Whitehair back at Center

adam

Too little too late? After losing 4 straight games after starting 3-1 with an anemic offense, you finally decide maybe now it's time to admit your mistake and go back to what worked last year? I am glad they are doing it, don't get me wrong, but it seemed like everyone was calling for this back in Week 1. Daniels is clearly struggling, and with him at Center, he can't help Coward at RG, making a huge void in the line.

So I like the move and think it is long overdue. 

35 minutes ago, adam said:

Too little too late? After losing 4 straight games after starting 3-1 with an anemic offense, you finally decide maybe now it's time to admit your mistake and go back to what worked last year?

Yes.  IF this helps Trubisky play better and suddenly the offense improves, he'll be roasted for not making this decision sooner (as he should be). However if both Trubisky and the offense continue to struggle then he didn't make enough changes...Trubisky being the primary piece of the equation.  

And the last part of the clip you added where Nagy didn't want to talk about the strategy makes me think he was uncomfortable with the timing of the change.   

but will Nagy run the ball in man on man blocking schemes? or will it all still be traps and pulls the few times he does hand it off?

Im telling you, I know Im ahead of the curve, but this is on Nagy, and time will prove me right.

And when its too late to utilize this defense and Mack, youll realize I was right about firing Nagy now.

1 minute ago, BearFan NYC said:

but will Nagy run the ball in man on man blocking schemes? or will it all still be traps and pulls the few times he does hand it off?

Im telling you, I know Im ahead of the curve, but this is on Nagy, and time will prove me right.

And when its too late to utilize this defense and Mack, youll realize I was right about firing Nagy now.

I'm with you on Nagy...  I wish Pace or George would have the stones to make the move.  But they don't, so here we go again...

2 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

I'm with you on Nagy...  I wish Pace or George would have the stones to make the move.  But they don't, so here we go again...

yup.

If Pace does it Ill be surprised and impressed, but if George does it, hes gonna fire Pace too, and that means we lose Mack and the D.

Mitch was quoted after the game and it is very evident how much more trust he has in Whitehair.  This is a permanent change and hopefully Whitehair's snapping issues don't burn us too much.  This line has talent so to me there is a huge coaching/scheme issue at play when it comes to the teams inability to consistently run & pass block. 

18 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Mitch was quoted after the game and it is very evident how much more trust he has in Whitehair.  This is a permanent change and hopefully Whitehair's snapping issues don't burn us too much.  This line has talent so to me there is a huge coaching/scheme issue at play when it comes to the teams inability to consistently run & pass block. 

We know Whitehair is capable of playing better (ie clean snaps) as he gets more reps in practice and game snaps this should get cleaned up.  Why the change was made this offseason is a head scratcher, as he performed well there last year the move created issues at two positions.  Regardless of why, and the timing of switching them back, can't change the past but this move can't hurt.  He does need to clean up the bad snaps, so much is timing based and when your QB has to take his eyes off the play to secure the ball after the snap, be it low, dribbled, high etc.  I feel like we've done things that have not helped Mitch build on last year, whether it's switching up his center, telling him not to run, not using the run game to elevate pressure, etc. Not that that absolves Mitch for his regression.  A top tier QB or even a second tier QB can overcome those things and at the very least perform at a higher level than we've seen from Mitch. Up till that TD drive to end the first half against the Lions he just didn't look right, hasn't looked right for much of the year, you can see it in his eyes he was not having fun, not playing lose, or confident.  He looked like a QB playing scared.  From that drive on he looked more himself like he was having fun, and looked more confident.  Will he build on that, or will go back into his shell.  Just as important as the comfort between Whitehair and Mitch is getting the run game going by actually opening holes.  Hard to run when your getting hit before you reach the line.  We are losing the battle for the line of scrimmage on offense and that is one of the key reasons for the struggles we've seen.  

Whitehair was drafted to be a guard and Daniels a center.  I understand why they made the move on the off-season, because they thought they would make each of them better.  Again, Nagy not working players in pre season games proved a failure.  Now, if the move was a total flop the switch should have been made at the bye.  Amd again, on Nagy.  He'll learn or coach himself out of a job.

11 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Whitehair was drafted to be a guard and Daniels a center.  I understand why they made the move on the off-season, because they thought they would make each of them better.  Again, Nagy not working players in pre season games proved a failure.  Now, if the move was a total flop the switch should have been made at the bye.  Amd again, on Nagy.  He'll learn or coach himself out of a job.

exactly. why they didnt switch at the bye is a mystery.

Why it took 7 weeks to run the first power run from under center to montgomery with a lead blocker is another.

and the disco dance parties are really starting to bug me.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

and the disco dance parties are really starting to bug me.

I’m with you.  But I wonder if he’s not trying to conjure up the mojo from last year and see if the team will positively build odd that energy.

Still, being a guy who appreciates words like ‘despicable’ to describe last weeks’ win I have a hard time understanding that way of motivation.  It’s like seeing when a guy makes a catch short of the first down  celebrate the fact he caught the pass like he won the super bowl.  I just don’t get it. 

It's not just a matter of opinion. The greatest coaches in NFL history have all treated their alpha competitive men in a less gentle way, and gotten better results from them.

Of course he is trying to create momentum and mojo. But every coach is trying to do that, and the rest dont have dance parties. There must be other proven ways.

13 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

exactly. why they didnt switch at the bye is a mystery.

Why it took 7 weeks to run the first power run from under center to montgomery with a lead blocker is another.

and the disco dance parties are really starting to bug me.

Because while everyone else is playing chess, we are playing Candyland...  Not even checkers.  Checkers requires some skill and not just dumb luck.

7 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

Because while everyone else is playing chess, we are playing Candyland...  Not even checkers.  Checkers requires some skill and not just dumb luck.

totally. and I do think there is talent on this roster.

I don't mind the club dub thing if it's earned but at 4-5, and having struggled to beat a bad Lions team without it's starting QB.  That is not a reason to celebrate, you limped to a win that finally broke a 4 game skid. This is the equivalent of celebrating a sack when your getting blown out.  I believe you should have to earn the right to do these kinds of things.  And this year the team hasn't earned it.  It feels like handing out trophies for participation.  

Tony Dungy was on the "Under Center Podcast", which is a pretty good listen. He said that the 2nd year is always a tough year for a new coach as teams will have adjusted to your first year and would start to take away what you like to do. Nagy has been slow to adjust to that and players are underperforming. 

About Club Dub, a bunch of pro sports teams do a little celebration after wins, the Bears are one of a few teams that actually show it publicly. Maybe the best would be to keep it private going forward.