical. Point that its mental...… The scramble throw to the right side of the Endzone to Taylor. He had no time to think, he moved in the pocket and started running right, saw Taylor going up the sideline and ripped a great pass for a TD. If he has time he overthinks the throw and sometimes over throws or under throws. he's trying to be too perfect.  

For Trubisky, it also seems like he is not trusting what he is seeing, which leads to delayed or bad decisions.

Week 7 QB Stats:

Franchise QB level: Trubisky 251 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 86.3 QB Rating
Starter: Watson 1 TD, 2 INT, 81.5 QB Rating
Career Backup: Mahomes 76 yards, 1 TD

Trubisky had the most TD passes of the three (actually had as many as Mahomes and Watson combined), had 0 INTs and the 2nd best passing yards and QB Rating for the week. He also didn't get hurt like the weakling Mahomes. Watson got sacked 3 times, Trubisky only twice, so Watson had 33% more sacks than Trubisky.

What are your thoughts of MT and the teams final two or three series against the Saints?  They seemed to click better with a sense of urgency and they produced.  I know the Saints were in a prevent D more so, but maybe they learned something in those moments. I wish they came out like that instead of waiting until they were humiliated at home.

20 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

What are your thoughts of MT and the teams final two or three series against the Saints?  They seemed to click better with a sense of urgency and they produced.  I know the Saints were in a prevent D more so, but maybe they learned something in those moments. I wish they came out like that instead of waiting until they were humiliated at home.

My thoughts are whatever training wheels Nagy has put on this offense he needs to take them off and let them play.  People complained about Mitch after the GB game but looking back on it he was moving the offense quite often.   Penalties and whatnot killed the drives.    So what if we fall down once or twice (i.e. INT), we already do that with a 3 and out.  Trubisky is at his best improvising and lately he just sits in the pocket.  Injury or not you have to play the game.  FWIW I think AMiller will show up more so when Mitch gets off the script as he's already half off the script.    

41 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

On MT specifically:  he needs to know when he hits the 5th step of his drop that he's either firing or already looking elsewhere.  If he picks up his mental rhythm,  he can eventually hit some throws.  There are throws you can make to a covered receiver that we see made all the time that he is not attempting.  Always remember, the recover has the advantage.  It's almost like he needs an ego.  Stop playing scared or he's going to play himself out of a job.  

57 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

My thoughts are whatever training wheels Nagy has put on this offense he needs to take them off and let them play.  People complained about Mitch after the GB game but looking back on it he was moving the offense quite often.   Penalties and whatnot killed the drives.    So what if we fall down once or twice (i.e. INT), we already do that with a 3 and out.  Trubisky is at his best improvising and lately he just sits in the pocket.  Injury or not you have to play the game.  FWIW I think AMiller will show up more so when Mitch gets off the script as he's already half off the script.    

Then I read that Nagy said those final drives didn't matter because it was garbage time.  He should have just ran the ball 3 times and punted if that was his thinking. I hope he doesn't lose the players because it is starting to feel that way. 

4 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Then I read that Nagy said those final drives didn't matter because it was garbage time.  He should have just ran the ball 3 times and punted if that was his thinking. I hope he doesn't lose the players because it is starting to feel that way. 

I think what he meant was that he isn't calling that a silver lining. He obviously agrees with you in that he called those plays. He's saying the offense doesnt deserve credit for them because the Saints were in a big zone and letting the Bears move the ball and chew time off of the clock.

This is also why our defense looks bad at the end of games where we are ahead.

I mean, before this new era where theyre just gassed because theyre on the field for 40+ minutes a game.

Without any risk of a running game or just Cohen running laterally, the defense can play all their non-rushing defenders within a range of 3-15yds which is the time it takes for their first rusher to pressure Trubisky. So without a good pocket/protection, there are very few places to go with the ball. I have seen teams rush 3 and drop 8, and still get pressure. If you are only sending 3-4 guys into routes, how the hell are you supposed to find an opening when every receiver is literally bracketed two to one?

The way Trubisky was moving his feet, he was super concerned about taking a hit or landing on his left shoulder. I know on one of the sacks he landed on his throwing shoulder, so he was clearly avoiding the contact.