“Nincompoops” abound!!!

Alaskan Grizzly

My pouting is over..if only momentary.  I couldn’t stay away from this board indefinitely especially when I see Adam (and a few others) and I are agreeing on nearly everything going on with the Bears right now.  And when I saw this article (below) from players past and their ... let’s say no-nonsense... response to yesterday’s game. I knew I wasn’t alone in my utter frustration!  They speak my language.   

Still can’t say I’ll watch anymore games this year.  

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-cb-chicago-bears-winners-losers-ed-obradovich-rosenthal-20191104-i3o3q7jscrf6bdm63ret3uhhra-story.html

51 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'm sure he only called that because he has no confidence in Mitch

Maybe it was the six near goal line tries and failures right before halftime against the Chargers last week.  And just to recap that series of plays, here’s what happened (source Yahoo Sports):

* Montgomery ran for no gain on first down.

• Cordarrelle Patterson caught a 1-yard pass on second down.

• Mitchell Trubisky threw an incomplete pass to Allen Robinson on third down. A flag was thrown for defensive pass interference, setting up the Bears with a fresh set of downs from the 2-yard line.

• Trubisky threw an incomplete pass on first down.

• Montgomery ran for 1 yard on second down.

• Trubisky spiked the ball on third down.

Four of those six attempts were by Trubisky.  None of which were any more than a one yard gain.  

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Maybe it was the six near goal line tries and failures right before halftime against the Chargers last week.  And just to recap that series of plays, here’s what happened (source Yahoo Sports):

• Mitchell Trubisky threw an incomplete pass to Allen Robinson on third down. A flag was thrown for defensive pass interference, setting up the Bears with a fresh set of downs from the 2-yard line.

Four of those six attempts were by Trubisky.  None of which were any more than a one yard gain.  

Just run Montgomery 4 times in the I-formation. You will eventually get 2 yards.

Running Cohen up the middle is absurd at the goal line.

Team has issues at every level. Management/GM roster construction questionable, went all in and lost. Coach is a suspect playcaller and is not enough of a disciplinarian and Fangio may have quelled some of that last year since the players knew he wouldn't let them get away with BS. Players assuming they were already there and didn't need to put the extra work in.

All this equals a recipe for disaster like we are seeing. Same in CLE. Preseason hype and zero results. Both CLE and CHI passed on Mahomes and Watson.

Agree on all points.

Heck, I’d even try running Patterson up the middle due to his sheer size.  

Last week when they were on the goaline my wife asked me what I thought they were going to do.  I said they should run Mack up the middle; you know he’d make it in and it might have raised the morale on the defensive side of the ball.  

Or ended his season early.  :huh:

19 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

My pouting is over..if only momentary.  I couldn’t stay away from this board indefinitely especially when I see Adam (and a few others) and I are agreeing on nearly everything going on with the Bears right now.  And when I saw this article (below) from players past and their ... let’s say no-nonsense... response to yesterday’s game. I knew I wasn’t alone in my utter frustration!  They speak my language.   

Still can’t say I’ll watch anymore games this year.  

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-cb-chicago-bears-winners-losers-ed-obradovich-rosenthal-20191104-i3o3q7jscrf6bdm63ret3uhhra-story.html

I miss Doug Buffone...   I hear ya.  I still will watch because I want to see how Monty does despite getting no love from Visor-boy.  I used to like watching this D, but they are starting to phone it in.  

6 hours ago, adam said:

Just run Montgomery 4 times in the I-formation. You will eventually get 2 yards.

Running Cohen up the middle is absurd at the goal line.

Team has issues at every level. Management/GM roster construction questionable, went all in and lost. Coach is a suspect playcaller and is not enough of a disciplinarian and Fangio may have quelled some of that last year since the players knew he wouldn't let them get away with BS. Players assuming they were already there and didn't need to put the extra work in.

All this equals a recipe for disaster like we are seeing. Same in CLE. Preseason hype and zero results. Both CLE and CHI passed on Mahomes and Watson.

Bingo!  Last year was the exception.  Pace is on track for 4 losing seasons out of 5.  That sh%7 would get my a$$ fired...

18 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Wow, I'm not the only one who sees the Matt Nagy issues.    Tarik Cohen up the middle at the goal line.   I'm sure he only called that because he has no confidence in Mitch.   

No you are not. The play calling is absolutely horrendous. I can't put all of the blame on him though, but he gets a ton of it.  Mitch is broken and while part of that is on his shoulders as well and he is absolutely responsible for his play...his head coach (a so called QB whisperer) has done nothing to support him...at all.  Boggles my mind.  

Nagy had a 12-4 record last year, then lost in the playoffs to end the season at 12-5. This season he is 3-5, down to 15-10 overall. Just say we go 3-5 the rest of the way (which is being generous), that would put this year's record at 6-10 and his overall record at 18-15. 

The offense was bad last year, but was masked by all the defensive turnovers and short fields. We have half as many turnovers thru 8 games this year and it shows in the game scores. 

Nagy has effectively neutered this offense to the point that all teams have to do is go man on the outside and have 9 in the box to guard against the run and any pass within 5 yards. It seems like most of Nagy's pass plays are these short 5-7 yard curls which make it incredibly easy to defend both the run and pass at the same time. With how bad the offensive line is and Trubisky's decision making and accuracy issues, nothing works.

The only time we get going is when teams back off into zone or Cover 2. It opens up the seam and some intermediate throws. The team has to find a way to exploit the defense when they have 8-9 defenders within 5 yards of the LOS and between the hashes. That have yet to do that.

37 minutes ago, adam said:

Nagy has effectively neutered this offense to the point that all teams have to do is go man on the outside and have 9 in the box to guard against the run and any pass within 5 yards. It seems like most of Nagy's pass plays are these short 5-7 yard curls which make it incredibly easy to defend both the run and pass at the same time. With how bad the offensive line is and Trubisky's decision making and accuracy issues, nothing works.

The only time we get going is when teams back off into zone or Cover 2. It opens up the seam and some intermediate throws. The team has to find a way to exploit the defense when they have 8-9 defenders within 5 yards of the LOS and between the hashes. That have yet to do that.

exactly.

and he runs from shotgun with too many pulling blockers. When you put 9 in the box, it doesnt matter if the OL is moving all over the place - you just stay put and fill your gap and its over.

it's not like you get trapped, because you dont NEED to pass rush so much. You can stay home a bit.

That's how you neutralize all of Nagys trickery - you just let em all run around in front of you and then make the tackle after the ballet is over.

If the Bears could punish defenses with a middle and long passing game or a power running game for doing that THEN maybe the tricks would work. But without either, the defnese just stays at home and cleans up the garbage.

29 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

exactly.

and he runs from shotgun with too many pulling blockers. When you put 9 in the box, it doesnt matter if the OL is moving all over the place - you just stay put and fill your gap and its over.

it's not like you get trapped, because you dont NEED to pass rush so much. You can stay home a bit.

That's how you neutralize all of Nagys trickery - you just let em all run around in front of you and then make the tackle after the ballet is over.

If the Bears could punish defenses with a middle and long passing game or a power running game for doing that THEN maybe the tricks would work. But without either, the defnese just stays at home and cleans up the garbage.

Nagy doesn't even know how to design good rushing concepts.  The blocking schemes used and the run designs are just horrific.  

46 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Nagy doesn't even know how to design good rushing concepts.  The blocking schemes used and the run designs are just horrific.  

agree.

Fire Nagy today, and replace him with Pagano or Childress and see if we can salvage anything else from this team.

If Nagy wants we can have a pizza dance party int he locker room with grape juice to say goodbye.

5 hours ago, adam said:

Nagy had a 12-4 record last year, then lost in the playoffs to end the season at 12-5. This season he is 3-5, down to 15-10 overall. Just say we go 3-5 the rest of the way (which is being generous), that would put this year's record at 6-10 and his overall record at 18-15. 

The offense was bad last year, but was masked by all the defensive turnovers and short fields. We have half as many turnovers thru 8 games this year and it shows in the game scores. 

Seems like we need a good TE and we might get that groove back.  Again, Nagy has to call plays recognizing he doesn't have that player on the roster right now with Burton still working his way back from injury.  

22 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

You blame Trubisky for the WR screen call ..that's a zero read play.   Just throw the ball as quick as you can.  Then the spiking of the ball?  If the PI is legit then it's fair to say it interfered with the play and disrupts the timing.  However, I can't remember that play in particular but I believe at least one of those Trubisky passes was a bad throw, if not both so he's a part of the issue too. 

Regardless, I'm in broken record mode because venting is at least making me feel better:  IF Mitch is the problem why is Nagy giving him the reigns to the offense in a close game at the goal line when he has frickin' David tackle-breaking Montgomery on the roster?   If you want to do the cute WR screen why not do that with David tackle-breaking Montgomery out of the backfield?   If you want to give Mitch a shot to pass why not do it off play action with a run fake to (you guessed it) David tackle-breaking Montgomery?  

I freely admit my bias here since I'm an Iowa State alum.

57 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

IF Mitch is the problem why is Nagy giving him the reigns to the offense in a close game at the goal line when he has frickin' David tackle-breaking Montgomery on the roster? 

Who knows, maybe he thought giving him a chance to convert a score would boost his self-confidence? Maybe Mitch audibled out of a run-design play?  Why did Pete Carroll have Russel Wilson throw for the go ahead TD in the SB when he had Marshawn “Beastmode, himself a tackle breaking machine” Lynch in the backfield? Coaches do weird things at inopportune times. 

Don’t stop venting, even if you are repeating yourself.  It’s cathartic and better than drinking into oblivion.  😎👍

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Seems like we need a good TE and we might get that groove back.  Again, Nagy has to call plays recognizing he doesn't have that player on the roster right now with Burton still working his way back from injury.  

I do agree the lack of a good (heck even mediocre TE) is a huge hinderance in this offense. You think of a QB's best friends and its a TE and a running game. Bears have none of them (including zero committment to even trying a running game).  Only time they did and Mitch had a pretty good game (albeit didn't convert red zone trips to TD's and had a bad 4th quarter pick/fumble).