Bears 2020 Draft Outlook

adam

17 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I'd just like to echo the idea that Harbaugh is NOT what we need. And neither is Pat Fitzgerald. That is all.

Curious why not Fitzgerald?  I get why not Harbaugh (although personally I wouldn’t mind it) but trying to get a read on Fitz.

I don’t know enough about the guy but see he’s had a ‘decent’ career at NW.  And looking historically at our posts here a few have nominated him as a potential candidate for HC.  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer someone that isnt this hotshot OC or DC and has been  a head coach before. Fitz falls in that category. He has a history, success from an institute that has high standards that 70% of the recruits cant match. I dont know if he would be good or bad, but do you want another Offensive mind(Nagy) from a successful bloodline? I totally have no idea who, just know dismissing someone is not a good idea in looking for the right person. My problem is the same people keep picking the new people and we end up with the same results 5 yrs later. It is an ownership thing that will never change until the team is sold.

7 hours ago, adam said:

I wanted Claypool instead. To me, he would've been a much better weapon in this offense than Kmet has been. 

But Pace seen walterfootball had Claypool as a 3rd rd pick lol. 

I thought Philly ruined their team last night by pulling Hurts.  Now they could have ruined him and Wentz. 

14 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

But Pace seen walterfootball had Claypool as a 3rd rd pick lol. 

I thought Philly ruined their team last night by pulling Hurts.  Now they could have ruined him and Wentz. 

Yeah Ryan Walter Pace is an idiot. 

Philly is a hot mess. How can a franchise go from model franchise with SB win to this clown show? They couldn't even win a division with 7 wins and we got in playing with the #1 seed in our division. Howie Roseman was the Exec of the year in 2017 and look at this team now. That award is hot garbage, the 2016 winner was Reggie McKenzie of the Raiders, Roseman in 2017, and Pace in 2018. None of those franchises are in the top 10 of the league.

6 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

I love Pat Fitzgerald (he's my favorite college coach) but he would be a fool to leave NW where he calls the shots. He can coach there as long as he wants.  The pro level is a completely different thing. 

Peace

Yeah something tells me Urban Meyer is in for a rude awakening if he does indeed take an NFL HC job.  IMHO he’d be along the lines of how Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier or Nick Saban did in the NFL versus their College HC experiences.

On the other hand, where someone like Harbaugh hasn’t done so well in College (recently) he did better in the NFL.   

13 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah something tells me Urban Meyer is in for a rude awakening if he does indeed take an NFL HC job.  IMHO he’d be along the lines of how Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier or Nick Saban did in the NFL versus their College HC experiences.

On the other hand, where someone like Harbaugh hasn’t done so well in College (recently) he did better in the NFL.   

For starters, I will boycott the Bears for any tenure that Jim Harbaugh would be Bears HC.

Disagree with Meyer.  He's a culture builder.  The Jags have been craving that since the tenure of Colonel Coughlin proved to be too old school.  Meyer has cred with the players due to popularity and success everywhere he's been.  Never heard a negative thing from a former player or coach.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Yeah Ryan Walter Pace is an idiot. 

Philly is a hot mess. How can a franchise go from model franchise with SB win to this clown show? They couldn't even win a division with 7 wins and we got in playing with the #1 seed in our division. Howie Roseman was the Exec of the year in 2017 and look at this team now. That award is hot garbage, the 2016 winner was Reggie McKenzie of the Raiders, Roseman in 2017, and Pace in 2018. None of those franchises are in the top 10 of the league.

The coach really created a mess but I'm sure he had the blessing from GM to bench your highest paid man.  He will need to rebuild trust with both Wentz and Hurts because I don't see how the Eagles can carry 33 million in dead cap if Wentz gets traded.  Eagles big issue was Oline, which was mainly from losing 5 of their guys.  As for Pace, he has been pretty poor at top talent, pretty good in middle rounds, but overall didn't pass the test.

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The coach really created a mess but I'm sure he had the blessing from GM to bench your highest paid man.  He will need to rebuild trust with both Wentz and Hurts because I don't see how the Eagles can carry 33 million in dead cap if Wentz gets traded.  Eagles big issue was Oline, which was mainly from losing 5 of their guys.  As for Pace, he has been pretty poor at top talent, pretty good in middle rounds, but overall didn't pass the test.

I felt much better about Pace before this year where guys like Jackson and Cohen were huge contributors. However, Jackson has played no better than a 4th or 5th round safety and Cohen, even before injury have became a sideline gimmick runner. Pace has lost on basically all of his $100 bets, but won a few scratch offs. Every miss in the first or second rounds, he would need several hits in the later rounds to compensate. That has not happened. 

On 12/29/2019 at 11:33 PM, ParkerBear7 said:

Dreaming Big here:

Trade Mitch and three future 1st rounder picks to Cincinnati for number 1 pick 2020. Mitch gets a fresh start in his home state while Bengals start rebuilding.  Bears select Joe Burrow and and then use the two second picks to bring in OL talent. Address other needs via draft and FA.  

Nagy then has one season to work with a Franchise prototype NFL QB. Assuming he is not extended, Jim Harbaugh’s contract expires at Michigan in January 2021.  

HELL NO. That’s a horrible idea. The Bears need MORE picks, not less. And it’s arguable that a better pro WB May be there when they draft anyway. 

16 hours ago, jason said:

HELL NO. That’s a horrible idea. The Bears need MORE picks, not less. And it’s arguable that a better pro WB May be there when they draft anyway. 

Conceptually he’s not far off, especially in hindsight.  But yeah this is over a year and a pandemic ago.  Hey he even suggested getting OLmen with his idea.  You should like that.  

On 1/4/2021 at 4:48 PM, Mongo3451 said:

For starters, I will boycott the Bears for any tenure that Jim Harbaugh would be Bears HC

Was considering starting another thread on this because I’m genuinely curious.  Why not Harbaugh?  Didn’t he do well enough on the NFL stage to warrant another go?  And why not for a team that (on the surface) matches his coaching style?  That being brash and Bo Schmebecchler-ish.  

And this isn’t only for Mongo to answer, please anyone share your thoughts.  I have more opinions about how well Urban Meyer will do but I’ll save that for another day.  

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Was considering starting another thread on this because I’m genuinely curious.  Why not Harbaugh?  Didn’t he do well enough on the NFL stage to warrant another go?

He had some time in Indy and I live just outside of it.  I've heard directly from someone I love about what a piece of shit he is.  I'll give no details, but he's dead to me.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:18 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Curious why not Fitzgerald?  I get why not Harbaugh (although personally I wouldn’t mind it) but trying to get a read on Fitz.

I don’t know enough about the guy but see he’s had a ‘decent’ career at NW.  And looking historically at our posts here a few have nominated him as a potential candidate for HC.  

I dont think Fitzgerald is up to the rigors of the pro game. I dont think he is sophisticated enough in an Xs and Os kind of way, and i can see how they might like the feel good story etc - but if you actually succumb to that and start Rudy regularly as your running back, the Cinderella story just turns into you've got a guy that isn't really very good at running back LOL

Adam this might be in your wheelhouse.  Saw this story recently (below) in a few places.  That being Bears personnel man Champ Kelly is becoming highly sought after as a GM around the league.  First question I have is, why not for the Bears?  Anyhow, something I learned from this was if he’s taken by another team as a GM then the Bears could gain another third round draft pick(?). 

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/01/05/panthers-ask-for-permission-to-interview-bears-exec-champ-kelly-broncos-next/?fbclid=IwAR2p2Wzwjwaj8gjNj25QnA08VitgUe_VPIZVY9-opld-412fVHLwCSqGSeo

14 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I dont think Fitzgerald is up to the rigors of the pro game. I dont think he is sophisticated enough in an Xs and Os kind of way, and i can see how they might like the feel good story etc - but if you actually succumb to that and start Rudy regularly as your running back, the Cinderella story just turns into you've got a guy that isn't really very good at running back LOL

Makes sense.  I think it might be that he’s been successful enough at NW that he’s be considered for the big gig in town. Like Connor said though he (Fitz) can pretty much write his own ticket if he stays at NW. 

43 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Adam this might be in your wheelhouse.  Saw this story recently (below) in a few places.  That being Bears personnel man Champ Kelly is becoming highly sought after as a GM around the league.  First question I have is, why not for the Bears?  Anyhow, something I learned from this was if he’s taken by another team as a GM then the Bears could gain another third round draft pick(?). 

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/01/05/panthers-ask-for-permission-to-interview-bears-exec-champ-kelly-broncos-next/?fbclid=IwAR2p2Wzwjwaj8gjNj25QnA08VitgUe_VPIZVY9-opld-412fVHLwCSqGSeo

what role did he have in picking Trubisky over Watson or Mahomes?

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah, if he is hired the Bears would get an extra 3rd Round Comp pick in 2021 AND 2022, which would be huge. My assumption is that he would be considered for the Bears job if Pace is let go.

27 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, if he is hired the Bears would get an extra 3rd Round Comp pick in 2021 AND 2022, which would be huge. My assumption is that he would be considered for the Bears job if Pace is let go.

so when we hired Pace, we lost a few 3rd rounders (he traded them) but if we dont hire this guy we get them back! :) dont hire him LOL

I just looked, and first off I didnt realize that we had Champ Kelly on our staff. I remember him as a damned good DB back in the day. And remember, he was a Bronco as a player, and probably has some personal connection to John Elway too.

He was hired by the Bears and worked as director of pro scouting - so he was the one looking at free agents, but not draftable rookies. This is his second season as director of player personnel, which means he was a big part of the Quinn analysis. He's probably a big part of signing ARob, and Graham too.

So who knows. One thing is for sure - there is more to GM than picking players, but that's a big part of it. He was a hell of a player, so who am I to say what he can and can't do. I just guess that more times than not, an assistant GM is a better choice than a pure scouting guy. But Pace was an asst.

etc etc

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I just looked, and first off I didnt realize that we had Champ Kelly on our staff. I remember him as a damned good DB back in the day.

You’re not mistaking him for Champ Bailey are you?   Interesting enough, this Champ (Kelly) did work on the Broncos staff a few years ago as a scout and player manager.  (I had to look it up because I wasn’t 100% sure myself).