Kerrith Whyte claimed of PS by Steelers

adam

This sucks. One of the loopholes to the Practice Squads. As long as players are signed to 53-man rosters, you can lose your PS players. We just lost Whyte. Surprised we didn't put Trevathan on IR immediately and brought Whyte up. He was a 7th Round Pick.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meh...he was a Pace draftee so ... good luck Kerrith.  I have a feeling Nall will get some serious usage tonight and forget all about him.  

Yeah true, but you hate to lose a draft pick regardless of what round for nothing.

the other way to look at that is that when you get a deep roster, you lose players more.

We didnt get nothing for the pick, we got a good look at him in comparison to others.

Remember, last year the running game was invisible, and so Pace did a LOT to be sure to fix it. He used the shotgun approach, getting Davis in Free Agency, and drafting Montgomery and Whyte while picking up other low level free agents too.

He never intended all of these players to make the roster. That would be impossible numbers wise. Was he that much of a fool? Or was he hedging his bet to be SURE to repair the running game?

And now we see that it might be the playcalling more than the talent at Running Back that's holding the running game back.

So this wasnt a failure by Pace, it was an example of having bought insurance and filling the position.

23 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

So this wasnt a failure by Pace, it was an example of having bought insurance and filling the position

Problem is, I’m going to be willing to bet that Whyte could’ve been had as an UDFA. So it feels like a loss because it was a draft pick; although lower but still a pick.  Had it been isolated that would be one thing BUT when you measure it against other picks Pace has engineered; Trubiksy, Shaheen, DHC, White, Fabuluge, Morgan ... (take a look at the link below) then that’s when I have my doubts.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bearswire.usatoday.com/gallery/chicago-bears-ryan-pace-nfl-draft-ranking-picks/amp/

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

So this wasnt a failure by Pace, it was an example of having bought insurance and filling the position.

We could use some insurance right now after releasing Davis and Montgomery banged up. Whyte was at least familiar with the offense and provided some special teams utility in the return game.