Why you cant fire Pace this year

BearFan PHX

You cant fire Pace this year.

Without a first round draft pick, you cannot entice a good GM to come here.

We need to dig out of the Mack trade hole before someone else would hitch their star to this team, so Pace is almost certainly secure for one more year.

And you cant really bring in a coach of any quality when your GM has one year left either.

So Pace and Nagy stay, or Pace fires Nagy and promotes from within.

Then, after next year, anything is possible.

I'm so angry we are here. And there is a lot of blame to go around, but I think Nagy deserves the most, followed by Trubisky - and therefore Pace.

I disagree.  The McCaskey's won't fire Pace, but they certainly could and probably should.  I would imagine there are a ton of guys that would gladly take this job.  You get a 1st round pick the following year.  Most GM's don't draft great their first year in.  Their guys haven't been in place.  Take the gamble now.   Get your team in place, and draft in the first round next year.  The GM needs to just get a competent veteran back-up.  Draft a potential back-up/long-shot starter QB.  Obtain a competent TE somewhere.  The D is good enough right now.  

I'd say same w/ the coach.  If we go off the rails, as much as the McCaskey's love Nagy....if it gets Trestman bad, you most certainly can fire him.  Hire Dave Toub.

That said, we will stand pat, and let the 3 stooges continue.  But, it can (and probably should) be done.

3 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

It IS Trestman bad right now.

No.  With Trestman we gave up 50+ points to games in a row. Trestman didn't have a winning season. Trestman's offensive coordinator threw his QB under the bus.  

It's bad but it's not Trestman bad. 

Peace

This year is Trestman bad. The defense is solid I agree. But the offense is absolutely as bad as any ever.

At least Trestman could say that he was an offensive coach, and the defense wasnt his fault. Nagy runs the offense and calls the plays.

He is not stupid, he is WAY too cute. Run the ball from under center with a "block the guy in front of you" plan. If you dont do that, all the counters to that dont work.

These double trap runs from shotgun are not the basis of a running game.

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

No.  With Trestman we gave up 50+ points to games in a row. Trestman didn't have a winning season. Trestman's offensive coordinator threw his QB under the bus.  

It's bad but it's not Trestman bad. 

Peace

This is Trestman level bad on offense, with an offensive minded coach. At least Trestman could put up points with Cutler, Jeffery and Marshall. Nagy can't even build a functional offense. Regardless of the defensive talent, Pace and Nagy need to go. The Bears have 3-4 defensive personnel, so at the very least the next GM and coach need to be 3-4 guys. 

How about a seasoned coach who knows how to take a great defense to the Superbowl?

Make that two Superbowls.

🤔...John 🦊 😎

Seriously, let Nagy and Pace grind this out.  They are both young and talented.  The ego bruising should season them well.  But, Foxy could be brought on as a consultant to help stabilize and correct what can be.

Here is the dilemma, what has anyone seen over the last 9 games (going back to playoff game) that would give you any hope that things will change? I honestly cannot think of one facet of this team that has improved since last year. Pace gambled with Trubisky, Shaheen, Miller, and Mack and lost. He should be held accountable. It takes 3 years to completely revamp a team, this is now Year 5 for Pace. In Year 5 with Angelo we made the playoffs and in Year 6 we lost the SB. It was Lovie's reluctance to change QBs that cost us that game. Still kills me to this day. Angelo's last season was 2011 and he finished with a 95-81 record (4x Division titles, 1 SB appearance, and 2 NFCC appearances) in 11 seasons.

Emery followed Angelo and in 3 seasons compiled a 23-25 record before he was fired. Pace is 29-43 into his 5th season. This does not compute. If Emery is fired for going 23-25, why does Pace get a free pass for a 32-48 record with 4 last-place finishes in 5 seasons? You have to fire him for that.

Which players have improved their game from last year to this year? ARob? O'Donnell? Maybe 2. A few are the same (Whitehair, Trevathan, Mack, Goldman, Nichols, RRH, Prince).

How many players have regressed since last year? Massie, Leno, Daniels, Trubisky, Cohen, Shaheen, Burton, Miller, Floyd, Smith, Fuller, Jackson? At least half of the starters are worse this year than last year. That alone is 2-3 games. Then add injuries: Hicks, Daniels, Long, Trubisky, and there is another game or two lost. 

On offense, we literally added Montgomery and Coward and lost Howard and Long. That's it and we are this much worse than last year. On defense, outside of the Hicks injury, we replaced Amos and Callahan with HaHa and Skrine. The crazy part is HaHa and Skrine have actually been the most consistent players on defense after Mack and Trevathan. 

So we essentially replaced 4 total starters on offense and defense, and we are this bad. 

The team just needs to bench, cut, or put players on IR that are not performing for whatever reason. Just cut Lurch and bring up Horsted. Put Burton on IR and let him get his vagina operated on, bring up Raymond or Sowell. Put Trubisky on IR, let him get shoulder surgery and watch (and learn) the rest of the games from the box. Let Helfrich or Ragone take over play-calling duties so Nagy can worry about time management and challenges. 

Nagy is a guy Reid didn't give playcalling to until the last couple games. ANd he cost them a playoff game because he... abandoned the run.

Last year he didnt get the running game going remember?

This year there is no running game.

Pace can stay. He's made some mistakes, but I like him.

I think Nagy has to be done. So I think you promote from within.

Fire Nagy now, let Pagano take over as head coach, and give Helfrich a shot at calling the offense. ANd he can try Trubisky, and/or switch to Daniel as he prefers with no pressure.

4 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Nagy is a guy Reid didn't give playcalling to until the last couple games. ANd he cost them a playoff game because he... abandoned the run.

Last year he didnt get the running game going remember?

This year there is no running game.

Pace can stay. He's made some mistakes, but I like him.

I think Nagy has to be done. So I think you promote from within.

Fire Nagy now, let Pagano take over as head coach, and give Helfrich a shot at calling the offense.

The reality is Nagy needs someone who is going to push him and help him with the concepts he struggles at.  He needs to relinquish some of the rains...but Helfrich isn't the guy...Childress probably could do it.  

2 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

The reality is Nagy needs someone who is going to push him and help him with the concepts he struggles at.  He needs to relinquish some of the rains...but Helfrich isn't the guy...Childress probably could do it.  

No I mean get rid of Nagy entirely.

If you want to promote Childress in Nagy's place that's cool too.

5 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Fire Nagy now, let Pagano take over as head coach, and give Helfrich a shot at calling the offense. ANd he can try Trubisky, and/or switch to Daniel as he prefers with no pressure.

Agree nearly 💯.  I’ll admit I like Nagy and the ‘family’ mentality he brought to the team but that will only get you so far. Especially when you have a hard time fixing what you know is broke; IE: sending out Daniel in place of Trubiksy oat the risk of knowing you may hurt some feelings.  (Or maybe you don’t do it because Pace says he doesn’t want to be embarrassed by HIS pick failing...whatever). 

But with regards to making changes now, one of them making Pagano HC makes it possible (however unlikely) to bring back Fangio if he’s fired from Denver next year.  And maybe ... just maybe... he has an inside track in talking Luck into coming out of retitement.  

11 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Agree nearly 💯.  I’ll admit I like Nagy and the ‘family’ mentality he brought to the team but that will only get you so far. Especially when you have a hard time fixing what you know is broke; IE: sending out Daniel in place of Trubiksy oat the risk of knowing you may hurt some feelings.  (Or maybe you don’t do it because Pace says he doesn’t want to be embarrassed by HIS pick failing...whatever). 

But with regards to making changes now, one of them making Pagano HC makes it possible (however unlikely) to bring back Fangio if he’s fired from Denver next year.  And maybe ... just maybe... he has an inside track in talking Luck into coming out of retitement.  

Yeah, the "rah-rah-rah, sis-cum-bah" thing only works so long.  Last year worked because the D was getting ridiculous turnovers.  It was smoke & mirrors.  Sure, a better QB will get some better results.   But, so much of the problem is Nagy.  We were sold on a bill of goods that he would get us into the 20th century on O.  We've reverted to 1,000,000 BC...

15 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Yeah, the "rah-rah-rah, sis-cum-bah" thing only works so long.  Last year worked because the D was getting ridiculous turnovers.  It was smoke & mirrors.  Sure, a better QB will get some better results.   But, so much of the problem is Nagy.  We were sold on a bill of goods that he would get us into the 20th century on O.  We've reverted to 1,000,000 BC...

Oh I WISH. 1,000,000 BC is I formation, or single wing.

This crap is just science fiction - it pretends to be super futuristic, but it isnt real.

He was just being of lauded buy everyone last year.  Stole Mack from the Raiders.  Locked up Hicks, Goldman and Whitehair.  Drafted Jackson and saw the renaissance of Fuller.  

We have the pieces and are in decent cap shape as compared to poorly ran organizations.  He and Nagy get one more year.  What they do with it will matter greatly.

I agree on Pace, but I have seen nothing at all that makes me want to keep Nagy.

PASSING GAME

like Trestman, there are futuristic concepts, and they work(ed) for a while, but in the end it is football, and you cant outscheme the league perpetually

RUNNING GAME

a serious flaw. This guy has never called a game with a serious running attack. Over two teams and three seasons. this is his primary downfall. he is a passing guru, but this isnt video football.

CULTURE

a total bust. probably a guy youd LOVE to work with. In any other setting he'd be a rock star. But this is football, and the coddling is clearly hurting everyone.

1 out of 3 IS bad.

Nagy has to prove it NOW to avoid being fired this year if I am the GM.

If he can show it on the field, with Trubisky or Daniel, that would change things. But right now, I see a really friendly guy, a guy I LIKE, who has some crazy pass ideas and is failing in the run game and creating a competitive locker room.

This is not rehab or a safe space. Its freaking football.